JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Im going with a 2"lift, 20"rim and 35,s on my Sahara.

I've read many posts from those who have done this and the difference is minimal
Sponsored

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep would be a DD and between work (42 miles per day, 30 of it highway), travelling to mountain bike races/training/camping/etc it would end up seeing 25-30k miles per year, hence my interest in the Sahara as it would meet my needs but I'm not a fan of the 18" wheels. I may make the occasional trip with the local Jeep club to hit the sand dunes at Silver Lake or run the 2 tracks on the state land in northern MI but that would be a rare occasion. So I'm faced with (anticipated) decreased performance if I stick 33's on a Sahara or be in the sweet spot with a Rubicon, albeit with lower MPG with both Jeeps but for different reasons. I'd be BS'ing myself, or anyone else, if I claimed that wasn't factored into the equation, especially with driving as much as I do. And yes, I get it's a brick on wheels.

Anyhow, Thank You for the feedback.
Iā€™m contemplating going 255/75R/17 on the Sahara to be the exact same size as factory.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I put 33ā€ on my stock rims, works great, drives great. 275/70-18.
Looks great, and thank you very much for taking time to post that, been wondering while waiting for 2dr jls to be available.

the 275s look like a good option if you dont want to add a lift (no rubbing) and regear. an inch wider will be nice on sand

Last edited:

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 1997 Cherokee, 1958 Buick, 03 Fatboy
Question for those who have put 33ā€™s on their Sport or Sahara - has the Jeep struggled to maintain the 8th gear when on the highway or going into a headwind? Iā€™m concerned that the 3.45 is insufficient for that size tire/wheel.
Ha, I havenā€™t seen 8th since I put my 33ā€ on lol. Other than that I love them. Didnā€™t buy if for the fuel economy.

Sponsored

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 1997 Cherokee, 1958 Buick, 03 Fatboy
Looks great, and thank you very much for taking time to post that, been wondering while waiting for 2dr jls to be available.

the 275s look like a good option if you dont want to add a lift (no rubbing) and regear. an inch wider will be nice on sand
I like the look of the wider tires, but my JK had wider and it was terrible to drive on the highway, I put on a lot of miles and wanted to enjoy the improved handling of the JL and havenā€™t been disappointed. Of coarse I always think I should have gone bigger lol.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Also that looks great, what tire/rim combo are you running on that?
Thanks! Rims are American Outlaw Revolver 17" x 8.5" +10 offset for 4.4" backspacing. I decided to match the 4.4" bs on the Mopar beadlock wheels. The tires stick out beyond the flares an inch or two. The tires are Pathfinder A/T 285/70/17. The spare has a 1-2" gap between the little rubber stops on the tailgate.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Ha, I havenā€™t seen 8th since I put my 33ā€ on lol. Other than that I love them. Didnā€™t buy if for the fuel economy.
Darn, the 275s are really a 32" so I was hoping they would fare better better without a re-gear than the 33s. I wish there was an option for 3:73s.

They obviously did the math too, and are luring people to Rubicon, or atleast us lazy guys

Sponsored

Mukluk

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Darn, the 275s are really a 32" so I was hoping they would fare better better without a re-gear than the 33s. I wish there was an option for 3:73s.

They obviously did the math too, and are luring people to Rubicon, or at least us lazy guys
'

Or forcing us to wait for the 2019 model year in hopes of different factory gearing options. Ordering for 2019 opens the end of September and production starts the end of October.

JGrand48219

First Name
J. Grand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 2011 Chevy Camaro SS, 2016 Harley Road Glide
Wow, you guys are like a jeep scientist...lol. Talking about gear ratios in relation to tire size and weight. Outside of a little road noise and a small decrease in gas mileage my Jeep is fine. If youā€™re concerned about gas mileage, you probably bought the wrong vehicle :cwl:

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
33s DO rub a bit on Sport S with no lift ... slightly on the bottom of the plastic piece that bridges the bumper to the fender flare.
I just removed the plastic sub-fender flare pieces. LOTS of tire clearance up front at full turn now. It feels good to have that off my 'to do' list.
IMG_1240.jpg

To remove them, you will also need to remove the plastic underbody guard.
Removing this will require a 5/16" socket to remove 2 screws, and something to pry out 6 or so plastic push pins. (After the sub-fender flare pieces are removed, you can reinstall the underbody guard)
IMG_1242.jpg

Removing the sub-fender flare pieces, you will need a T25, a 9/32" socket, and something to pry out some plastic push pins. There are 5x T25 screws that are fairly obvious. The hex head screw is easy to see too. The sixth T25 is underneath and farther inward toward the center of the bumper than I expected. There is a visible plastic push pin centered on the back of the sub-fender flare piece ... that you don't need to remove. The one you need to remove pushes up from the underside.
(This pic shows the T25 screws back in place for safe keeping after the sub-fender flare has been removed.)
IMG_1239.jpg

The job isn't hard ... just a little annoying to initially figure out why the piece wasn't coming out after removing the 5 screws. I hope this makes things easier for you. (I'm 90% sure of the socket sizes ... I don't feel like going back out to the cold garage to double check.)

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
What does the front of the JL look like without that under bumper guard? Just by looking at it, it doesn't look like there is a cross member to protect the steering like on the JK, just two boxed drop down supports from the frame rail extensions.

Ive been wanting to take this off, as Im sure its going to rip itself off the first time I reverse in deep mud....but don't want to leave that whole area unprotected.