First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
Well, I’m beginning to lose confidence in FCA!

I took my ’20 Willys in to the dealer yesterday to have the steering box replaced due to slack in the steering.

The backstory : https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1194198

They originally said the replacement would only take 2 or 3 hours. Well, I get a call 4 hours after I dropped it off and they said the new steering box is installed…but they are having problems aligning the front end. Then the service guy said it would probably take until tomorrow to finish it since it is getting late. This morning I get a call, and apparently there is a very good reason why the vehicle won’t align properly… the new replacement steering box is defective. Apparently, the new box won’t allow the steering to go all the way to one side. Of course, the (2nd) new part won’t be in until Monday.

Fortunately, they did give me a courtesy car to use while they had mine. It is a 2019 wrangler sport S. When I got in it, I thought great, I’ll see what it’s like to drive a wrangler with normal steering. Well, yeah, not so fast…this vehicle has the exact same issue as mine, about 1” of play in the steering.

So, in the past 24 hours I’ve been dealing with THREE bad steering boxes, my original, the courtesy loaner and now the replacement for my vehicle.

Hey @JeepCares WTH is going on with FCA’s quality control? This JLU is the 10th new vehicle that I’ve purchased and I have never had anywhere near this many issues with any of those new vehicles.

So now I’m wondering what the chances are that the next steering box will actually work correctly?

Rob
Sponsored

OP
OP
Robnfl

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USN
Probably should sell it and buy a Bronco. Then you can do WTH Ford.
Yeah, maybe with the Bronco since it's a new platform, but I've owned 12 new and used fords and never had any (major) issues with them. The JL isn't exactly a new platform.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And I've had three Wranglers with great steering. Let's see how many Bronco owners start complaining about steering, suspension, electronics and on.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Yeah, maybe with the Bronco since it's a new platform, but I've owned 12 new and used fords and never had any (major) issues with them. The JL isn't exactly a new platform.
I own a 2014 Focus and 2018 Edge. Focus has been a nightmare with transmission issues though they’ve been covered by extended warranty. Edge has been pretty good except for some creaks and rattles. The 2015 JKUR I traded for my 2020 Recon was perfect...which shocked me.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well, I’m beginning to lose confidence in FCA!

I took my ’20 Willys in to the dealer yesterday to have the steering box replaced due to slack in the steering.

The backstory : https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1194198

They originally said the replacement would only take 2 or 3 hours. Well, I get a call 4 hours after I dropped it off and they said the new steering box is installed…but they are having problems aligning the front end. Then the service guy said it would probably take until tomorrow to finish it since it is getting late. This morning I get a call, and apparently there is a very good reason why the vehicle won’t align properly… the new replacement steering box is defective. Apparently, the new box won’t allow the steering to go all the way to one side. Of course, the (2nd) new part won’t be in until Monday.

Fortunately, they did give me a courtesy car to use while they had mine. It is a 2019 wrangler sport S. When I got in it, I thought great, I’ll see what it’s like to drive a wrangler with normal steering. Well, yeah, not so fast…this vehicle has the exact same issue as mine, about 1” of play in the steering.

So, in the past 24 hours I’ve been dealing with THREE bad steering boxes, my original, the courtesy loaner and now the replacement for my vehicle.

Hey @JeepCares WTH is going on with FCA’s quality control? This JLU is the 10th new vehicle that I’ve purchased and I have never had anywhere near this many issues with any of those new vehicles.

So now I’m wondering what the chances are that the next steering box will actually work correctly?

Rob
FYI: The box that the steering box part arrives in has made in China on it.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I read your original post of your issues. I have a service appointment for this coming Wednesday. I too think my steering box is junk. My play has increased significantly in last 5-10k miles. Curious if your outcome.

OP
OP
Robnfl

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USN
I read your original post of your issues. I have a service appointment for this coming Wednesday. I too think my steering box is junk. My play has increased significantly in last 5-10k miles. Curious if your outcome.
Since my dealer has already received one bad steering box and the Jeep mechanic who made this video received a bad steering box, I'm no too confident that the steering issue will be resolved this time. But, others on this forum have been able to fix the steering play/slack issue by replacing the steering box.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
FYI: The box that the steering box part arrives in has made in China on it.

And that my friends is the problem. I purchased a window switch from the internet as I didn't want to spend 200 for a genuine drivers side window switch (the one that controls all four windows) The next day i had a dead battery. Charge it up and the 2nd day I had a dead battery again. After backtracking, the window switch stays powered on indefinitely!! Lesson learned. Bought an original and all is well. I think the last thing the chinese invented was the bowl hair cut!!

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Sterring boxes themselves are not broken or bad, just improperly set backlash.
Dealers need to learn how to adjust them, instead of throwing new once untill they find one that was set tight from factory.
Planning to tighten up mine here in a few days myself.
Sponsored