33's on a Sport S

hbanghart24

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Manual
Which wheels are those and what is the offset? Looks great.
Thank you! These are the Pro Comp 32 wheels. I believe the offset was -6. I had spacers just in case but didn't end up needing them at all. Hope that helps!
Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
33's fit the carrier/bumper fine. The radius is only something like .75" larger than the the stock tire radius.
Appreciate the feedback on this, but also curious if the slight change in radius makes it necessary to recalibrate the speedo. Dealerships won't do this anymore, and I don't feel like buying a Tazer for only this purpose. Any advice/experience with this?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Appreciate the feedback on this, but also curious if the slight change in radius makes it necessary to recalibrate the speedo. Dealerships won't do this anymore, and I don't feel like buying a Tazer for only this purpose. Any advice/experience with this?
I put Rubicon takeoffs on my Sport. Going by theoretical measurements the bigger tires are nearly 4% larger diameter. This means 2.8mph off at highway speeds. I did not go through the trouble of recalibrating my speedometer for that small amount. Since the speedometer is off, the odometer is off by a similar amount and the mpg reported on the dash would also be off by that much.
I have checked this 4% by recording mileage on long trips from gas station to gas station then checking what google maps says the mileage is between those points and it agrees pretty closely.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
My 2021 80th Edition is stock height. I replaced the original 32" Bridgestones with 33" General Grabbers. No rubbing, no issues. Did a number of difficult trails in Moab last month w/o a problem.

Jeep Wrangler JL 33's on a Sport S jeep2

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
My daughter's '21 sport s 2 door
Method 309 Grid in Titanium
4.75" offset
rubicon BFG KO2 takeoffs (285)

Jeep Wrangler JL 33's on a Sport S IMG_5619
Jeep Wrangler JL 33's on a Sport S IMG_5620

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put Rubicon takeoffs on my Sport. Going by theoretical measurements the bigger tires are nearly 4% larger diameter. This means 2.8mph off at highway speeds. I did not go through the trouble of recalibrating my speedometer for that small amount. Since the speedometer is off, the odometer is off by a similar amount and the mpg reported on the dash would also be off by that much.
I have checked this 4% by recording mileage on long trips from gas station to gas station then checking what google maps says the mileage is between those points and it agrees pretty closely.
Thanks so much. I guess I was more concerned about effects on the transmission and shift points, rather than speedo accuracy. Is there any noticeable difference with the new tires?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much. I guess I was more concerned about effects on the transmission and shift points, rather than speedo accuracy. Is there any noticeable difference with the new tires?
At lower than highway speeds I don't notice any difference. At highway speeds the transmission is less apt to be in 8th, it seems that headwinds or any small incline in the road cause it to go to 7th. On the freeways in the city if slows down and then speeds up a little bit the trans will downshift in order to speed up. I don't know that reprogramming would change this since the speedo is not off by very much, I think it is more a matter of the gearing already being margin with 3.45 gears.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A 255/75/17 is 32.1" tall, a 285/70/17 is 32.7" tall, a 33x12.50x17 is 32.5" tall the difference in heights are not enough to need to recalibrate.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
This is my 2018 sport S with rubicon take offs after 3 years of bearing a winch and steel bumper. The front sagged from the weight, and just looked awkward with 33’s. It looked more station wagon than Jeep with the wheel wells so stuffed. No rubbing though, even at full flex and lock.

wDohq9Xl.jpg

This is after my Mopar lift. Now I have the opposite problem. They look like donuts now that the Jeep is sitting so high. Guess I’ll just have to get 35’s, lol. (I put the lift on in preparation for it to take 35’s)

r1y2iBgl.jpg

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
Unfortunately no pictures yet, but I replaced the 255/75 17 mud terrains (32s) with 285/75 17 all terrains (34s) the have been no issues on roads, haven't had it off road yet.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
This is my 2018 sport S with rubicon take offs after 3 years of bearing a winch and steel bumper. The front sagged from the weight, and just looked awkward with 33’s. It looked more station wagon than Jeep with the wheel wells so stuffed. No rubbing though, even at full flex and lock.

Jeep Wrangler JL 33's on a Sport S r1y2iBgl

This is after my Mopar lift. Now I have the opposite problem. They look like donuts now that the Jeep is sitting so high. Guess I’ll just have to get 35’s, lol. (I put the lift on in preparation for it to take 35’s)

Jeep Wrangler JL 33's on a Sport S r1y2iBgl
I don’t think that looks bad. Get 285/75/17 34s and split the difference. You’ll go from 32.7 to 33.9. Most all 35 are 34.5.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think that looks bad. Get 285/75/17 34s and split the difference. You’ll go from 32.7 to 33.9. Most all 35 are 34.5.
I’m already dead set on KM3 35x12.50R17’s on different wheels. I currently have the rubicon KO2’s. At 40,000 miles (with another 20,000 miles of life left) they’re measuring exactly 32” front to rear. I’d really prefer to go with 37’s, but it’s a Sport with twigs for axles, and don’t want to over stress the D30 up front. I’m not even going to lock the front with 35’s just to add more of a safety factor.

It’s amazing how the JL can dwarf what used to be considered “big” tires, where TJ’s make 29’s look big.

VfQqfX7l.jpg

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my 2018 sport S with rubicon take offs after 3 years of bearing a winch and steel bumper.
I assume you had Rubicon tires but stock springs, in which case I agree. The extra weight on the front would sag the front and add rake as well as push the front tires farther up in the fenders. I put Rubicon springs on with my Rubicon tires and gained 1.5" lift in front and 2" lift in rear, with stock bumpers. This was acceptable to me but if I was going to change bumpers people have advised that you also add a spacer in front to counteract the rake and the extra bumper weight.
I gather that the Mopar lift kit gains a lot of lift on a stock Sport, much more than just going with Rubicon springs.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks txj2go and Last Cowboy...that helps a lot. I would be disappointed if I attempted to recalibrate only to discover that it had no effect on tranny performance. Great feedback.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume you had Rubicon tires but stock springs, in which case I agree. The extra weight on the front would sag the front and add rake as well as push the front tires farther up in the fenders. I put Rubicon springs on with my Rubicon tires and gained 1.5" lift in front and 2" lift in rear, with stock bumpers. This was acceptable to me but if I was going to change bumpers people have advised that you also add a spacer in front to counteract the rake and the extra bumper weight.
I gather that the Mopar lift kit gains a lot of lift on a stock Sport, much more than just going with Rubicon springs.
Yep. Stock sport. When the tires first went on when the Jeep had less than 2000 miles they looked good. Even right after adding the bumper and winch. It didn’t all sag immediately, it was a slow sag over the course of a couple years. It sagged enough to where I had only an inch left to the bump stops.

this was right after the tires went on, when the Jeep was only a month or two old. Looking back at this pic, it looks like I lost well more than an inch over the years.

UFOWecQl.jpg
Sponsored