Sponsored

3 days old and the dreaded computer issue...advice on how to handle w dealer?

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
Just had a bad issue with my brand new JL. Bought it Monday, took it in today (Thursday, 3 days later!) to have hitch installed. On my way home from the dealer, I was stopped at a light, engine shut off, and she refused to restart. The computer went haywire, saying my power steering needed serviced. I had two other people trying to help me get it restarted before we realized the main battery’s negative cable was completely off. (Side note - learn where your park override release is because the car would NOT let me put it in neutral and get the car off the road!) Guessing the dealer mistakenly didn’t tighten the cable, but once fixed, the problems didn’t stop there. Once we got it reconnected, the engine started but kept throwing various codes and errors. Power steering, ESS, airbags, battery, etc. Thankfully I was only a mile from home, but the whole way there the car told me to pull over safely and that the engine was about to stop. It kept saying this even after I had parked, turned the engine off, disconnected and reconnected the battery, and restarted it - in Park the whole time. The codes kept coming, the dash went haywire blinking lights and dinging like I left my lights on. Slowly, like watching the sun go down, the power died. First the dinging stopped, then the flickering controls dimmed, then they went off altogether, all that was left was the speedometer and RMP gauges jumping. Eventually they too shut down. The dealer was very kind, so far it sounds like they will take care of me. The one question I have though is what to expect from here? I won’t worry too much about a minor issue like the battery terminal connection, but I’m worried that I will have lifelong issues with the electronics of this car. I have only owned it for three days and she’s already had her first tow. What can/should I expect here? What would you do?
exact same thing happened to me this morning!!!!!!! terminals were tight though.. Its at dealer now
Sponsored