35’s with 8 speed transmission and 3.43 gears

Tbensor

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500
Anyone running this combo and if so how does the keep do at highway speeds. Can it get into 8th and maintain speed. Trying to decide if I need the Rubicon for the 4.11
Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Guess it depends on a few things. One being the tire and wheel combo you use. I had a lighter wheel at 22 lbs and lighter tire at around 64 lbs or whatever it was. I definitely felt it a little sluggish but I ran it for about 10 months no problems. You won't see 8th gear much at all unless you stay around 60ish.

I recently went to 4.88s, had it with the 35s for a week or so and it worked much better. Right now I am on 37s and it is working great.

Can you do 35s with the stock sport gears of 3.45. Sure. It won't be ideal by any means but you might be happy enough. Honestly if I didn't want to just keep doing mods to my Jeep, I would have likely been happy with my old setup. It did what I needed it to do. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on gears so I did them myself to save a bit. That made it worth doing for me. But even so I think I would have paid to have them done since it makes the Jeep more enjoyable overall. Off roading is where the 4.88s really shine. It raises the crawl ratio quite a lot.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Around town it was perfectly fine. The highway you start losing gears.

I'm fixing that at this very moment with 5.13's

Jeep Wrangler JL 35’s with 8 speed transmission and 3.43 gears IMG_5299

OP
OP

Tbensor

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500

IMG_5299.jpg
How about the 4.10 gears on the rubicon.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
How about the 4.11 gears on the rubicon.
I'm not sure to be honest. I have a Sport with the lowly 3.45's I THINK i've read that even they lose 8th gear on the freeway, but don't take that to the bank and try and cash it.

Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
How about the 4.11 gears on the rubicon.
The 4.10s on the rubicon will make it better. I don't have experience with it though. After going to 4.88s I think I would either do 4.56 for 35s or 4.88 at least if you plan to go to 37s anytime in the future.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I'm not sure to be honest. I have a Sport with the lowly 3.45's I THINK i've read that even they lose 8th gear on the freeway, but don't take that to the bank and try and cash it.
A Sport with Rubicon takeoff 33s will lose 8th gear on the freeway under most conditions. It will still run 8th under ideal conditions. A sport in 7th gear is very close to the gearing of the Rubicon in 8th and some Rubicon owners complain about not getting 8th gear which I don't understand at all. I don't think 35s on a Sport is that much different from running 33s. I suppose it depends on how much highway driving you intend to do.
I put the Rubicon 33s on my Sport and I like that look. The tires look fine to me but do look on the small side compared to some other Jeeps that I see. If you want bigger tires then go to 35s and accept the consequences. If you want bigger tires for trails then go with 37s and get better gears either by swapping gears in your Sport or just buy a Rubicon to start with.
I do a lot of long highway miles in my Sport and lost 10-15% of the fuel mileage compared to the stock small tires.

OP
OP

Tbensor

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500
A Sport with Rubicon takeoff 33s will lose 8th gear on the freeway under most conditions. It will still run 8th under ideal conditions. A sport in 7th gear is very close to the gearing of the Rubicon in 8th and some Rubicon owners complain about not getting 8th gear which I don't understand at all. I don't think 35s on a Sport is that much different from running 33s. I suppose it depends on how much highway driving you intend to do.
I put the Rubicon 33s on my Sport and I like that look. The tires look fine to me but do look on the small side compared to some other Jeeps that I see. If you want bigger tires then go to 35s and accept the consequences. If you want bigger tires for trails then go with 37s and get better gears either by swapping gears in your Sport or just buy a Rubicon to start with.
I do a lot of long highway miles in my Sport and lost 10-15% of the fuel mileage compared to the stock small tires.
This is very helpful. Thank you

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I run 35’s on my sport s. I can hit 8th until 72 mph. After that it stays in 7th for the most part. I dropped about 1mpg both highway and city but I’m still averaging 17 city and 19 highway which is good for a jeep. I wheel it regularly at Raush creek or AOAA and have had no issues with the setup. I do also run a hikeit throttle controller as well.

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I run 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my Sport which is technically only a 34.6in tire but lets round up to 35in. I can confirm that 8th gear is a rare occurrence on the highway, usually only happens if you are coasting down a hill at a good speed. 7th is typically the highest I see which sits around 2600-2800 rpm @ 75mph. I'm happy with it, no reason to regear for me.

Sponsored

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
I run 35’s on my sport s. I can hit 8th until 72 mph. After that it stays in 7th for the most part. I dropped about 1mpg both highway and city but I’m still averaging 17 city and 19 highway which is good for a jeep. I wheel it regularly at Raush creek or AOAA and have had no issues with the setup. I do also run a hikeit throttle controller as well.
That’s good info. My stock Sport S tires and gears lose 8th at 77 mph. On the interstate I set the cruise at 80 mph so I’m in 7th anyway.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I run 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my Sport which is technically only a 34.6in tire but lets round up to 35in. I can confirm that 8th gear is a rare occurrence on the highway, usually only happens if you are coasting down a hill at a good speed. 7th is typically the highest I see which sits around 2600-2800 rpm @ 75mph. I'm happy with it, no reason to regear for me.
I could be wrong but I think you would be in 6th gear at those rpm’s. I’m at around 2200-2300 at 75mph and if I have to give it some gas to pass I usually hit 2800-3000 rpm’s when it drops to 6th.

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I could be wrong but I think you would be in 6th gear at those rpm’s. I’m at around 2200-2300 at 75mph and if I have to give it some gas to pass I usually hit 2800-3000 rpm’s when it drops to 6th.
You're right, its probably 6th gear at that speed. Most of the time it shifts into 7th when im pushing 80+ mph. Either way, no reason to regear in my experience.

Tru-Trac

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL 35’s with 8 speed transmission and 3.43 gears IMG_5299
Do you have 35s and auto with 5.13s? That’s the combo I’m going to do. How do you like it?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Do you have 35s and auto with 5.13s? That’s the combo I’m going to do. How do you like it?
Thats the combo I'll have yeah. Still working on the install. Just got done building the DIY case spreader, carrier going in is the very next step.

tl;dr I don't know if I like it yet or not 🤣
Sponsored