35’s on Stock Rubicon

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
This forum has been very helpful. However, I have noticed different answers on tire size related inquiries. I need to make a decision on whether upgrading to 35’s is a good idea - same tire in a bigger size on a Rubicon stock wheel - purely for looks and not much off-roading.

Questions as follows:
- Do I need to regear/calibrate?
- Will the spare fit on the carrier (steal bumpers)
- Will this have any warranty implications?
- Will this have a LT effect on the Jeep?
- Anything else that we should consider outside the one or two mile loss on MPG?

Thank you in advance for your insight!
Sponsored

NHJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 CJ5
Very similar question here. I think I found one person saying the 315 ko2 went on without issue with the steel bumper specifically, but information seems conflicting. Picking up my jlur tomorrow with the reinforced gate, but I didn't bother with a relocation kit for the bigger ko2's I have waiting to put on the stock wheels.

Would really appreciate comments and pictures from anyone that put this size tire on a stock rubicon wheel with the steel bumpers to set my mind at ease!

OP
OP
Altahami

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
Congrats!

Mine has been in KZ for a week now and dealer is less than 50 miles away from plant.

Hopefully I get a call tomorrow or Tuesday!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
You will have to set correct you speedo for the correct tire size, you can do this thru the dealer $$$ or buy a programmer like a Tazer or Flashcal but those cost $$ as well and you can also not do anything with the speedo and just remember you will be running slightly faster than you’re speedo says.

If it’s an AT your tranny will automatically relearn shift points but with the added weight you will lose alittle pep and it will mostly ride in 7th gear which is no big deal, as far as regearing the cost to have it done I would guess to be about $1k unless you do it but it’s a process.

I am currently running 315 KO2’s on my all stock Sahara but I had it lifted with an 2.5” RC budget boost but from my understanding a rubicon can run 35’s without a lift as it sits higher than a Sahara and the axels are longer, I also have an RC spare tire relocator but no reinforcement on the swing gate as I was told by the shop that did my lift it would be wasted $$ so I passed and have had zero issues.

NHJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 CJ5
Received the jlur on Wednesday and new 315/70 r17 ko2's installed today. To answer my own question from above:

With the steel bumper package this tire perfectly fits on the spare tire carrier. At first the tire shop said it didn't, but once the gate was opened and they bolted it on straight the gate closed with no rubbing. I have the reinforced hinge, but no changes to the stock mounting location, and no need to move the brake light. If someone is looking for an easy install that takes full advantage of space allowed, I can't imagine it getting better then this.

Stock rubicon wheels
Reinforced carrier
No issues with backup sensors
No obstruction in rear camera view

Hope this helps answer others questions too.
Sponsored