Sponsored

31 mpg on the highway

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Yea that’s downright impressive no matter how you slice it. Rubicon with weight essentially maxed by virtue of the steel bumper group, at 70mph, higher ride height, more rolling resistance, at altitude, with an engine that has not reached peak compression/efficiency yet...31+ mpg. If that is replicated by people on this forum, the overland and commuting crowd will be more than happy.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yea that’s downright impressive no matter how you slice it. Rubicon with weight essentially maxed by virtue of the steel bumper group, at 70mph, higher ride height, more rolling resistance, at altitude, with an engine that has not reached peak compression/efficiency yet...31+ mpg. If that is replicated by people on this forum, the overland and commuting crowd will be more than happy.
Pretty cool. About 40% improvement over a 2.0L it seems (~22 mpg)

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That is impressive. So is the torque.

I’ve not owned a diesel lately but I’ve heard about a few concerns and if I was to consider one, I think I’ll be waiting a year or so. Needing DEF along with the regen mode doesn’t sound like a plus but I’m not sure how much of a negative it might be for us in our day to day life.

Sponsored

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I used to worry about MPG and carry extra fuel - 'till I got the 3.0 Diesel.

My wife and I did the Pony Express Trail in the West Desert in the Fall.. The Jeep ran in the dirt for 8 hours and on the pavement for 1 hour to go from Fairfield to Ibapah then up to Wendover. I refueled the Jeep in Wendover and calculated the mileage. It achieved 33 MPG.

Now, keep in mind it was good weather and we stayed in 2WD. Lopping along at 30 MPH we simply used compression braking when we needed to slow down. And, once back on pavement, we cruised at 70 MPH.

Hunter

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I used to worry about MPG and carry extra fuel - 'till I got the 3.0 Diesel.

My wife and I did the Pony Express Trail in the West Desert in the Fall.. The Jeep ran in the dirt for 8 hours and on the pavement for 1 hour to go from Fairfield to Ibapah then up to Wendover. I refueled the Jeep in Wendover and calculated the mileage. It achieved 33 MPG.

Now, keep in mind it was good weather and we stayed in 2WD. Lopping along at 30 MPH we simply used compression braking when we needed to slow down. And, once back on pavement, we cruised at 70 MPH.

Hunter
The Diesel doesn't seem to matter whether I'm on the road or off-road on the trail. The MPGs are consistently the same. I love it! It's all about the torque, off road in the low revs 90% of the time the diesel just sips fuel very conservatively 100 mile off road trails round trip not even a quarter tank! My 3.6 JK would eat up at least half a tank.
Sponsored