Sponsored

3 weeks driving like it should....... no lane wander!

Apkano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary
OK, this might not be for all of you.

My jeep wandered all over the road from day one. Mind you, I traded in a SRT Challenger for the 80th JLUS. After reading the forums I just figured it's a "Jeep thing" with a solid front axle. I did the normal upgrades, Tires, bumper, lift.....etc.. The Jeep still required me to make 10000 adjustments to the steering wheel per mile, no fun when you have a 40 mile expressway drive one way every day.

I finally got to the Teraflex sway bar disconnect part of my upgrades. Worked AWESOME offroad, (Highly recommended!), and an easy install. No, I'm not advocating for just Teraflex.... just sway bar disconnects in general.

One day after being buried in the mud to the point I snapped a 10,000# Smittybilt winch cable (not their fault, I was buried about 1/3 the way up the doors). I was pissed off at myself and left the offroad park in anger. In my "stupidity" I started my trip from Flint back to DeTOILET (michigan) without the sway bars hooked back up!

I was going to pull over and hook the up because I knew what I forgot when it felt a little tippy on corners. It was raining, I was tired, pissed off.... you all know.

After a few miles on the expressway I found that I wasn't chasing the Jeep all over the road @70MPH. Made me think.... I left them disconnected.

I will say...... I'm NEVER HOOKING UP THE SWAY BAR AGAIN!

For the past 3 weeks I've had the sway bars disconnected. It IS a little "floaty" sometimes, and you need to use due caution to a back-and-forth maneuver on the Expressway, but IT FINALLY DRIVES GOOD!

I know this isn't for everyone, it is a little "tippy".... but if you drive cautiously....... it is night and day to me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Apkano

Apkano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary
Forgot to add my setup:
2021 80th JLUS
2" Mopar lift
33" Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Smittybilt XRC bumper and winch (steel cable)
Teraflex Quick disconnect sway bars

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
This is interesting. Do you have an aftermarket front track bar to center the axle and lower front control arms to adjust caster?

OP
OP
Apkano

Apkano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary
This is interesting. Do you have an aftermarket front track bar to center the axle and lower front control arms to adjust caster?
No. The guy who installed the lift is a master of Jeeps. It was at Golling Jeep on Telegraph road, 2 miles from FCA headquarters. He basically does all the corporate people's personal Jeeps.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
No. The guy who installed the lift is a master of Jeeps. It was at Golling Jeep on Telegraph road, 2 miles from FCA headquarters. He basically does all the corporate people's personal Jeeps.
What is your caster currently? I'd be careful w/out the sways, in an emergency like trying to dodge a tire in the road or something suddenly in your path you could end up in a bad way.
Sponsored