donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience, most of the folks installing lift kits are doing so in order to run bigger tires, and the bigger tires go on immediately.

I don’t recall dealer push-back on warranty work requests relating to springs/shocks/control arms — for the reasons you mentioned, and because the OEM versions of those parts are so often replaced by the aftermarket versions in the lift kits, and nobody expects the factory to warranty components the customer bought from TeraFlex (or whoever).

On the other hand, I have seen dealer pushback on steering component replacement because “the lift and big tires subjected the steering components to higher stresses that accelerated wear and induced the steering slop and cause the Jeep to wander”… (even though the same steering problems were being found and repaired on Jeeps of the same year with higher mileage.) That’s just one example. As I said, great dealers don‘t look for ways to dodge warranty claims, but there are some lousy service writers and/or dealers that respond like the example above.
Keep in mind Jeep is able to void a warranty if tires bigger than 35” are installed.

Magnuson-Moss Act puts the burden on Jeep to prove fault.

Trust that simple geometry can easily be used to influence the arbitrator or judge.
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Keep in mind Jeep is able to void a warranty if tires bigger than 35” are installed.

Magnuson-Moss Act puts the burden on Jeep to prove fault.

Trust that simple geometry can easily be used to influence the arbitrator or judge.
Exactly -- as long as the tires arguably "contributed to" the failure you're asking them to correct (like the steering example above). (Tires clearly would not be a basis for refusing to repair the radio or wipers, for example.) The challenge always distills to the service writer or dealer involved, as tire size can be used to deny warranty support for lots of expensive fixes, including transmission failures of various types.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I went through a number of dealers on long Island, before finding one who would perform the tsb for swapping out the aluminum steering box. My Jeep is heavily modified and there's not many factory components hanging from the frame rails. I was lifted 4" and on 38x13.5's at the time. Most service writers and managers wouldn't even leave their computer if they happened to see me pull in. Those who started walking across the lot would immediately pull a 180 after catching sight of it. Apparently, Jeeps warranty company considers a 2" lift and 35's as standard and allowed. Anything larger is considered extreme and presumed a liability.

I finally found a dealer with a service manager that understood that Jeeps are the most modified vehicles out there. We simply kneeled next to my Jeep for a little while, and I explained and showed him the level of supporting parts that I added to reinforce the lift and tires. He ended up getting authorization from the warranty company and the job was completed without a hitch.

Also worth mentioning, is that beach access is the only legal offroading in NY, so it's rare to see more than 2" lift and 35's around here. Often times, people ask if I'm a transplant from the Midwest, and the train of dealer employees that cycled past my Jeep on the lift was amusing. One of the common comments was in regard to how low the axles were hanging. They've never seen that much droop before, and many said that they've never seen such a highly modified Jeep in person.

The take away here, is that it all depends on finding a service department that has a genuine interest in making customers happy. I know that's becoming increasingly difficult nowadays, but it's not impossible. Also, leave the attitude out on the street and show some decency. Decent people in service industries like to help other decent people. Attitude will only trigger someone's defenses.

I also scored a brand new Pittman arm along with the new box, which wasn't in the tsb's parts list. They were missing something in their puller kit, and didn't want to make me wait for them to replace their tool. I offered to pay for it, but they wouldn't take my money. They said that I shouldn't have to pay for their lack of a proper tool.

Jeep Wrangler JL 35" and 37" JL pics with lift kit 20201009_083109
Jeep Wrangler JL 35" and 37" JL pics with lift kit 20201009_105858

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently, Jeeps warranty company considers a 2" lift and 35's as standard and allowed. Anything larger is considered extreme and presumed a liability.
I don’t blame them.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t blame them.
Neither do I. Most modified Jeeps that I've come across have had a lot of money spent on looks and accessories, but only bare minimal put towards properly supporting the lift and tires. That was one of my main talking points while giving a service manager and their lead tech a tour of the underside of my Jeep. He said the warranty company was hesitant to ok the steering box swap until he described my jeeps setup to them.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Neither do I. Most modified Jeeps that I've come across have had a lot of money spent on looks and accessories, but only bare minimal put towards properly supporting the lift and tires. That was one of my main talking points while giving a service manager and their lead tech a tour of the underside of my Jeep. He said the warranty company was hesitant to ok the steering box swap until he described my jeeps setup to them.
Yep, that's another good point. Jeep allows you to go to 35s on a Rubicon since it has Dana 44s, and 33s on anything that has Dana 30/35s, and they don't require you to regear. I think that's generous, and I've always respected and adhered to that guideline.

I have buddies who installed 37s through 40s on their Rubicons, and they insist "it's fine". I nod at them and figure they may have skipped or failed basic math/geometry class. They're headed towards repairs-ville at some point.

I'm fine with 35s, especially since they behave well on my cross country adventure trips, and I'm happy knowing I can go to any Jeep dealer for repairs, comfortable knowing it is all covered by warranty.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer

Sponsored

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturer
Yep, that's another good point. Jeep allows you to go to 35s on a Rubicon since it has Dana 44s, and 33s on anything that has Dana 30/35s, and they don't require you to regear. I think that's generous, and I've always respected and adhered to that guideline.

I have buddies who installed 37s through 40s on their Rubicons, and they insist "it's fine". I nod at them and figure they may have skipped or failed basic math/geometry class. They're headed towards repairs-ville at some point.

I'm fine with 35s, especially since they behave well on my cross country adventure trips, and I'm happy knowing I can go to any Jeep dealer for repairs, comfortable knowing it is all covered by warranty.
We'd run (and do run) 37's on JL 44's all day long. 40's can work, but it's pushing it if you are crawling in the big stuff.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

The current D44's are stronger than those used on prior generation Rubicons. I clocked about 35k miles with 38x13.5's. A short while back, I upgraded to RCV axle shafts, Dynatrac HD ball joints, Reid Racing knuckles, 2.5 ton aluminum steering linkages, and new hub assemblies. I didn't find any excessive wear on the original parts, but felt a great improvement in how solid the stronger parts made the Jeep feel. I'm purposely sticking with the factory 4.10's for 2 reasons. Shorter gears give a mechanical advantage over the leverage of larger tires, but the smaller pinion gear due to the limit in ring gear diameter introduces a weak point. The 2nd reason is simply that I don't want to put more money into these axles than I already have. If a cracked them open to regear, it would spiral into arb lockers.

After 2.5 years and a lot of modifications that are nearing completion, my plan is to stop giving my Jeep a monthly Christmas for a little while. I'm thinking of waiting until early next winter, when my work season is coming to an end, to upgrade to larger axles and more than likely a long arm conversion while I'm in there.

I understand some people's need for concern over factory warranties, but I'm not one of them. After my Jeep made it through its first 10k shakedown miles without a hitch, the flood gates were opened. In 57k miles, my Jeep has only been to a dealer once for the steering box swap, and that was more of a proactive move than a needed one. I did see an improvement, but didn't have any real complaints beforehand.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator
Have the same kit but with the 3.6 and Nitto 37s. Have you noticed rubbing the control arms when wheels are locked?
No not even a little bit. I’ve had this thing flexed all sorts of ways too.

mineapr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Finally installed my RK 2.5 lift. Specs on wheels and tires:

Black Rhino Rumble Wheels: 17x8.5 -22 offset 3.880 backspace
Dick Cepek Tires: 35X12.50R17LT

Jeep Wrangler JL 35" and 37" JL pics with lift kit IMG_8845.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL 35" and 37" JL pics with lift kit IMG_8845.JPG

Looks awesome. I started looking into your wheel/tire combo, and the specs I found (assuming they are right) are really light. Only 22 lb for the wheel and 63 for the tire, but the tires look massive for 35s. The -22 offset seems like a lot of poke, but maybe not with a 2.5 inch lift. Any chance you could post a few more more pics from various angles to show the stance?
Sponsored