3 Newbs and a Moab Trip

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
Moab was SUPER amazing years ago. Now it's just an overrun tourist trap with folks trapped in urban sprawl from all over the country, coming to decompress. Yes, you can still get out in the boonies but the dirt roads are dusty and beat to shit from all the traffic. Dispersed camping is always available but you're lucky to find any good spots not taken unless you travel miles into the outback.

My last trip, my favorite spot 5 miles down a dirt road looked like an RV show with so many motorhomes, trailers and toyhaulers. Little kids, drunks and assholes in general jamming around the area making so much dust you could see it for miles.

Wann'a see the parks? Get in line...they fill up early and ya wait until someone leaves before you can enter. Wann'a go to town for groceries or an ice-cream? A 45 minute crawling traffic jam is not uncommon heading into town. Going for dinner? You and about 5000 of your best friends had the same idea. Hotels, campgrounds...booked.

I don't want to blow out your plans for a grand Moab adventure, but be aware, if you like crowds and a Disneyland like get-away...or if you are from the east or some other urban shit hole, it might be right up your alley. The internet and social media has done wonders for Moab, and Utah in general.

My last trip...was my last trip. You can have it ALL to yourself. Just one less local to take up space.
My brother and I went to Moab for some Mtn biking and off-roading in July 2003. Damn near had the place to ourselves. :)
Sponsored

Kolkebeck

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
In Moab right now. Although my Jeep is still in NJ. we rented a JLUR rubicon. Arrived yesterday and the town was crowded. Today it is empty. We did arches including the tower arch trail, whale eye and out willow springs. we are here to visit the parks. We will do fins and things and a few other mild trails.

OP
OP

Shamwedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S | 2 Door | 6 Speed | Hydro
In Moab right now. Although my Jeep is still in NJ. we rented a JLUR rubicon. Arrived yesterday and the town was crowded. Today it is empty. We did arches including the tower arch trail, whale eye and out willow springs. we are here to visit the parks. We will do fins and things and a few other mild trails.
Good luck and have fun out there!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I would love to try both types of trails. I guess I like a little danger and thrill I suppose. Looking forward to seeing everything. Right now, we plan on spending an entire day on the White Rim Trail, so hopefully we'll get to see a good majority of the Canyonlands. Excellent pictures!
GREAT! Enjoy. We didnā€™t do White Rim but I have read that it is quite terrific! You have likely done your research already on this but, just in case you havenā€™t, keep in mind that a permit is needed for that trail (even for day use). I donā€™t know what the process is or how difficult that a permit is do obtain..... Iā€™m guessing that it will be a fantastic experience driving that trail. You can see the trail from Island in the sky, I think..... you look right down on a long trail winding around the canyon edge. (Not right on the edge.... back a little). Looks amazing.

apart from the road construction causing crappy traffic in town, we didnā€™t experience any issues with crowded trails. The grocery store was never crowded, food takeout restaurants were easy, filling stations no issues...., no lines to get into CanyonLands or arches..... just not ā€˜crowdedā€™ when we were there in October. That said, we tend to be early birds.......

Hiiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU4xe,
Moab was SUPER amazing years ago. Now it's just an overrun tourist trap with folks trapped in urban sprawl from all over the country, coming to decompress. Yes, you can still get out in the boonies but the dirt roads are dusty and beat to shit from all the traffic. Dispersed camping is always available but you're lucky to find any good spots not taken unless you travel miles into the outback.

My last trip, my favorite spot 5 miles down a dirt road looked like an RV show with so many motorhomes, trailers and toyhaulers. Little kids, drunks and assholes in general jamming around the area making so much dust you could see it for miles.

Wann'a see the parks? Get in line...they fill up early and ya wait until someone leaves before you can enter. Wann'a go to town for groceries or an ice-cream? A 45 minute crawling traffic jam is not uncommon heading into town. Going for dinner? You and about 5000 of your best friends had the same idea. Hotels, campgrounds...booked.

I don't want to blow out your plans for a grand Moab adventure, but be aware, if you like crowds and a Disneyland like get-away...or if you are from the east or some other urban shit hole, it might be right up your alley. The internet and social media has done wonders for Moab, and Utah in general.

My last trip...was my last trip. You can have it ALL to yourself. Just one less local to take up space.
Wow.. I have never been and want to go, but I imagined it totally different than your explanation. I may as well go drive on the beach:)

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Fins and Hellā€™s Revenge definitely doable stock. Steel Bender, NOā€¦ unless there is a bypass I didnā€™t see.

Top of the World doable as well but more of a challenge IMO. No bypasses there.
Sponsored