Sponsored

315/70/17 tires on my stock Rubi wheels

Ed El Man

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Ducati XDiavel S, 2011 Ducati 848 Evo, 2008 Mazda CX-9 Grandtouring (the beater)
Vehicle Showcase
BDD6E68C-B522-40AC-B8DB-B15DB8CD8BDE.png
4248BB1D-6968-489B-BC17-F8B191826AA2.png
This might be a stupid question, but i'm new to the Rubicon world. I DON'T want a lift, I just want to run 35's on my stock rims. I never plan on off roading (I know, I'm one of those guys.. ) Also, I want my tires to stick out past the fenders a bit, can i achieve this with spaces? Again, I want the stock rims.
This might be a stupid question, but i'm new to the Rubicon world. I DON'T want a lift, I just want to run 35's on my stock rims. I never plan on off roading (I know, I'm one of those guys.. ) Also, I want my tires to stick out past the fenders a bit, can i achieve this with spaces? Again, I want the stock rims.
Sponsored

Ed El Man

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Ducati XDiavel S, 2011 Ducati 848 Evo, 2008 Mazda CX-9 Grandtouring (the beater)
Vehicle Showcase

Ed El Man

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
651E0CF0-8269-4B37-9DC2-CEBF2EA41311.jpeg
Those are 315/70/17 on stock rims. No spacers.

Sponsored

Ed El Man

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
86AB5889-CB0D-4DB0-9A02-1B8ACFC76FE8.png
523D0FEC-28E0-4C0F-A174-F88D028A433F.jpeg
9F704F66-88A2-4491-8F06-6F34ED7D09FC.jpeg
A6A84EAC-D131-4611-B6E0-ACF1CAA58FFA.jpeg
BDEA7A9E-5099-49DF-842C-89F60D730DDA.jpeg
BD8FC505-0311-43C3-8C24-F22F2605F967.jpeg
I bought new tires today and had them put on my factory wheels. Tires are 315/70/17 BFG AT KO2’s. They seem to fit the 7.5” wheel fine. It’s not much of a difference but it looks better than the 33’s. It’s raining here so I was only able to get a few pics in the garage.

3A7B2FD8-A1C7-4F04-B7B7-DF786069B7AE.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got 20k miles now on the 315's on stock (optional) Rubi rims, including a trip to Moab. They've performed spectacularly. They are C-rated and withstood the most rugged trails I've ever run, and that's saying something after 11.5 years of brutal treatment of my JK.

Some observations:
  • The sidewalls of the C rated tire are plenty strong. They held up as well as the E rated KM2s I had on the JK, but ride MUCH better.
  • They are wearing evenly and well. These are going to last a long time, just as past BFG tires have done for me, including KM's, KO's, and KM2's.
  • I've seen no issues with the rim width. They handle very well on pavement and they handled airing down to 15psi with no issues. In fact, a couple of very old and experienced guides in Moab told me they actually hold the bead on the rim better at low psi than a wider rim would. I'm not sure how that works, but that's what they said. Either way, I had no issues.
  • No rubbing, whatsoever, and I've been at full lock, full articulation, every way I can imagine. I know some have had some minor rubbing on the front shocks (JP or 4wheeler magazine?) with the same setup, but I've not seen that.
  • The traction has been outstanding. They grab slickrock and loose rock as well as other Jeeps with various mud treads. Some of those guys had chunking of the lugs. My KO2's, driven on the same trails and over the same rocks had no chunking at all, which shocked me, frankly. My KM2's had a little bit of chunking and drove far fewer miles on their Moab trip than I drove with the KO2's, which was probably 85% more.
  • Last winter, they were outstanding in snow, slush, and whatever the conditions threw at them.
  • They are still far quieter than any Jeep tire I've had, especially the KO's which became as loud as the KM2s after 20k miles.
  • They are great in the rain, which again, smokes the KOs I've had, which were terrible and sometimes felt downright dangerous.
  • They are great in sand. Again, best tire I've driven yet in the sand, and all previous BFGs were pretty darned good.
  • They shocked me with their mud performance, so far. I haven't been in all kinds of mud, but I've run in some deep, gooey stuff along side a 2 door JK with aggressive mud tires (not sure of the brand. I'll ask him and update) and the KO2s showed no apparent disadvantage, in spite of my Jeep being a heavier 4 door. I have only run one other type of mud, which was not as thick, and they did fine there, too.
  • In addition, the 285's off my Rubi were put onto my JKUR and they have easily been the best tire that JK has seen. Not even close.
  • Yes, they grab gravel. No biggie. That's why they are good in snow. I've got front splash guards and they help tremendously. I'm sure as they wear, the gravel grabbing will be less of an issue.
Negatives.....I really haven't found any other than the rock throwing. Of course, think about complaining about rock throwing in a vehcile where you are going to thrash in mud, sand, and whatever. I have to chuckle at all the complaints about this. I remember a few loud rocks cracking from the tire on my JK on gravel roads when running KM2's, so is it really an issue? Not when it performs so well otherwise.

Of course, this is all completely subjective, but as you can see I've got high confidence in these tires, and that's important.

I'll try to remember to report back around 40k miles, but I can say I am very pleased with these tires and will go right back to them when they wear out.
NfoYeSW.jpg

elpqVMd.jpg

hwIRpSK.jpg

Last edited:

Sky King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green, JLUR (soon)
651E0CF0-8269-4B37-9DC2-CEBF2EA41311.jpeg

Those are 315/70/17 on stock rims. No spacers.
Great picture, also new to all this. I plan on getting a Rubicon 4 door and want slightly bigger tires using no lift or spacers. Also will go with the steel bumpers that takes he body down approx. 1/4 inch. Want to put on 305/70/r17 tires (Nitto) and change wheels to AEV Pintlers,+25 offset. That should push tires out about my preferred 1 to 1.5 inches. Should that combo keep me clear of rubbing and maintain the original ride without wandering issues? Will not use off-road.

Ed El Man

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great picture, also new to all this. I plan on getting a Rubicon 4 door and want slightly bigger tires using no lift or spacers. Also will go with the steel bumpers that takes he body down approx. 1/4 inch. Want to put on 305/70/r17 tires (Nitto) and change wheels to AEV Pintlers,+25 offset. That should push tires out about my preferred 1 to 1.5 inches. Should that combo keep me clear of rubbing and maintain the original ride without wandering issues? Will not use off-road.
I put 315/70/17 with no lift or spacers and I have absolutely no rubbing. I'll be lifting her and adding 37's this spring

Sponsored

Cbacon

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Great write up on the tires. Do you have any lift?
Thanks,
Corey

I've got 20k miles now on the 315's on stock (optional) Rubi rims, including a trip to Moab. They've performed spectacularly. They are C-rated and withstood the most rugged trails I've ever run, and that's saying something after 11.5 years of brutal treatment of my JK.

Some observations:
  • The sidewalls of the C rated tire are plenty strong. They held up as well as the E rated KM2s I had on the JK, but ride MUCH better.
  • They are wearing evenly and well. These are going to last a long time, just as past BFG tires have done for me, including KM's, KO's, and KM2's.
  • I've seen no issues with the rim width. They handle very well on pavement and they handled airing down to 15psi with no issues. In fact, a couple of very old and experienced guides in Moab told me they actually hold the bead on the rim better at low psi than a wider rim would. I'm not sure how that works, but that's what they said. Either way, I had no issues.
  • No rubbing, whatsoever, and I've been at full lock, full articulation, every way I can imagine. I know some have had some minor rubbing on the front shocks (JP or 4wheeler magazine?) with the same setup, but I've not seen that.
  • The traction has been outstanding. They grab slickrock and loose rock as well as other Jeeps with various mud treads. Some of those guys had chunking of the lugs. My KO2's, driven on the same trails and over the same rocks had no chunking at all, which shocked me, frankly. My KM2's had a little bit of chunking and drove far fewer miles on their Moab trip than I drove with the KO2's, which was probably 85% more.
  • Last winter, they were outstanding in snow, slush, and whatever the conditions threw at them.
  • They are still far quieter than any Jeep tire I've had, especially the KO's which became as loud as the KM2s after 20k miles.
  • They are great in the rain, which again, smokes the KOs I've had, which were terrible and sometimes felt downright dangerous.
  • They are great in sand. Again, best tire I've driven yet in the sand, and all previous BFGs were pretty darned good.
  • They shocked me with their mud performance, so far. I haven't been in all kinds of mud, but I've run in some deep, gooey stuff along side a 2 door JK with aggressive mud tires (not sure of the brand. I'll ask him and update) and the KO2s showed no apparent disadvantage, in spite of my Jeep being a heavier 4 door. I have only run one other type of mud, which was not as thick, and they did fine there, too.
  • In addition, the 285's off my Rubi were put onto my JKUR and they have easily been the best tire that JK has seen. Not even close.
  • Yes, they grab gravel. No biggie. That's why they are good in snow. I've got front splash guards and they help tremendously. I'm sure as they wear, the gravel grabbing will be less of an issue.
Negatives.....I really haven't found any other than the rock throwing. Of course, think about complaining about rock throwing in a vehcile where you are going to thrash in mud, sand, and whatever. I have to chuckle at all the complaints about this. I remember a few loud rocks cracking from the tire on my JK on gravel roads when running KM2's, so is it really an issue? Not when it performs so well otherwise.

Of course, this is all completely subjective, but as you can see I've got high confidence in these tires, and that's important.

I'll try to remember to report back around 40k miles, but I can say I am very pleased with these tires and will go right back to them when they wear out.
NfoYeSW.jpg

elpqVMd.jpg

hwIRpSK.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up on the tires. Do you have any lift?
Thanks,
Corey
Yes, Mopar with a Rancho front adjustable track bar.

Cbacon

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Thanks, looks great. Wanting 35's on stock wheels and wife wants a 2" lift.

bravelion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
Stock 2019 Rubicon, 315/70/17 Cooper AT3 XLT. No rubbing and ride is great!!

AB83594B-8A96-4DCB-9BFE-3FBED101AE7A.jpeg

40D30A92-8881-4F29-BFB1-2EC6B7BD3395.jpeg

16386A1A-BF3B-4290-B298-35CC7F1F3463.jpeg
Are you please with the Bikini Pearl? That's what I ordered instead of yellow or orange. Still waiting on delivery but the BFG AT KO2 315/70/R17 Load Range C is exactly what I'll have waiting to install. I want a great road experience but a notch better than stock offroad capability.

Also adding RK 2.5 Adv Seriers 1 and other substantial suspension and steering improvements right away. Then we'll hit the road for 5 months of travel.
Sponsored