$30K Dealer Markup

MKwiatkowski28

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
My local dealer has a Granite 392 in stock and also has a RAM TRX on the showroom floor. $103K for the 392, $122K for the RAM TRX. It was the quickest visit to a dealer I've ever had. I know someone will pay those markups and that is fine. But that is way too tall for my wallet.
Sponsored

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I get it that the 392 is super cool. However I feel like Jeep is going to up its game in terms of customer service both in the buying experience and in the service dept if they think they are going to have a steady stream of people buying $100K cars. Because the service experience (lack of loaners, not even coffee in the waiting room) sure doesn't match the experience at most dealers where cars cost that much

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I get it that the 392 is super cool. However I feel like Jeep is going to up its game in terms of customer service both in the buying experience and in the service dept if they think they are going to have a steady stream of people buying $100K cars. Because the service experience (lack of loaners, not even coffee in the waiting room) sure doesn't match the experience at most dealers where cars cost that much
Dealership experience varies by dealer. My dealer offers loaners (though you have to get appointments a few days out if you want a loaner), coffee, water, etc.

There are two types of people that will pay a $30K mark-up on these things. Idiots who really shouldn't be doing so and people that can spend $30K with as much thought as most people give to spending $30. I am sure we are all envious of the latter.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Usually, due to state franchise laws, Jeep and/or Stellantis have very little control over such things.

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
Wow! If the dealer thinks they can get a $30K ADM then they can have my future 392 for a $25k mark-up...

I will say that the service experience I have had over ~20 years of owning Jeeps has been better than the 13 years of Land Rover service. And given the price difference for the vehicles and service costs (labor rate and parts), it's not even close. I easily will spend more in a year on my Range Rover standard factory service/oil change (so nothing broken) than I will spend over an entire 3 year Grand Cherokee V8 lease.

Sponsored

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Usually, due to state franchise laws, Jeep and/or Stellantis have very little control over such things.
I’m not sure what that has to do with my point. We’ve owned BMWs, land rovers and now got my first jeep (not a 392!). The dealers all located in the same city are vastly different in terms of customer experience, with jeep feeling like more of a bare bones no frills experience which is fine except I’ve had to already take it in twice with less then 1000 miles on it (that’s a different story). I also had a terrible experience with the dealer I purchased from (not my local) and a bad first service experience with a different local jeep dealer already. Despite the differences in customer service between the car makers the prices on the vehicles are getting less different - sure you can get in a jeep a lot cheaper but they have quite a high end line up now. I just wonder with multiple vehicles that cost 100K (new wagoneer is pricey also) if they need up their game a bit on the other end. As long as the demand is there I guess they don’t have to but once all these people realize a lot of the dealers cannot even reliably do an oil change I wonder if there will be blowback.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
For whatever it's worth, I have come across incredibly good and equally, incredibly bad dealerships throughout my life from:
-BMW
-Toyota
-Chevy
-Jaguar
-Audi
-Jeep
-Kia

Interestingly, the only brand dealer that we have had consistently great experiences with, including with their Sales AND Service Departments, throughout 3 different vehicle ownerships and across multiple states, was Cadillac.

But, the second best brand that I've had nearly all great experiences with, KIA.

Price of the vehicle brand you're considering purchasing in no way guarantees that it's high priced dealerships are great, and that also doesn't mean that all lower priced brands' dealers are bad.

Point being, everyone's experiences with their dealer's service departments varies. And, the ratio of good to bad dealerships is likely, arguably better for hi-priced brands, but there are good AND bad dealerships to be found across all brands.

Just my perspective.
-Rob

Last edited:

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
Supply / Demand
Nobody forces anyone to buy that Jeep.
These dealers are nothing.
Wait until the new "Government" sinks its teeth in for things that are truly needed.............