Sponsored

35’s on stock Rubicon shift points/odo.??

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have around 300miles on my 2018 JLU Rubicon, I was wondering if It is really necessary to recalibrate the speedometer?
My main concern is how these larger tires will affect the shift points on the 8 speed tranny.
What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Likely to effect traction control, ABS and steering. Doesn't the steering assist amount adjust based on speed?
Mine was off because the Dealer set the cal by guessing since it came up as last cal at 34" and my tires actual measurement is around 32. Speedo reading 55 when actually going 50 which explains the tail gaters. I used an I phone speedo app and it said I was going 70 when the speedo was at 77.
Didn't notice much change in auto/shift points. i believe most cars now have adaptive features that adjusts shift points depending on how you drive. If you put your foot in it more, over time the shift points will gradually change which may be why some don't notice too much difference with the auto.

One of the things mentioned with Dodge Challenger's that I have read is if you drive a lot of stop and go city traffic over time the car starts feeling sluggish. Then you disconnect the battery or pull the ECU fuse and re connect after a few minutes then drive a bit more aggressively. This resets the adaptive learn feature of the transmission control. Even my 2003 Rubicon has this. It shifted at very low rpms at first until I put my foot into it a bit more and adapted to shift at higher rpms over time.

Last edited:

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely worth it on the Sport/Sahara but it's not as drastic on the Rubicon from what I read.

How I would test it is to see if at your normal hwy speeds if your trans still shifts into 8th gear. On my Sport it didn't seem to interested in shifting into 8th gear until I got the recalibration at the dealer all went back to normal.
Sponsored