• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

New York 33 or 35 tires for 2018 Sahara JL

ef09511

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL, 2012 Cherokee Overland
hi, I'm looking for a slight improvement on how the jeep looks with my tires. I currently have the stock 255-70-18 on my 2018 Sahara JL, and thinking of going to a 35 inch tire. I really like the look, but also concerned about mpg and sluggish ride. I've seen you tube videos that say it can be done, but others tell me I would need a lift. I'd rather not get a lift. I've also seen some that put a 2 inch spacer on the suspension, cheaper version of the lift, but heard that is a bad idea.

I've then thought about going to a 33 inch, but it's only an inch at most different than my current tires and not sure it's noticable. they should offer a 34. ( the tires I'm looking at are the BF Goodrich KO2 all season)
I also currently have a 2 inch spacer, which I'm told I could lose if I go with the 35's. I'm interested in thoughts from this forum.

thanks.
Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I added Rubi take-off suspension and Rubi take-off tires/wheels (33") and it reduced my mpg from 21.8-ish down to 19.3-ish.
Adding the Rubi take off suspension and wheels lifted my 2020 Sahara 1.5".

Jeep Wrangler JL 33 or 35 tires for 2018 Sahara JL 1609940009186

ScottyD-NJ

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Mojito
33" BFG KO2's on my Sahara with Fuel Beast 17" wheels. I went with +1 offset instead of the wider -12 to limit geometry change effects. Doesn't even look like the same vehicle as stock. No lift, no spacers, no rubbing.

Some things to consider if you decide to go 35:

- probable tail gate reinforcement and relocation bracket due to 35" spare

- borderline regear. This would address sluggishness. Some say it's needed for 35, some say no.

- at a minimum you need a spacer lift for 35 on sahara. Teraflex makes a very good set.

These pics don't do it justice. After I did this, I was happy I hadn't decided to go down the rabbit hole of moving up to 35s. 33's with the new wheels is exactly right for me. Good luck!

Jeep Wrangler JL 33 or 35 tires for 2018 Sahara JL File_000

Jeep Wrangler JL 33 or 35 tires for 2018 Sahara JL File_000 (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL 33 or 35 tires for 2018 Sahara JL File_000 (2)

CaptSully

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Unlimited, 1965 Beechcraft Baron, 1976 Cessna 172
I put 295/70-18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on mine. That translates to a 34x11.50. Saves a little of the gas mileage. A Tazer JL is a must have for the shift points, still get 17.8mpg at 80mph. Wheels are 18x9 -12 and I do have the Mopar 2” lift So I’m not sure if they would rub.

CBEFFA61-D1A1-41F0-A3E9-733F77AD8D7D.jpeg

53E93586-AE6F-4333-93D2-F0B8A9F184AC.jpeg

BC106860-879E-4153-B458-042BE36B27F1.jpeg

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Not to derail this thread, just a side question; @CaptSully Mike, what step rails are those? also that wheel/tire combo looks sweet on your rig!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
hi, I'm looking for a slight improvement on how the jeep looks with my tires. I currently have the stock 255-70-18 on my 2018 Sahara JL, and thinking of going to a 35 inch tire. I really like the look, but also concerned about mpg and sluggish ride. I've seen you tube videos that say it can be done, but others tell me I would need a lift. I'd rather not get a lift. I've also seen some that put a 2 inch spacer on the suspension, cheaper version of the lift, but heard that is a bad idea.

I've then thought about going to a 33 inch, but it's only an inch at most different than my current tires and not sure it's noticable. they should offer a 34. ( the tires I'm looking at are the BF Goodrich KO2 all season)
I also currently have a 2 inch spacer, which I'm told I could lose if I go with the 35's. I'm interested in thoughts from this forum.

thanks.
I'm not sure I completely understand. You mention not wanting a lift, and putting using a 2" spacer lift, but then you mention having a 2" spacer which you may lose with 35's? I assume that means you have wheel spacers, not lift?

Anyway, to answer the question. Both 33's and 35's will look fine. I've got 34's (285/75/17) on my '18 Sahara. I'm one of the people who went with the 2" spacer lift. I'm not sure what issues anyone was cautioning you about, but I bought it specifically because it retained the factory ride. There's no change in suspension travel, and geometry (assuming you get a kit that corrects caster).
I've had zero issues on or off road with a spacer lift. That said if you're a serious off roader who needs better than stock performance, then you'll want a different lift. The spacer lift is basically cosmetic, and does nothing for capability. I suppose it does give you a little more clearance of the tires, and better approach/departure angels, but the suspension is unaffected so it's going to act just like stock since it essentially is stock.

Anyway, here's a photo of my '18 Sahara. I'm running 34" BFG KM2, and a Daystar 2" lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL 33 or 35 tires for 2018 Sahara JL 1609943126405

Jeep Wrangler JL 33 or 35 tires for 2018 Sahara JL 19 7-19 (9) resize

FWIW I don't notice any loss of power or efficiency with these tires. Although it's worth mentioning that I specifically sought out a tire that was 285 wide or less because I didn't want the extra weight and drag of a 315 wide tire like most 35's.

Last edited:

CaptSully

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Unlimited, 1965 Beechcraft Baron, 1976 Cessna 172
OP
OP

ef09511

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
33" BFG KO2's on my Sahara with Fuel Beast 17" wheels. I went with +1 offset instead of the wider -12 to limit geometry change effects. Doesn't even look like the same vehicle as stock. No lift, no spacers, no rubbing.

Some things to consider if you decide to go 35:

- probable tail gate reinforcement and relocation bracket due to 35" spare

- borderline regear. This would address sluggishness. Some say it's needed for 35, some say no.

- at a minimum you need a spacer lift for 35 on sahara. Teraflex makes a very good set.

These pics don't do it justice. After I did this, I was happy I hadn't decided to go down the rabbit hole of moving up to 35s. 33's with the new wheels is exactly right for me. Good luck!

this looks great. I'm not sure I understand +1 offset instead of the wider -12. Is that a 1 inch spacer?

OP
OP

ef09511

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure I completely understand. You mention not wanting a lift, and putting using a 2" spacer lift, but then you mention having a 2" spacer which you may lose with 35's? I assume that means you have wheel spacers, not lift?

Anyway, to answer the question. Both 33's and 35's will look fine. I've got 34's (285/75/17) on my '18 Sahara. I'm one of the people you who went with the 2" spacer lift. I'm not sure what issues anyone was cautioning you about, but I bought it specifically because it retained the factory ride. There's no change in suspension travel, and geometry (assuming you get a kit that corrects caster).
I've had zero issues on or off road with a spacer lift. That said if you're a serious off roader who needs better than stock performance, then you'll want a different lift. The spacer lift is basically cosmetic, and does nothing for capability. I suppose it does give you a little more clearance of the tires, and better approach/departure angels, but the suspension is unaffected so it's going to act just like stock since it essentially is stock.

Anyway, here's a photo of my '18 Sahara. I'm running 34" BFG KM2, and a Daystar 2" lift.

FWIW I don't notice any loss of power or efficiency with these tires. Although it's worth mentioning that I specifically sought out a tire that was 285 wide or less because I didn't want the extra weight and drag of a 315 wide tire like most 35's.
hi, yes, I meant I have a 2 inch wheel spacer. this looks great.

Sponsored

ScottyD-NJ

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Mojito
Stock sahara wheels are a +44 offset which tucks then way into the fender. The Fuel beast wheels are available in a +1 offset (as shown) as well as a -12 offset which makes the tire stick out even further from under the wheel well. I don't have spacers on.

OP
OP

ef09511

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stock sahara wheels are a +44 offset which tucks then way into the fender. The Fuel beast wheels are available in a +1 offset (as shown) as well as a -12 offset which makes the tire stick out even further from under the wheel well. I don't have spacers on.
gotcha, so with my two inch wheel spacers, I don't have to worry about the offset, unless I ended up with a 35. then I might have to take the spacers off.

ScottyD-NJ

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Mojito
gotcha, so with my two inch wheel spacers, I don't have to worry about the offset, unless I ended up with a 35. then I might have to take the spacers off.
if you stick with your current (stock) wheels which are +44 offset and move up to a 35 tire, I don't know if you would or wouldn't still require spacers. My guess is yes. I would rather have a suspension spacer than a wheel spacer. Some people have luck with wheel spacers but i stay away. if you do a spacer SUSPENSION lift, i don't think you will need any wheel spacers.

Of course I could be completely mad. LOL

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The main issue I have with wheel spacers is they reduce your turning radius.
Having come from a crew cab Ram, which was like a land yacht, I'm absolutely thrilled with the maneuverability of the Wrangler.
Just some food for thought ↓↓↓
The track width of my Ram was 68" and the Wrangler is 63". By increasing the vehicle's track width, you increase the turning radius. By pushing the wheels out 2" each you've made the track width (67") almost the same as the Ram. Granted the shorter wheel base of the Wrangler will make it a little more agile but I don't want to reduce the capability of my Jeep. A wider stance may be good for some off road conditions, but none that I drive. I benefit more from being able to corner tightly around obstacles and stay on the trail rather than a wide base to keep me from tipping. It's highly dependent upon how each person uses their Jeep, but I'm not rock crawling or driving on the edge of cliffs so width isn't an issue for me.
That said, you might do those things I don't know. In which case, keep the spacers or get an offset that pushes the wheels out. 35's without a lift will "fit" but you will have some minor limitations on max turn angles (decreasing the turning radius even more) and suspension travel. If you just drive it around town you likely won't notice any issues with travel. If you go off road, you'll want to limit suspension travel so you don't jamb the tires into the wheel wells. IIRC the rear has substantial contact if you flex the stock suspension with 35's.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
if you stick with your current (stock) wheels which are +44 offset and move up to a 35 tire, I don't know if you would or wouldn't still require spacers. My guess is yes....
I think I remember most people having issues with contacting the LCA with 35's. I wonder if you go with a non-typical narrow 35 (aka pizza cutters) if there would be any issues. I haven't done the math or research on it. Just thinking "out loud" here.
Sponsored