jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good. I agree a lift would would set things off. @jmcdtucson red JL looks sharp. How does it ride and drive?
It drives similar to stock, a bit more stiff but not in a bad way. It steers better with the longer LCAs from the Mopar lift. The suspension is far better off road. It's just night and day.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KiknTiresLightnFires

KiknTiresLightnFires

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
That looks better. Here's mine - same as yours but with Rubi suspension and 3/4" spacers. If I was doing it again I might leave the 3/4" spacer off the rear for better leveling but this picture exaggerates the rake.
after-settled-jpg.jpg
That's the exact lift and look I'm going for. Can I just grab any rubi take off suspension or does it have to be maxed out with hardtop, steel bumpers, tow package, etc. There are a few guys selling rubi suspension take offs here with just the springs and shocks and they say they aren't sure of the exact setup that was on the Rubi. Seems a little suspect, but it's my first time grabbing this kind of stuff so I don't know.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
That's the exact lift and look I'm going for. Can I just grab any rubi take off suspension or does it have to be maxed out with hardtop, steel bumpers, tow package, etc. There are a few guys selling rubi suspension take offs here with just the springs and shocks and they say they aren't sure of the exact setup that was on the Rubi. Seems a little suspect, but it's my first time grabbing this kind of stuff so I don't know.
Here's what I put on:

#1 springs and shocks off a Rubicon. The key is the part numbers on the springs. Ask the seller what the part numbers are - they are on plastic labels attached to the springs. The last 2 ddigits are what you care about.
Mine were 60/61 (driver/passenger side) on the front and 91/92 in the rear. You probably want at least 60/61 on front and 90/91 on the rear. Each higher number gives you about 1/4" more.
You don't need anything else off the Rubicon except springs and shocks.

#2 Spacers (front and rear). I used 3/4" Daystar comfort lift spacers. You can also use the Teraflex 1/2" spacers - close enough. Both are inexpensive. $60 for the set is what I payed.

#3 Front lower control arms from the Mopar lift. This keeps your caster up around 6 which will help your steering. This is optional but highly recommended. $60 for the set of these also

I can give you links for the last 2 if you want.

OP
OP
KiknTiresLightnFires

KiknTiresLightnFires

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#1 springs and shocks off a Rubicon. The key is the part numbers on the springs. Ask the seller what the part numbers are - they are on plastic labels attached to the springs. The last 2 ddigits are what you care about.
Mine were 60/61 (driver/passenger side) on the front and 91/92 in the rear. You probably want at least 60/61 on front and 90/91 on the rear. Each higher number gives you about 1/4" more.
You don't need anything else off the Rubicon except springs and shocks.
Found a set with 60/61 front 90/91 rears. Should I keep looking for a 91/92 or take the deal as is?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Found a set with 60/61 front 90/91 rears. Should I keep looking for a 91/92 or take the deal as is?
I'd run those, you'll be fine, especially if it's a convenient pick up nearby.
Mine are 59/61 & 90/91 and they've worked great!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Those should be perfect, especially with your soft top. I'd add 1/2" or 3/4" spacers all around to get you up to about a 2" total lift.
What are your current spring numbers out of curiosity?

OP
OP
KiknTiresLightnFires

KiknTiresLightnFires

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are your current spring numbers out of curiosity?
Yeah, I was ideally looking for 2.5 inches of lift, but this is the first Rubi suspension set I've seen that has 60/61 the other 4 people I've talked to have 90/91s but only 59/60s. So if I do this one should I try and find some larger spacers? Or does it start to become an issue when you go bigger than .75?

Just crawled under and saw I have these. Let me know if it means anything to you.
Front L - 3657AC
Front R- 3658AC
Rear L - 3586AA
Rear R - 3587AA

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I was ideally looking for 2.5 inches of lift, but this is the first Rubi suspension set I've seen that has 60/61 the other 4 people I've talked to have 90/91s but only 59/60s. So if I do this one should I try and find some larger spacers? Or does it start to become an issue when you go bigger than .75?

FYI, my 18 JLUR was equipped with 61/62 front springs and 91/92 rear springs, which I believe are the highest spring rates on gas powered JL's (diesel's probably have higher rates in the front???). My JLUR has the 2.0 eTorque, tow package, steel bumper group, and hardtop.

So if you want a little stiffer spring for slightly more lift, find a JLUR with those same specs.

OP
OP
KiknTiresLightnFires

KiknTiresLightnFires

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if you want a little stiffer spring for slightly more lift, find a JLUR with those same specs.
Yeah I've been looking all over for those specs. I've talked to about 7 people that have been selling in the southern CA area and no one has anything like that. Closest I've found is a guy up in LA that has the 60/61 and 90/91s

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Just crawled under and saw I have these. Let me know if it means anything to you.
Front L - 3657AC
Front R- 3658AC
Rear L - 3586AA
Rear R - 3587AA
You have 1 less on the back than I started with and same on front. So you're looking at pretty close to the maximum lift. You could get 1 more number front and back but that's rare.
You can look at the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit if you want more lift than the 3/4" spacers I have. Might need an adjustable track bar to re-center your axles with that. Then again might not. Why not try it and find out :)

OP
OP
KiknTiresLightnFires

KiknTiresLightnFires

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have 1 less on the back than I started with and same on front. So you're looking at pretty close to the maximum lift. You could get 1 more number front and back but that's rare.
You can look at the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit if you want more lift than the 3/4" spacers I have.
So if I'm understanding you correctly. If I go with that rubi take off, get the 3/4 spacers, I'll have a lift that is a 1/4 inch less than yours? I think I can live with that. I like the look of the pictures you sent.

OP
OP
KiknTiresLightnFires

KiknTiresLightnFires

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I have an "in general" Question. Is there any reason the Rubicon suspension has this "lift" built in? Does it actually give the Rubi a lift or does the rubi just weigh more so it needs longer, stiffer springs? Just curious.
Sponsored