Sponsored

315/70/17 on Rubicon stock wheels/bump stops question.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi everyone,
I'm getting Nitto ridge grapplers 315/70/17's mounted to my stock Rubicon wheels in the next day or two. Will the factory spare bump stops be ok? Or is there a specific replacement I should be ordering ASAP to accommodate the tire change size?

thanks!
Sponsored

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
At full flex you will rub with factory bump stops, rears more than the front. I have 315/70/17’s on my stock rubi and although fine for daily driving I plan to change the bump stops at some point.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Hi everyone,
I'm getting Nitto ridge grapplers 315/70/17's mounted to my stock Rubicon wheels in the next day or two. Will the factory spare bump stops be ok? Or is there a specific replacement I should be ordering ASAP to accommodate the tire change size?

thanks!

Grab a pair of these Energy Suspension 29105G Spare Tire Bumper Set

They can be trimmed to length as you see fit, and should be able to accommodate your new tires.

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
@stylett9 Checking back in on this thread.

How's it running? Did you adjust the bumpstops? How are you liking the Ridge Grapplers, any regrets?

minisoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 392, Escalade, Audi SQ8, 911 Turbo S
Could you send pics of your 315/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on factory Rubi wheels? I have those tires on Fuel Maverick wheels and 2.5" lift... love the setup and wide stance, but they are 2-3" outside the fender flares and the Jeep just gets destroyed by salt spray in the winter.

The Maverick's have a -12 offset and I think I need a 0 offset to bring them in.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
@stylett9 Checking back in on this thread.

How's it running? Did you adjust the bumpstops? How are you liking the Ridge Grapplers, any regrets?
On factory rims, and stock Rubicon hardware, you don't need to change the bump stops on the tailgate. The factory ones will compress and get squished keeping the wheel nice and tight. Please take note, my original post was asking about the spare tire bump stops. Not the bump stops in the suspension.

I will add, I ended up adding the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement just out of precaution, and even still, I used the original stock bump stops rather than the new replacements that came with the MOPAR Reinforcement.

As for the Ridge Grapplers, I like them a lot. I've had mixed use over normal roads, sand, various dirt textures, and rocky gravel roads. I have no complaints regarding how they've performed. It seems with the winter season, there is a lot of focus on how tires perform in snow/ice, I've had experience with neither as I live in Southern California. I do "light" to maybe "moderate" off roading. Certainly nothing hardcore.

I will say before buying the tires, I read several reviews that credited the ridge grapplers with being a relatively quiet tire. I went from stock 285 Ko2's to 315 Ridge Grapplers. The ridge Grapplers do provide a noticeable hum from about 25-50mph. It's not loud, its not obnoxious or intrusive, but you do notice it. After 50MPH the wind noise takes over. I have a suspicion it has more to do with the fact I went up to 315, than the Ridge Grappler itself. If you think about it, you've basically added 4 more inches of "wider" tire contact just because of the width of the tire.

All in all, I'd do it again.... but MAYBE, just MAYBE, I'd still consider a 315 Ko2 due to tire weight (though the rock flingers were a real bothersome to me). The Ridge Grapplers only come in E load, weigh in at 71lbs per, and I estimate I lost about 1.5 MPG. I'm a relative stock JLUR, stock rims, stock suspension, stock bumpers and 2.0T motor. You can feel the slight reduction in power when starting off in 1st gear. 2-6th probably not noticeable. When cruising on the highway in 7th or 8th, you can feel it takes a little more effort to sustain speed. For example, cruising on a flat highway at 65, it didn't require much pedal pressure to maintain 65mph (stock tires). But now, say when rolling over small elevation changes, you feel the jeep drop off from 65 quicker and you have to compensate with a quick application of more pedal pressure to hold that 65. The Jeep still has plenty of power to operate smoothly and safely(lane changes, freeway mergers etc etc), but the differences are perceivable.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Also to note, I saw your profile indicates JLU (Not JLUR). If you do not have a Rubicon model, there are some additional factors to be aware of. You have narrower axles, different rim size if I'm not mistaken, lower front fender flares, and I also think you may need to research whether you'll need a Rubicon tire carrier, or other aftermarket alternative.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Could you send pics of your 315/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on factory Rubi wheels? I have those tires on Fuel Maverick wheels and 2.5" lift... love the setup and wide stance, but they are 2-3" outside the fender flares and the Jeep just gets destroyed by salt spray in the winter.

The Maverick's have a -12 offset and I think I need a 0 offset to bring them in.
From -12 to a 0 offset is under a 1/2" difference. Not trying to be a pessimist, but you won't notice any reduction in tire spray, unless you go back to factory offset.

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
On factory rims, and stock Rubicon hardware, you don't need to change the bump stops on the tailgate. The factory ones will compress and get squished keeping the wheel nice and tight. Please take note, my original post was asking about the spare tire bump stops. Not the bump stops in the suspension.

I will add, I ended up adding the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement just out of precaution, and even still, I used the original stock bump stops rather than the new replacements that came with the MOPAR Reinforcement.

As for the Ridge Grapplers, I like them a lot. I've had mixed use over normal roads, sand, various dirt textures, and rocky gravel roads. I have no complaints regarding how they've performed. It seems with the winter season, there is a lot of focus on how tires perform in snow/ice, I've had experience with neither as I live in Southern California. I do "light" to maybe "moderate" off roading. Certainly nothing hardcore.

I will say before buying the tires, I read several reviews that credited the ridge grapplers with being a relatively quiet tire. I went from stock 285 Ko2's to 315 Ridge Grapplers. The ridge Grapplers do provide a noticeable hum from about 25-50mph. It's not loud, its not obnoxious or intrusive, but you do notice it. After 50MPH the wind noise takes over. I have a suspicion it has more to do with the fact I went up to 315, than the Ridge Grappler itself. If you think about it, you've basically added 4 more inches of "wider" tire contact just because of the width of the tire.

All in all, I'd do it again.... but MAYBE, just MAYBE, I'd still consider a 315 Ko2 due to tire weight (though the rock flingers were a real bothersome to me). The Ridge Grapplers only come in E load, weigh in at 71lbs per, and I estimate I lost about 1.5 MPG. I'm a relative stock JLUR, stock rims, stock suspension, stock bumpers and 2.0T motor. You can feel the slight reduction in power when starting off in 1st gear. 2-6th probably not noticeable. When cruising on the highway in 7th or 8th, you can feel it takes a little more effort to sustain speed. For example, cruising on a flat highway at 65, it didn't require much pedal pressure to maintain 65mph (stock tires). But now, say when rolling over small elevation changes, you feel the jeep drop off from 65 quicker and you have to compensate with a quick application of more pedal pressure to hold that 65. The Jeep still has plenty of power to operate smoothly and safely(lane changes, freeway mergers etc etc), but the differences are perceivable.

Also to note, I saw your profile indicates JLU (Not JLUR). If you do not have a Rubicon model, there are some additional factors to be aware of. You have narrower axles, different rim size if I'm not mistaken, lower front fender flares, and I also think you may need to research whether you'll need a Rubicon tire carrier, or other aftermarket alternative.
Thank you for your well thought out and detailed response. I did misread and thought it was the suspension bump stops. As far as the spare bump stops, I will probably need to add some there as the wheels I got are 17x8.5 and -6 offset. I probably will need to add some sort of reinforcement as well and I'd rather be safe than sorry too.

As far as the tires, that's something I noticed about the ridge grapplers today as I was researching. They're just so dang heavy. Glad to hear the ride is nice on them.

KILROY_

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona "Bad Nanner" heavily modified, 2000 Ram 2500 V-10, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Vehicle Showcase
How well does it fit on the spare tire carrier? Do they rub the bumper or 3rd brake light anywhere? I have the reinforced tailgate with the factory metal bumpers and have been searching and debating what to go with. I've been looking hard at the MT Baja Radial MTZ P3 315x70x17 which come in at 34.6" and 66lbs. and have been trying to determine if the spare will clear the bumper and 3rd brake light. Your tire is within .2" diameter and would be a pretty close fit comparison. Did you end up with any rub at full lock? I'm keeping my stock rims and have no plans of lifting it. Thanks for the insight!

Mickey Thompson 59752 Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTZ P3 Tires | Summit Racing

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit

Thanks for the great write-up!

Do you have steel or plastic rear bumper? If you have steel did you get a spare relocation kit, or just keep the stock reinforced attachment point? Do you have any rubbing on the spare tire relief in the bumper? Have you used anything to adjust the computer for the tire size change?

Sponsored

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
How well does it fit on the spare tire carrier? Do they rub the bumper or 3rd brake light anywhere? I have the reinforced tailgate with the factory metal bumpers and have been searching and debating what to go with. I've been looking hard at the MT Baja Radial MTZ P3 315x70x17 which come in at 34.6" and 66lbs. and have been trying to determine if the spare will clear the bumper and 3rd brake light. Your tire is within .2" diameter and would be a pretty close fit comparison. Did you end up with any rub at full lock? I'm keeping my stock rims and have no plans of lifting it. Thanks for the insight!

Mickey Thompson 59752 Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTZ P3 Tires | Summit Racing
It's been my experience upgrading to a 315 or true 35 won't result in any issues with the factory 3rd brake light if you have a Rubicon tire carrier. (stock on Rubicons). I had the plastic rear bumper and did not have issues there either. However, I've read from other users, 315's may rub slightly on metal bumpers. Some people prefer this because they like the idea the bumper helps support some of the weight of the tire. Personally that would bother me, and I would purchase either Mopar or Teraflex tire carrier risers. I don't have experience with either, but I believe Tereflex is a little cheaper and probably just as good if not better. Also, I did have some finickyness with the backup sensors being triggered if I didn't secure the spare properly. (again, stock rubicon rim and 315'. When i eventually swapped out to aftermarket wheels, the problem got worse).

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for the great write-up!

Do you have steel or plastic rear bumper? If you have steel did you get a spare relocation kit, or just keep the stock reinforced attachment point? Do you have any rubbing on the spare tire relief in the bumper? Have you used anything to adjust the computer for the tire size change?
I had a plastic rear bumper which didn't result in any issues. I had about 1 inch of clearance still. I've read from other users the steel bumper will rub slightly. Per the same response i just posted to the person above, IF it were me, I'd probably get the spare tire relocation kit/riser. I used a JL Tazer lite to adjust the tire size appropriately.

KILROY_

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona "Bad Nanner" heavily modified, 2000 Ram 2500 V-10, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Vehicle Showcase
It's been my experience upgrading to a 315 or true 35 won't result in any issues with the factory 3rd brake light if you have a Rubicon tire carrier. (stock on Rubicons). I had the plastic rear bumper and did not have issues there either. However, I've read from other users, 315's may rub slightly on metal bumpers. Some people prefer this because they like the idea the bumper helps support some of the weight of the tire. Personally that would bother me, and I would purchase either Mopar or Teraflex tire carrier risers. I don't have experience with either, but I believe Tereflex is a little cheaper and probably just as good if not better. Also, I did have some finickyness with the backup sensors being triggered if I didn't secure the spare properly. (again, stock rubicon rim and 315'. When i eventually swapped out to aftermarket wheels, the problem got worse).
Thanks for your reply your experiences are helpful! I still have a little meat left on my BFGs so I don't have to move on this right away but when I do I'll update the thread with my results.
Sponsored