Lionel Hutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR AEV 370
all i read was "BUY THESE!" so i went to https://getdubs.com/

the link says they are no longer available on amazon! :(
you send me a "hero" that i cant have lol
Ah, sorry. They were bought from Woot a very long time ago and I actually never used them until this trip. A search on Amazon for "acoustic filter earplugs" should return similar items.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR AEV 370
Thanks for sharing your trip info! So many great trails out to explore everywhere! Isn’t it amazing what these vehicles can do and the pure fun/enjoyment factor? Great to hear from another 3.6 AT satisfied owner, too!
The AT was pretty impressive. On climbs and level ground, leave it in auto and let it find the right gear. On a descending grade, flip it to manual shift and click into the gear needed to hold a safe speed. Unless I needed to come to a complete stop and let someone go by me I never touched the brakes on the way down the pass.

When I was a teenager if you told me I'd be driving a four-door Jeep, with an automatic transmission, and V6 engine from a mini van I would have laughed. It's a great combo for trails and daily driving.

OP
OP
Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR AEV 370
Sounds like a great time! Like @Obispo325 Telluride is my happy place, just can't get enough happy unfortunately :(
Went there to ski the first year they opened way back in '72 before it was truly discovered, quite different now but still amazing, just in different ways.

Too bad you couldn't get up to Engineer, we went up from Silverton to Engineer summit and back down through Poughkeepsie for a nice day loop, maybe next time!
Definitely next time. I would also put more effort into finding a group and meeting up when out there.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Definitely next time. I would also put more effort into finding a group and meeting up when out there.
Even way out in Michigan, that Colorado beauty and epic network of trails makes it hard to stay away. I'd imagine you were already planning another trip out during your drive home :)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I'd imagine you were already planning another trip out during your drive home :)
That's what we do to pass the time....... We start adding points of instrest to the map. For our next adventures.

Sponsored

rick6633

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee, 2022 Eco Diesel AEV JLUR
Occupation
Security Consulting
What a great write up! Thanks and the photos were great too. I'm currently in Idaho and planning a trip to that area 1st of September. Meeting friends to tackle Red Cone, a few days in Estes Park and then on to Euray and Telluride area to do some of the BoH trails. I'll be towing my little Boreas XT. Your post was the perfect little push to make sure if happens. As long as the weather doesn't go north. I spent the first ten years of my retirement riding my adventure bike back and forth across the continent. Now I'm back to my roots in a Wrangler. And you're right, it's the perfect vehicle to do it all. And it doesn't hurt that we have some AEV parts and pieces. Yours looks great. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR AEV 370
What a great write up! Thanks and the photos were great too. I'm currently in Idaho and planning a trip to that area 1st of September. Meeting friends to tackle Red Cone, a few days in Estes Park and then on to Euray and Telluride area to do some of the BoH trails. I'll be towing my little Boreas XT. Your post was the perfect little push to make sure if happens. As long as the weather doesn't go north. I spent the first ten years of my retirement riding my adventure bike back and forth across the continent. Now I'm back to my roots in a Wrangler. And you're right, it's the perfect vehicle to do it all. And it doesn't hurt that we have some AEV parts and pieces. Yours looks great. Thanks again.
Happy to help with the motivation to get out there. The AEV components did great on the road and trail. With a diesel you will move effortlessly through the trails.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Awesome trip! That's how I got the seed planted to move to CO, road trip from the Midwest! It took me about 15 years but I finally made it! Glad you enjoyed the trip!

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
How were you able to manage more than eight hours at a time? I did the first part on my western summer trip from oh to ia in nine hours it was Hard. Everything else was 8 or less. I also thought the windmills were cool don’t see allot of that in oh. It broke up the constant farm scenery

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Meeting friends to tackle Red Cone, a few days in Estes Park and then on to Euray and Telluride area to do some of the BoH trails. I'll be towing my little Boreas XT.
Are you planning on taking the trailer through Red Cone? If you do then I hope your have amazing brakes.

A few weeks ago we explained to everyone to put it in 4lo, 1st gear, and don't touch the gas or brakes. One of the Wranglers apparently didn't follow every directive and lost their brakes. Fortunately the Wrangler in front of them was able to get out of their way. We're thinking that the overall gearing in their Sport was too tall and didn't slow them sufficiently.

That's, of course, without a trailer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Nice pics. Was just out there and did the same trails, wouldn't be surprised if we missed each other by a couple days or even hours. We were on the trails on 8/13 but didn't stop in Telluride for long because it was insanely busy/crowded.
The Telluride Jazz Festival was that weekend. Music festivals there are amazing, especially with their summer weather and breathtaking backdrops. They can, however, overwhelm the town.

rick6633

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 3.6 Grand Cherokee, 2022 Eco Diesel AEV JLUR
Occupation
Security Consulting
Are you planning on taking the trailer through Red Cone? If you do then I hope your have amazing brakes.

A few weeks ago we explained to everyone to put it in 4lo, 1st gear, and don't touch the gas or brakes. One of the Wranglers apparently didn't follow ever directive and lost their brakes. Fortunately the Wrangler in front of them was able to get out of their way. We're thinking that the overall gearing in their Sport was too tall and didn't slow them sufficiently.

That's, of course, without a trailer.
Hey thanks for the response. Don’t plan on taking the trailer up red cone. Think we’ll leave them in camp.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Nice! Where did you go in Michigan?
Crossed Mackinaw bridge and spent a few days in the Traverse city western countryside. Then spent a few days in Newaygo state park and visited my family. Now we are outside of Ithaca, NY for a few days before heading to Vermont and Maine for a few weeks!

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
Just over 3400 roundtrip miles from Michigan to Colorado. I set out to do some Badge of Honor trails, get away from work, and use the Jeep in a way I can't in Michigan.

IMG_6205.jpeg

I gave myself a few days to comfortably get to Telluride. The longest roundtrip drive prior to this trip was 4-500 miles. I really wasn't sure how I'd fare on such a long drive running 37s and with the interior noise. I wore these for 99% of the drive and they were the unsung hero of the trip. They cut all the wind and road noise while still allowing me to hear music and podcasts. 10-12 hour days in the Jeep would have been a lot more fatiguing if I didn't have them.

71435067479__3CB1C318-8830-4C1F-944B-B66AAA1F8AD5.jpeg

I didn't take any pictures of Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, or Nebraska. I wasn't sure how to get a picture of the wind on I-80 through Nebraska.

Telluride is my new favorite place. The landscape and vibe in the area is very cool. A few shots from the balcony of my room in town. The morning would be clear and then it would rain each day in the early afternoon for 30-60 minutes.
71382627559__03A08D77-1016-477A-9502-E75960F607DA.jpeg

71382626377__9709F5AC-4868-4E48-9252-2C5A03AF6D8A.jpeg

I was solo on the trip, and with the rain, my first time being on the trails, I only completed two BoH trails. I ran Ophir and Imogene on the full days I was there. Yankee Boy Basin and Million Dollar Highway were also done because of the trail exits. Black Bear was closed and Engineer was a full day based on mileage and how long it took me to complete the two shorter trails (about 4 hours each).

Ophir was the first trail I completed and the shelf road felt worse than it really was. There wasn't anything terribly technical on the trail other than the elevation and narrow road.

IMG_6116.jpeg

IMG_6119.jpeg

IMG_6117.jpeg

IMG_6125.jpeg

The next day was Imogene. This trail was by far the high point of the trip. I would definitely run Imogene again if I went back. The morning was 57 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, I had the front panels off the top. The warmth of the sun at elevation and the open air experience made the drive really memorable. I picked up the trail in Telluride and exited on the Ouray side. I think I had a smile on my face the entire drive back from Ouray.

71397655564__6C96B57F-68DC-4263-9C21-CE8280EC0760.jpeg

IMG_6144.jpeg

IMG_6147.jpeg

IMG_6150.jpeg

IMG_6155.jpeg

IMG_6162.jpeg

IMG_6166.jpeg

IMG_6173.jpeg

Lunch in Ouray. I managed to sneak in a burger and beer outside before the rain blew in for the afternoon.
71399399115__819C63B3-69BC-4ACC-9627-AEDE5D635A8B.jpeg

71399401862__B36B670F-9672-4706-A812-36218BF2CBD4.jpeg

Understandably, the forums for any vehicle are full of questions and complaints. For whatever it's worth to others thinking of a long road trip or buying a Jeep, I couldn't be happier with the performance of the Jeep. I didn't have a single issue on the entire trip. The Jeep was flawless on both the highway and trail driving. With the 3.6L/8-speed auto I never noticed power loss driving through the mountains, overheating, or any other issue at elevation.

From a modern engineering perspective, the capabilities from top to bottom are pretty amazing. Being able to use a single vehicle to get to a trail, remove and store part of the top, air down the tires, disconnect the front axle, run in 4Lo, and get home all in one piece is a testament to how well designed it really is. It's a far more capable vehicle than I am driver and it really did feel like a go anywhere, do anything vehicle. I wouldn't have wanted to experience the drive, scenery, and trails in anything other than a Jeep.
Tks for sharing...

I recently made a 3500 miles trip from Vancouver, BC, Canada to San Diego, California, (of course, did the Rubicon Trail too.) My Jeep is amazing!

I shall look forward to going to Colorado and Utah.

Tks again for sharing.

Tbogo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 2021 Raptor 801A
Nice trip! I've been to Telluride at least 4 times now with the first being in the early 70's in my dad's 55 Willy's station wagon. How did you manage to get 19 mpg with 37's. I have 33's on my JLUR XR and can only get about 15 mpg. What mods did you do to run 37's?
Sponsored