Sponsored

3 forward facing child-seats in a JLU?

Heb80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado, 2006 Durango
I test fit our three 5-point harness forward facing car seats (two Graco Nautilus's and a Graco Slim Fit) in a JLU this morning. They did not fit width-wise. The bulky interior door-handles / armrests in the JLU interfered with the child-seats and reduced the 55" door-panel-to-door-panel width by 4" resulting in 51" of available width (I think I need about 54").

Even if I buy the narrowest car seats on the market (Diono Radians) at 17" x 3 = 51" it will be tight.

Has anyone else had success with 3 across a JLU?

If I could remove the JLU's door mounted armrests I think I could get it to work. Does anyone know if the arm rests are removable until my kids outgrown their child-seats?

Interestingly, I measured an older style 2018 JKU on the lot and it measured 54" door-handle to door-handle. So I guess the JLU is actually less accommodating than a JKU.
Sponsored

Joe81

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning to get a JL
I noticed that the door interferes with the car seat. Our car seat has an integrated cup holder in its right side, so I changed to the left side and it works.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I think you need a different suv/minivan to safely and comfortable get what you need. The middle rear seat doesnā€™t have the anchors and the seat bottom isnā€™t supported. I wouldnā€™t use this type of vehicle for 3 babies/toddlers, but to each his own. Iā€™ve seen guys drive corvettes with 2 kids sharing the passenger seat.

I lived this with my Jku, but I only had 1 baby/child. It was doable but if I had 3, I would definitely look at at least a Grand Cherokee Limited.

Good luck and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be fine, just takes patience due to the cramped rear seats and doors.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Your five point harness seats are gonna have trouble. If you've got three in that age range that the five point is really needed, any two row is probably too small. I'd skip the Grand Cherokee if I were you, and go look at the Durango.

I'd suggest leasing, then in a couple years revisiting your priorities. That's what I did, and it's worked out really well for me. I'm very excited to dump the Explorer and finally get my Jeep... :like::rock::jk:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
3 kids in the age range they need car seats you busy dog you!!! However, I offer you DIY solutions.

Sponsored

BombayTuna

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Can confirm 3 car seats across in my JLU sport S. Two Diono 3R forward facing, and one chicco keyfit 30 infant seat.

Note: Middle seat doesnā€™t allow for lap latch...only top latch connection. It requires you to use the middle seat belt. To the best of my knowledge, your forward facing child must exceed 40lbs for this configuration.

I tried to double up the the middle car seatā€™s bottom latch points with the side car seatā€™s, but they are not big enough to do that.

8309DA53-0B76-4700-86BA-5949A45194C9.jpeg
18C129C4-15C5-4D54-BB6E-8DC55E0403AE.jpeg

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Can confirm 3 car seats across in my JLU sport S. Two Diono 3R forward facing, and one chicco keyfit 30 infant seat.

Note: Middle seat doesnā€™t allow for lap latch...only top latch connection. It requires you to use the middle seat belt. To the best of my knowledge, your forward facing child must exceed 40lbs for this configuration.

I tried to double up the the middle car seatā€™s bottom latch points with the side car seatā€™s, but they are not big enough to do that.

Looks pretty tight - how miserable are the kids in this config? How long can you travel with them this way?

Deleted member 29342

Wow that looks tight. We have only forward facing car seat. If baby 2 ever comes I think that would be the max Iā€™ll put in my JLUR. Even in our GC I think 3 forward facing will be tight. Must people I know that have 3 kids just opt out for a minivan.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Iā€™ve got 2 car seats in the back seat, one forward facing the other rear facing with a 16 year old in the middle! Itā€™s doable but there is some complaining ! Depending on how old your oldest is, the slimmer seats could work.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

OP, the rear doors are removeable. Problem solved!

We got a suburban for a similar fitment issue. Stupid suburban doesnt have seat anchors behind the drivers seat. STUPID design! The newest ones probably have them. Talk about big fail on one of the ultimate family suvs!

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
7834E0AD-9B1B-4BA9-96A3-A569A3E5353A.jpeg
just drove from Houston to Colorado Springs with a 3, 5 and 3 month old in the JLUR....3 Diono radian 3RXT car seats, worked pretty great.
same,

we drove from new orleans to Chattanooga and back in the same configuration.

Last edited:

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Props for trying to be the cool dad but I think itā€™s time to look at full size SUVā€™s or the dreaded minivan.

I would know, we were having our 4th child and letting go of the BMW key fob was really hard for a minivan. It still hurts.

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
I guess as long as you are comfortable and feel safe who cares about the kids....
Sponsored