Sponsored

3 bad cams/lifters in 11k m?

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Do you have it documented that the dealer changed can and lifters without changing the oil? That sounds like huge negligence to me. Anyone that works in a shop care to chime in?
Sponsored

OP
OP
uralist

uralist

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR - Sarge Green
Do you have it documented that the dealer changed can and lifters without changing the oil? That sounds like huge negligence to me. Anyone that works in a shop care to chime in?
Iā€™ll have to check the repair invoice to be sure, but an oil change wasnā€™t mentioned verbally, and Iā€™m pretty sure oil and filter were not listed on the parts list.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
We don't do any internal repairs without changing the oil afterwards.

In my opinion, once you have damaged cams, the metal can end up anywhere. LOTS of small passages in today's vehicles.

In the engine building biz, damaged cam in a V8 means the motor comes apart. The metal gets flung all over cylinder walls, gets into bearings, etc.

When they found damage in the top end the 2nd time, it was time for a new motor.

OP
OP
uralist

uralist

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR - Sarge Green
Dealer just called back to say they wonā€™t be replacing the engineā€¦. If @JeepCares , nows the time.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Dealer just called back to say they wonā€™t be replacing the engineā€¦. If @JeepCares , nows the time.
Thank you for tagging us, uralist. If you need support while your Jeep undergoes repairs, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I second those who suggest trading in. Trade-in values are high now, so take advantage. While you're covered under the warranty period, it's not something I would want to constantly be thinking about or the hassle of having to keep going back to the dealership.

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon 2008 Liberty 88 E-150
Did anyone check to see if the oil gallery plugs are loose? They loosen up sometimes and can cause all kinds of problems with the cam, cam phasers and the valve train.

Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Unfortunately no. They said theyā€™ll only replace the lifters and cams.
and Jeep dealers are so surprised that folks choose NOT to to utilize their services.

What is their reasoning to not rebuild?
What was the root cause of the cam and lifter failure?
What type of Damage Analysis was completed on the remaining engine components, due to this failure?

JEEP needs to make this right!!!! From what I can tell.....They do not meet ASE or AERA standards of service.

OP
OP
uralist

uralist

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR - Sarge Green
and Jeep dealers are so surprised that folks choose NOT to to utilize their services.

What is their reasoning to not rebuild?
What was the root cause of the cam and lifter failure?
What type of Damage Analysis was completed on the remaining engine components, due to this failure?

JEEP needs to make this right!!!! From what I can tell.....They do not meet ASE or AERA standards of service.
I spoke with the service manager at Kings Jeep this morning. He seemed amused when I mentioned a rebuild or a new engine. He said ā€œwe can only replace the components that are badā€.

As for root cause, he said THIS time heā€™d ask the tech to ā€œlook aroundā€ in the engine to see if he saw something that could be causing these repeating failures. Not great that it took a call to the service manager to get the idea of root cause analysis on to their radar.

Damage analysis: The tech ā€œchecked the oil and didnā€™t see any shavingsā€ā€¦. Thatā€™s it. I also confirmed that the didnā€™t change the oil as part of the initial repair.

hopefully this thread gets enough attention that Jeep makes this right. I really want to love my jeep, and Iā€™m not trying to get something for nothing here, I just donā€™t want to have to deal with regularly scheduled camshaft failures

OP
OP
uralist

uralist

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR - Sarge Green
Theyā€™re doing a very poor job. You will undoubtedly have a third failure.
Third times a charm with Ohio Lemon laws. I would much rather have Jeep make this right without the hassle of the law, and I hope theyā€™d rather swap in a new engine over being forced to buy the jeep back from me.

An update: the dealer told me to pick up the jeep and drive it normally (and noisily) for a few weeks while they wait for the cam shafts, rockers, and lifters to arrive. A jeep care rep told me today to return it to the shop ASAP and rent a car to prevent causing potential further damage, and that once this is resolved my rental costs would be reimbursed by jeep. Iā€™m cautious to take that leap of faith without an arrangement in writing, tho
Sponsored