First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
I finally got my JLU back from the dealer. The first replacement steering box was defective and wouldn't allow proper front end alignment.
The second replacement steering box aligned within specs. It still has a tiny bit of play in the steering, but only about 1/4". On straight level roads it is much easier to handle, I don't have to saw back and forth an inch to stay straight. Overall I'm happy with the way it handles on the road. I never did have any appreciable wandering, and the little that I did have I attribute to the slack/play in the steering.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I take offense to that. It was definitely an emissions number cruncher that promoted the use of aluminum everywhere.

does anyone make a non-aluminum steering box? Short of a 3200$ (plus install) PSC system.
There were theories here that the JK boxes were the same, but steel. I don't recall ever seeing anyone try a swap, though.

Also I seem to recall there's at least one sensor in the JL box? If so, I don't know if the electric steering will function without it? These are things I should know but obviously don't. Just mentioning to stimulate discussion

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
There were theories here that the JK boxes were the same, but steel. I don't recall ever seeing anyone try a swap, though.

Also I seem to recall there's at least one sensor in the JL box? If so, I don't know if the electric steering will function without it? These are things I should know but obviously don't. Just mentioning to stimulate discussion
There is not an electrical sensor in the JL box. Both rely on a "mechanical" torque sensor, which is basically a torsion spring in the spool valve of the box.

SpeedKills

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2-Door, 2008 Rubicon 2-Door,2014 Ram 1500, 2013 CRF250L
Second get the steering box track bar brace by Rustys.
The Rusty's brace is a nice piece of gear but use caution. The extended length bolt for the track bar was 1/2" too long and impacted the axle tube when flexing on rough pavement. It gouged a bolt-width scratch about 1/8" deep from the axle tube. After it damaged the axle tube, I flipped the bolt the opposite direction from what is shown in the instructions so it cleared. Rusty's told me to send photos of the damage but they have not responded after 10 days.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
The Rusty's brace is a nice piece of gear but use caution. The extended length bolt for the track bar was 1/2" too long and impacted the axle tube when flexing on rough pavement. It gouged a bolt-width scratch about 1/8" deep from the axle tube. After it damaged the axle tube, I flipped the bolt the opposite direction from what is shown in the instructions so it cleared. Rusty's told me to send photos of the damage but they have not responded after 10 days.
Wow, thanks for this info. I just checked and no damage yet but I can see where it will cause damage. I am going to flip bolt tomorrow. Again, Thank you. We need to inform others of this.

Sponsored

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Could not agree more with everything you have said. But when engine blocks, cylinder heads and transmissions first started being manufactured using aluminum there was a lot of problems associated with heat transfer. New metals, manufacturing processes, tolerances, and seal materials have all been developed over the years to improve on the use of aluminum in engines and transmissions. My point was only that using aluminum for a steering box was in the early stages of use. And now FCA has just announced a Fix that will replace the aluminum box with a steel one. ( if I am understanding this TSB correctly)
TSB 08-074-20

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Sterring boxes themselves are not broken or bad, just improperly set backlash.
Dealers need to learn how to adjust them, instead of throwing new once untill they find one that was set tight from factory.
Planning to tighten up mine here in a few days myself.
Not true. Some of the early boxes couldn't be fixed by adjusting them (I had one). The play may have been in bearing pre-load (or somewhere else), but sector shaft backlash adjustment had no affect.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I am positive what you experienced was the amazing competence of a Jeep dealer service department.

That was sarcasm. I am pretty sure they learned how to install this on your Jeep, and you got lucky they didn't break something else in the process. Or did you.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
These are all valid concerns, but not germane to my issue. The problem is that when the steering shaft (input) is rotated a certain amount, the pitman arm (output) doesn't move. This causes play/slack that is felt in the steering wheel. It doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, or if the box is hot or cold. So, it seems that the tolerances prescribed for the steering box manufacturing either is too loose, or the they aren't being followed correctly during manufacturing.

Other than this play in the steering, I have zero issues with way the vehicle handles. It really doesn't wander or pull. The steering seems solid enough to handle the numerous mountain switchbacks that I have to traverse every day without any problems. In fact my JLU handles some rough off camber roads better than my F150 Raptor does... which really surprised me.
Yep. LOL.

Only way I fixed that in my TJ was to buy a completely brand new box from PSC that was straight up from the ground up new (and not OEM). Thankfully I don't have that issue w/ my JL, I would be going fucking insane. It's at best tiring to operate a vehicle like that and worst case flat out dangerous.

Phillies06

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited
Im curious to know how it turns out fo others ,I have a 20 Willy & I was surprised to find. out that this one would have steering issues ,that was the whole reason we traded my 18 Wrangler in it only had 7000 miles on it due to that reason no matter what they did it really didn’t correct it .So my 20 Willy I have now I’ve only had it a little over a month they did replacement (service bulletin,0807420) per Jeep cares & dealership the dealership said it’s in working condition I say for whom if it was I wouldn’t be writing this right now but my issue still is the steering is so hypersensitive especially when your at a higher speed you just touch it slightly gives a feeling of over correcting it starts to jerk/sway back n forth a little nerve wrecking.I seriously don’t. Understand how this keeps happening & Jeep continues to sell them that way it’s frustrating for the owners & you shouldn’t be responsible for any fees either. Yes I know people say it’s a Jeep & yes I know that it’s not a Mercedes but I don’t expect my steering to be the way it is either Jeep or not I know so many of us are dealing with this & I truly hope no one gets seriously injured if they haven’t already & instead of manufacturing other models that are coming out they should. concentrate on the ones they already have out & fix them correctly ..
I’m still trying to work with Jeep cares
Ty Nancy
UPDATE :Spoke with Jeep cares Rosemarie contact person will be bringing Jeep back
In end of Oct were hoping issue with swearing finally gets resolved..
Sponsored

Last edited: