315/70-17 on stock Sport S wheels

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Has anyone here run 315/70-17 tires on Sport S wheels? Will these tires fit inside the wheel arches without rubbing the axle joints or control arms? I'd really like to avoid using wheel spacers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Ok, let's try again. What about 295/70-17? Anybody here run that size on stock wheels without wheel spacers?

I'm trying to figure out how wide I can go on stock wheels, no spacers before I start rubbing suspension components or wheel liners.

ryandamartini

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Ok, let's try again. What about 295/70-17? Anybody here run that size on stock wheels without wheel spacers?

I'm trying to figure out how wide I can go on stock wheels, no spacers before I start rubbing suspension components or wheel liners.
I have a Sport S. They are 7.5" rims and for my tires, Nitto Terra Grappler, the stock rims at 7.5" wide were the smallest manufacturer recommended width for 285-70-17. It'll vary depending on what tire you use but really pay attention to the recommended rim width for the tire you want to use.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Thanks, yeah I know the 285 can be mounted on the 7.5" wheel. 295s and 315s actually can also, according to specs. But what I'm wondering is how wide can you go on stock wheels with no wheel spacers and not rub on the frame, suspension, or body of the Jeep?

ryandamartini

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Thanks, yeah I know the 285 can be mounted on the 7.5" wheel. 295s and 315s actually can also, according to specs. But what I'm wondering is how wide can you go on stock wheels with no wheel spacers and not rub on the frame, suspension, or body of the Jeep?
A lot of lifts made to fit 35" tires spell out the specs they used to fit them. 8" wide and 4.75" backspace.

Sponsored

BombayTuna

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Just got Falken wildpeak at3w 285/70/17 put on stock sport s wheels with no additional modifications needed. This seems to be the consensus max size before spacers are needed.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Well I was worried about the 315 width, so I ended up going with 285s. However, I ordered 285/75-17 which of course is 1/2" taller at any given point around the tire.

Since I have the 2.5" RC lift on my Jeep, I'm hoping that these will work OK on my stock wheels with no wheel spacers. This tire is equivalent to a 34x11.50 so it'll probably be close to rubbing the rear wheel liners I think, but I'll post up some photos when I get them mounted.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

I can't say for the Sport, but I run 315's on stock wheels on my Rubi. My guess is that you'll need maybe a 2" lift, but maybe not. If it rubs just on steering full lock, you can make do or even adjust the steering. If at full articulation you get rubbing there still might be something you can do before going to a lift. A spacer lift is a good option and keeps your stock ride/handling, and is inexpensive. In spite of what someone tells you, a spacer lift does just fine off road. I've got a 2" AEV spacer lift on my JK and it runs 33's. I've taken it to Moab, Colorado, and all over the Midwest and ran it ragged, with lots of full articulation, and it never had an issue. I once had a guy tell me the spring would pop off the spacer if I took it off road. I spoke to one of the founders of AEV, who was one of the supension design engineers on the JK, and he laughed and said that was BS. After over 60k miles on that lift, turns out he was right. I've never had an issue, and the thing articulates fully.

Just something to consider if you run into any rubbing. Also, 315's will stay on those 7.5" rims very well. Experienced off roaders call narrow rims a "poor man's bead lock." There's a reason for that. Tires are reputed to stay on the narrower rims at low psi better.

namodei

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Just got Falken wildpeak at3w 285/70/17 put on stock sport s wheels with no additional modifications needed. This seems to be the consensus max size before spacers are needed.
Do you have any pics of them installed? I had them on my Ram and really liked them, was thinking of getting some for my JL.

Sponsored

PapaJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Well I was worried about the 315 width, so I ended up going with 285s. However, I ordered 285/75-17 which of course is 1/2" taller at any given point around the tire.

Since I have the 2.5" RC lift on my Jeep, I'm hoping that these will work OK on my stock wheels with no wheel spacers. This tire is equivalent to a 34x11.50 so it'll probably be close to rubbing the rear wheel liners I think, but I'll post up some photos when I get them mounted.
Do you have any pics? I want the same size tires, but don’t have the left...although I put a 1.5” spacer on the front. I think I’ll have enough room, but would like to see how much clearance you have with that lift. Thanks!

Cerberus

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2003 TJ Sahara
I’m running 315x70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZP3 All-Terrain on stock wheels and no lift. Very tight and the installer couldn’t believe they fit without rubbing. You will need a tire carrier bracket because they hit the bumper. Will be putting on a 2” mopar lift shortly but for now, they do fit.