Sponsored

3 Offroad shops have stirred me away from Metalcloak to Teraflex suspension due to much better warranty service

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
I just bought a brand new 2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and looking at adding 37" tires and a 3.5" suspension system. My initial inclination was towards the Metalcloak gamechanger 3.5 kit and so I reached out to 3 offroad shops here in Southern California, 2 of them authorized Metalcloak installers, for price estimates. The one shop who wasn't an installer said he could install it, but told me he recommends going with Teraflex mainly because he finds them comparable, but mainly because dealing with Metalcloak for warranty service is a 'nightmare', but Teraflex's warranty is the best. I took what he said with a grain salt since he wasn't an authorized installer, but when I reached out to the other 2 installers they both stirred me both to Teraflex mainly for the same reason about the warranty and them being comparable. So now I am reaching out to you guys to hear what you guys think. All the threads I've read speak highly of Metalcloak both as a suspension system, but also as a company so I am confused as to why I am being told this.
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Teraflex has a higher profit margin because all their products are made in China. My local shop regularly discounted their Teraflex products 10~15%, and still manage to make decent profits. I don't think Metalcloak can get that much discount, so that may be a reason.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I just bought a brand new 2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and looking at adding 37" tires and a 3.5" suspension system. My initial inclination was towards the Metalcloak gamechanger 3.5 kit and so I reached out to 3 offroad shops here in Southern California, 2 of them authorized Metalcloak installers, for price estimates. The one shop who wasn't an installer said he could install it, but told me he recommends going with Teraflex mainly because he finds them comparable, but mainly because dealing with Metalcloak for warranty service is a 'nightmare', but Teraflex's warranty is the best. I took what he said with a grain salt since he wasn't an authorized installer, but when I reached out to the other 2 installers they both stirred me both to Teraflex mainly for the same reason about the warranty and them being comparable. So now I am reaching out to you guys to hear what you guys think. All the threads I've read speak highly of Metalcloak both as a suspension system, but also as a company so I am confused as to why I am being told this.
Speaking as one that has the 3.5 gamechanger w/6pak shocks I call BULLSHIT!

I've had 1 leaky shock at 14 months. One phonecall, they connected me to Landon who handles shocks. All he asked was to verify my address before he sent the replacement shock along with the return label. They warranty the shocks for 18mthsish. I had another shock that I simply didn't like how it sat after 2-1/2 years. Again he verified my address and sent a replacement along with return label. Both times no questions asked and if I recall, both times Wil reached out and made sure I had been taken care of. I am not experienced with teraflex's service and won't badmouth them, but I would be curious if there have been issues resolved that seemlessly thru teraflex?
I say consider the source when someone starts badmouthing!
@Metalcloak

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Probably a NorCal vs SoCal thing......:LOL:...... MC is hands down the better choice here, and this is coming from an RK guy.....lol. I’ve bought other things from MC, and also returned parts. Always got treated right.

Last edited:

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Agree with @plex, I suspect they are looking at profit margins for their sale. I could be wrong, but that’s what it sounds like because their warranty claims have no merit. I’ve always experienced top-notch quality customer service from Metalcloak.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Very few thread get me spun up like this one. Nothing directed at the OP by any means but of alllll the companies we work with, metalcloak has hands down the best customer service out there.

I could honestly make Significantly more money installing other companies lifts by way of margin but there’s a reason I install nearly exclusive Metalcloak. They are seriously one of the best companies you can work with and offer a tremendous product and it infuriates me a authorized installer would use that angle to try to steer you to a substandard product in the interest of profit. That is reason #101 that we’re in business.

I pay a considerable amount every month to participate in this forum as a sponsor. I don’t have a tangible product to sell and ship across the country like nearly every other sponsor. Im not here to strum up business as our market is so incredibly small when compared to the entire reach of the forum. I try to share our knowledge and experience and receive zero compensation for our views and opinions. I don’t receive free products and buy everything we use. I hope people understand I try to be as unbiased as possible and my opinion in based on first hand experiences with products. My distain for teraflex lifts and also the 3.3 shocks is not based on what I read but actual hands on experience with their products. They have an incredible marketing team and actually some decent products I like like the alpha tire carrier and some JK stuff. But when I reached out for help from them on a customers horrible ride with the 3.3s after they realized their mistake (teraflex) and make the SP2 available I called to inquire if there was an upgrade path available. I was told they would only revalve them to a 2dr (For a cost) or the owner could sell their current shocks themselves and order the sp2. They knew their was an issue with the ride and they left an untold number of folks out in the cold. I can’t respect a company like that.

@CloakedJL

brett

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Yeah those installers wanted to charge you Metalcloak prices for a Teraflex kit. It has nothing to do with the warranty. For one, the quality of Metalcloak means that they rarely have to worry about warranty. But Matson is a good guy and absolutely stands behind his products. And I am not biased as I do not even own any MC products.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Very few thread get me spun up like this one. Nothing directed at the OP by any means but of alllll the companies we work with, metalcloak has hands down the best customer service out there.

I could honestly make Significantly more money installing other companies lifts by way of margin but there’s a reason I install nearly exclusive Metalcloak. They are seriously one of the best companies you can work with and offer a tremendous product and it infuriates me a authorized installer would use that angle to try to steer you to a substandard product in the interest of profit. That is reason #101 that we’re in business.

I pay a considerable amount every month to participate in this forum as a sponsor. I don’t have a tangible product to sell and ship across the country like nearly every other sponsor. Im not here to strum up business as our market is so incredibly small when compared to the entire reach of the forum. I try to share our knowledge and experience and receive zero compensation for our views and opinions. I don’t receive free products and buy everything we use. I hope people understand I try to be as unbiased as possible and my opinion in based on first hand experiences with products. My distain for teraflex lifts and also the 3.3 shocks is not based on what I read but actual hands on experience with their products. They have an incredible marketing team and actually some decent products I like like the alpha tire carrier and some JK stuff. But when I reached out for help from them on a customers horrible ride with the 3.3s after they realized their mistake (teraflex) and make the SP2 available I called to inquire if there was an upgrade path available. I was told they would only revalve them to a 2dr (For a cost) or the owner could sell their current shocks themselves and order the sp2. They knew their was an issue with the ride and they left an untold number of folks out in the cold. I can’t respect a company like that.

@CloakedJL

brett
....another box checked in the consider the source column.
I've not seen Brett say one bullshit, heated or pushy response as a sponsor or a as a member here in my time here as an observing member. God knows there are all kinds of jerk off responses to be found here by folks with zero tangible experience. You're a class act Brett, your normalcy along with your professionalism is a blessing!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
....another box checked in the consider the source column.
I've not seen Brett say one bullshit, heated or pushy response as a sponsor or a as a member here in my time here as an observing member. God knows there are all kinds of jerk off responses to be found here by folks with zero tangible experience. You're a class act Brett, your normalcy along with your professionalism is a blessing!
Appreciate that! Im just like any other member, I just pay to be here :CWL:

brett

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I read the title and came in to defend MetalCloak...

But it looks like you have had a number of people beat me to it. I admit that I'm a bit biased, as I have their 2.5" Game Changer with Rocksport shocks.

Loved their kit since I had a ride in a JK long ago with their system. Finally got a Jeep of my own and the shop steered me toward a long arm kit saying it really was the way to go and would ride super nice and so much better than MetalCloak.

Mistake.

Happily I went with MetalCloak this time, and I'm very happy I did. It rides great and is everything I hoped it would be from memories of a JK ride long ago...

Now, I love watching Teraflex and I have been close to getting their adjustable shocks so I can't say how they will be for you ... but IMHO MetalCloak is an awesome company. I'm fixing to spend more money with them.

:beer:

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’ll say both companies really play hard in the Wrangler arena, but MetalCloak has the upper hand here for both customer service and how they actually engineer and test their product.

I think the tend to spend more on engineering and therefore build higher quality products (which is why their kits get pricy) and hope the word gets out vs. spending a fortune in advertising.

Think I was an early adopter of their stuff on my JK - they were in business but RK and RC and all those other companies were all over 4wheelparts and JCWhitney and all the large parts catalogues. Happy I took the leap of faith early. Probably saved me a ton of money in the long run.

Had tons of questions early on and Matson was actually helping me get answers at that time. If he’s getting involved in small quirky questions, that’s saying a lot.

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I was worried for a moment....I just ordered a 2.5" Game Changer today during their Labor Day Sale. I am relieved to see the responses are what I had hoped they would be. I am looking forward to giving the MC Game Changer some real world testing:rock:

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Teraflex has a higher profit margin because all their products are made in China. My local shop regularly discounted their Teraflex products 10~15%, and still manage to make decent profits. I don't think Metalcloak can get that much discount, so that may be a reason.

Every Teraflex product I have clearly states Made In USA. I also called Teraflex to verify and again was told: Made in USA. The Teraflex products I have installed are all 8 IR control arms and the rear track bar relocation bracket, extremely happy with them and would buy again if starting over. Also love my Steer Smarts gear. (Front track bar, drag link & Rubi-length tie rod)

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Every Teraflex product I have clearly states Made In USA. I also called Teraflex to verify and again was told: Made in USA. The Teraflex products I have installed are all 8 IR control arms and the rear track bar relocation bracket, extremely happy with them and would buy again if starting over. Also love my Steer Smarts gear. (Front track bar, drag link & Rubi-length tie rod)
With all due respect, no freaking way, unless they changed their major operation, all my JK Teraflex parts except springs, which they outsourced from another company anyway, are made in China. Back in the JK days, there are actually quite a few Mopar parts were rebadged Teraflex and made in China too.

Agree with @rustyshakelford, their marketing team is amazing and to stake this impression into people's brain that Teraflex is not rough country/smittybilt quality, is actually quite a turnaround from the day they shocks were so crap they have to include Fox shocks in their lifting kits.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This chaps my a$$, when I was looking for a lift kit and asked questions regarding kits/shocks not one of you MFR'S brought this up, NOT ONE PERSON and now all I hear is pure hate for TeraFlex and it is CHEAP CHINESE CRAP. I was curious and it turns out my Methods are CHEAP CHINESE CRAP, according to all of you my entire jeep is CHEAP CHINESE CRAP. God knows I can't wait fort my CHEAP CHINESE CRAP steering box to get here so I can finally stay in my F'ing lane......
Sponsored