35” Tire on the factory spare mount?

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
So, I opted for the OE hinge reinforcement option as I’ve read countless times that a 35” tire can be mounted to the spare tire mount. My beef isn’t with the reinforcement, it’s the fact that a 35” does NOT fit on the mount!
When I attempt to close the tailgate, the bottom of the new 35” tire hits the bumper and stops the tailgate from closing.
Am I doing something wrong?

Help. Thanks.

D6B51C7E-F462-43FA-AE1B-A911B323F688.jpeg
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You need to install the mopar tire carrier relocation bracket, which brings the stock carrier up by about 1.5” and also a little out, with spacers.
The tailgate reinforcement and the tire carrier relocation are supposed to be installed together. I’m guessing this is why.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Am I doing something wrong?
Nope. Had the same issue after having 33s installed. The bottom right of the spare would rub on my bumper when closing the tailgate. I have the plastic Sport S bumper on my Sport Altitude. I installed a Red Rock 4x4 relocation bracket and no more rub.

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
You need to install the mopar tire carrier relocation bracket, which brings the stock carrier up by about 1.5” and also a little out, with spacers.
The tailgate reinforcement and the tire carrier relocation are supposed to be installed together. I’m guessing this is why.
Is the relocation bracket part of the hinge reinforcement package? Or is it a separate item for purchase? Maybe I need to reach out to the dealer. Just got it yesterday.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is the relocation bracket part of the hinge reinforcement package? Or is it a separate item for purchase? Maybe I need to reach out to the dealer. Just got it yesterday.

I believe it’s 2 separate items. You can order the reinforcement to be installed at the factory. The relocation bracket is an optional add on. You cannot install the Mopar relocation bracket without the reinforcement.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
No it’s a separate product priced around $250. Though there are no-name ones on Amazon for half the price and there are also aftermarket ones from RC and Quadratec and others that do the same exact thing.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35” Tire on the factory spare mount? 8D1EA549-5041-45C2-9F5E-8B2A17DD87DC

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
Mine rubs a little but not bad. 35" KO2 so actual 34.5" tire. Not an issue for me.

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Hi all- From what I understand, there are two different spare tire mounts from the factory. For Sport, Sport S, Sahara and I think Willys as well, is the standard mount. Then there is the one that comes with the Rubicon, which re-positions the tire a bit higher up. I think this to be true (Rubicon owners can chime in). Then there is the Mopar re-positioning kit that I think you have to use (or other brands) to utilize a 35" or larger tire. That kit moves the brake light into the center where the camera is as well as moving everything up a few inches. What is not clear to me is if a Rubicon mount from the factory can facilitate a 35" tire. I could also be TOTALLY WRONG about any and all of this!

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Dealer installed? If so, I'd take it back to them and ask why they didn't install with the extra bracket to accommodate the larger tires.

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
Hi all- From what I understand, there are two different spare tire mounts from the factory. For Sport, Sport S, Sahara and I think Willys as well, is the standard mount. Then there is the one that comes with the Rubicon, which re-positions the tire a bit higher up. I think this to be true (Rubicon owners can chime in). Then there is the Mopar re-positioning kit that I think you have to use (or other brands) to utilize a 35" or larger tire. That kit moves the brake light into the center where the camera is as well as moving everything up a few inches. What is not clear to me is if a Rubicon mount from the factory can facilitate a 35" tire. I could also be TOTALLY WRONG about any and all of this!
I bet you are right that's why mine isn't an issue. I do have a Rubicon

Sponsored

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Rubi with 35" Nitto RG's on the stock Rubi upgraded rims and steel bumpers. Mine rubbed very slightly, but it was enough to bother me so I went with the Teraflex Alpha kit. I tried the Mopar relocation first and didn't like it as it was too high and far away from the Jeep. With the Teraflex you can adjust up / down / in / out until you get it perfect.

Rubi does have a slightly different carrier and the plastic bumpers have slightly more room I believe.

Last edited:

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
35" on 0 offset wheel not touching anywhere. Can fit fingers between tire and bumper at all spots.
JLUR stock tire holder.

cook03tj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'42 GPW; '21 Rubicon 392 (Sold: '85 XJ; '03 TJ)
I have a 392 and have 35 x 12.5 BFG MT on 17x9.5 rims, besides the mopar reinforcement do you guys know if I will need anything else?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’m running a “35”. On my Sahara I added the Mopar reinforcement and picked up a used Rubicon tire carrier ($35)with the light extended and secured by two bolts instead of the original 4. Plenty. Clears my stock plastic bumper just fine. The rubber bumpers are compressed like they should be to limit tire movement. 34.5” 295/70/18 tire.

Jeep Wrangler JL 35” Tire on the factory spare mount? 14166FDD-6AA2-4ECA-8CD3-B64773F70AF9

Jeep Wrangler JL 35” Tire on the factory spare mount? ACEFFD30-6541-4550-B4B2-B9D332947461

Jeep Wrangler JL 35” Tire on the factory spare mount? 4FDA8CBF-22E0-49C7-AC1A-504954D9F138

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
35" on 0 offset wheel not touching anywhere. Can fit fingers between tire and bumper at all spots.
JLUR stock tire holder.
Well, the offset shifted the spare further away from the tailgate. It may have clearance, but it's no longer pressed firmly into the rubber gate bumpers that prevent excessive movement. That movement could potentially cause damage down the line. Also, cantilevered weight amplifies its affect on what its mounted to. I always highly recommend a proper fully adjustable carrier, which can accommodate different backspaced wheels and tire heights.
Sponsored