Sponsored

3 bad steering boxes...WTH FCA?

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Sterring boxes themselves are not broken or bad, just improperly set backlash.
Dealers need to learn how to adjust them, instead of throwing new once untill they find one that was set tight from factory.
Planning to tighten up mine here in a few days myself.
I think this is true to some degree, and might fix most, but I seem to have play in the interface where the spool valve lives, and I have taken apart a AC gearbox with the same issue. I can't get to the area with the play without ruining the box so I have not gone for it yet. I have also read of another forum member with the same issue.

As far as I can tell there are 2-3 interfaces inside the box that can have play:
1. Sector gears (adjustable)
2. Pinion gear to worm screw (where the balls ride)
3. Worm-gear to input shaft (where the spool valve and torque sensor/torsion spring live)
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well, Iā€™m beginning to lose confidence in FCA!

I took my ā€™20 Willys in to the dealer yesterday to have the steering box replaced due to slack in the steering.

The backstory : https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1194198

They originally said the replacement would only take 2 or 3 hours. Well, I get a call 4 hours after I dropped it off and they said the new steering box is installedā€¦but they are having problems aligning the front end. Then the service guy said it would probably take until tomorrow to finish it since it is getting late. This morning I get a call, and apparently there is a very good reason why the vehicle wonā€™t align properlyā€¦ the new replacement steering box is defective. Apparently, the new box wonā€™t allow the steering to go all the way to one side. Of course, the (2nd) new part wonā€™t be in until Monday.

Fortunately, they did give me a courtesy car to use while they had mine. It is a 2019 wrangler sport S. When I got in it, I thought great, Iā€™ll see what itā€™s like to drive a wrangler with normal steering. Well, yeah, not so fastā€¦this vehicle has the exact same issue as mine, about 1ā€ of play in the steering.

So, in the past 24 hours Iā€™ve been dealing with THREE bad steering boxes, my original, the courtesy loaner and now the replacement for my vehicle.

Hey @JeepCares WTH is going on with FCAā€™s quality control? This JLU is the 10th new vehicle that Iā€™ve purchased and I have never had anywhere near this many issues with any of those new vehicles.

So now Iā€™m wondering what the chances are that the next steering box will actually work correctly?

Rob
Hi Rob, we certainly regret to hear about your recent concerns. Please send us a private message with your VIN so that we may look into this further for you.

Kathryn
JeepCares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I read your original post of your issues. I have a service appointment for this coming Wednesday. I too think my steering box is junk. My play has increased significantly in last 5-10k miles. Curious if your outcome.
Hello @Halstem1
If you would like our additional support while working with your dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to offer an additional layer of assistance to your service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
My opinion and experience. First off jl steering box is junk. Aluminum heats up, expands and contracts at different rates than steel, it will never operate correctly. You need to adjust steering play with the adjuster. A very small amount makes a huge improvement. Second get the steering box track bar brace by Rustys. Then you will see a huge improvement, but still not perfect. If you put a pry bar where the track bar is mounted you will see the bracket and steering box move. FCA uses extremely thin and cheep metal in this area. A brace greatly improves this problem. Second when and if my steering box wears out, or maybe sooner, I will be buying the PSC steering kit which will also get rid of the electric pump that is also part of the problem. The electric steering system is constantly trying to compensate for steering input signals. New improvements And engineering designs are great but do we really need this kind of advanced steering system off road. We all spend a lot more money on other accessories and I know this is something that should not have any issues but FCA knows about this problem and all they do is replace steering boxes and reflash computers. What does that tell you? Oh and also check all of your steering components. Remove the cotter pins and check every nut and torque properly. My Jeep now feels like a completely new vehicle. Good luck with your Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robnfl

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
My opinion and experience. First off jl steering box is junk. Aluminum heats up, expands and contracts at different rates than steel, it will never operate correctly. You need to adjust steering play with the adjuster. A very small amount makes a huge improvement. Second get the steering box track bar brace by Rustys. Then you will see a huge improvement, but still not perfect. If you put a pry bar where the track bar is mounted you will see the bracket and steering box move. FCA uses extremely thin and cheep metal in this area. A brace greatly improves this problem. Second when and if my steering box wears out, or maybe sooner, I will be buying the PSC steering kit which will also get rid of the electric pump that is also part of the problem. The electric steering system is constantly trying to compensate for steering input signals. New improvements And engineering designs are great but do we really need this kind of advanced steering system off road. We all spend a lot more money on other accessories and I know this is something that should not have any issues but FCA knows about this problem and all they do is replace steering boxes and reflash computers. What does that tell you? Oh and also check all of your steering components. Remove the cotter pins and check every nut and torque properly. My Jeep now feels like a completely new vehicle. Good luck with your Jeep.
These are all valid concerns, but not germane to my issue. The problem is that when the steering shaft (input) is rotated a certain amount, the pitman arm (output) doesn't move. This causes play/slack that is felt in the steering wheel. It doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, or if the box is hot or cold. So, it seems that the tolerances prescribed for the steering box manufacturing either is too loose, or the they aren't being followed correctly during manufacturing.

Other than this play in the steering, I have zero issues with way the vehicle handles. It really doesn't wander or pull. The steering seems solid enough to handle the numerous mountain switchbacks that I have to traverse every day without any problems. In fact my JLU handles some rough off camber roads better than my F150 Raptor does... which really surprised me.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
These are all valid concerns, but not germane to my issue. The problem is that when the steering shaft (input) is rotated a certain amount, the pitman arm (output) doesn't move. This causes play/slack that is felt in the steering wheel. It doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, or if the box is hot or cold. So, it seems that the tolerances prescribed for the steering box manufacturing either is too loose, or the they aren't being followed correctly during manufacturing.

Other than this play in the steering, I have zero issues with way the vehicle handles. It really doesn't wander or pull. The steering seems solid enough to handle the numerous mountain switchbacks that I have to traverse every day without any problems. In fact my JLU handles some rough off camber roads better than my F150 Raptor does... which really surprised me.
Possibly an opinion question.... but do you think this slack can cause death wobble? I have what you described. I have ruled out all other causes of DW. Happened again today. Curious if this could be my cause or if I have 2 problems.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, this slack wasnā€™t there when I bought it. At least not as pronounced as it is currently. Makes me think itā€™s the structural internals and not the factory setting. Just theory obviously.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL

Sounds like steering box is way out of adjustment and or premature wear. If the box was adjusted on the tight side or to tight to begin with you would definitely get pre mature wear in steering box. It sounds like you might have a more serious issue than a improperly adjusted steering box. You also stated that the slack wasnā€™t there when you picked up the Jeep. When I drove my new jl home I had about 11/2 to 2 inches of play in the steering wheel. Never took it back to the dealer and fixed it myself. Maybe it was and you didnā€™t notice it as the Jeep was new to you. I have run into lots of people that donā€™t notice any steering issues and when I drive them I can tell you they are all defective. Not trying to sound like a expert but just trying to explain what might be happening. How many miles on the Jeep? When you get it back, especially if they give you a new steering box check everything out as I said before. I have worked at dealerships for years and honestly they will say anything to make you feel better. There is a fix, even a combination of fixes . But I personally put no trust in the dealer because they can only do what they are given permission to do. And FCA is not admitting any problems at this time. There are lots of people that have had these issues and it still comes down to the customer making the repairs themselves. I wish you great success with your issue because when you get it sorted out the Jeep is awesome.

OP
OP
Robnfl

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USN
Sounds like steering box is way out of adjustment and or premature wear.
Yup, that's what problem is, it's out of adjustment. Even the dealership service manager stated that. But, apparently the dealerships aren't authorized to make the adjustment, he didn't state that, I read it somewhere.

You also stated that the slack wasnā€™t there when you picked up the Jeep.
No, I never said that. I didn't notice the slack until a few days later. To me it is not really noticeable until driven on a straight road for a few minutes. In my neck of the woods (literally) there are very few straight roads. The steering slack does not come into play on twisty roads. It is very noticeable on longish straight roads above about 50 mph. At that point the vehicle drifts a little which causes a sawing motion to maintain a straight course.

I wish you great success with your issue because when you get it sorted out the Jeep is awesome.
Thank you!

Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
the play in my AE box increases by at least 3/16" end-to-end as the temperature increases from 30 to 70 deg F. I would like to strangle the accountant who decided it was good for the bottom line to use aluminum in the box (cheaper and/or reduced CAFE penalties). accountants are the worst.

Last edited:

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the play in my AE box increases by at least 3/16" end-to-end as the temperature increases from 30 to 70 deg F. I would like to strangle the account who decided it was good for the bottom line to use aluminum in the box (cheaper and/or reduced CAFE penalties). accountants are the worst.
I take offense to that. It was definitely an emissions number cruncher that promoted the use of aluminum everywhere.

does anyone make a non-aluminum steering box? Short of a 3200$ (plus install) PSC system.

OP
OP
Robnfl

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USN
Possibly an opinion question.... but do you think this slack can cause death wobble? I have what you described. I have ruled out all other causes of DW. Happened again today. Curious if this could be my cause or if I have 2 problems.
I didn't have any death wobble with my ~ 1" of play. The only time I noticed the play was on straight level roads...then it was difficult to maintain a straight line.
Sponsored