3 bad cams/lifters in 11k m?

uralist

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR - Sarge Green
First oil change at 3k. Around 5k miles my 2dr JL 3.6 manual developed a loud tick in the engine. Dealer inspected and replaced a camshaft and associated lifers on the left bank of the engine. I mentioned concerns about metal shavings in the oil from the damaged parts, but he told me not to worry about it. Immediately had the oil changed again.

Another oil change at 8k.

Now at 11k miles the tick is back. Took into the dealer this morning and the said BOTH banks have damaged cams and lifters, including the set that was replaced just 6k miles ago. Service Advisor said they ordered parts to replace them again.

What could possibly be causing this engine to eat 3 cams in 11k miles? Can I ever trust this (particular) engine?
Sponsored

Last edited:

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Trade in immediately after repairs! Apparently the cause wasn’t addressed with first repair, so they are doing essentially the same repair again— expect a different result? Too big a gamble!

OP
OP
uralist

uralist

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR - Sarge Green
Trade in immediately after repairs! Apparently the cause wasn’t addressed with first repair, so they are doing essentially the same repair again— expect a different result? Too big a gamble!

Good suggestion, but I don’t know if my karma can take the hit of passing the problem on to a an unsuspecting buyer. Is the factory warranty transferable? Technically Ohio lemon law requires 3 failures (2 if a serious safety concern). I wonder if they count failures by the cam or by the incident?

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
It sounds like the needed oil, is not flowing to them. Some obstruction in the block. The Dealer is just replacing parts, but not finding the cause of the failures.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Good suggestion, but I don’t know if my karma can take the hit of passing the problem on to a an unsuspecting buyer. Is the factory warranty transferable? Technically Ohio lemon law requires 3 failures (2 if a serious safety concern). I wonder if they count failures by the cam or by the incident?
That’s why trade in not sell outright, make it the dealer who doesn’t do the work to find the issue causing the failures problem. If they don’t report that they found the cause this repair they didn’t take the time to find it and deserve the problem due their incompetence. Edit- I am unfamiliar with lemon laws ( have heard horror stories) . Are you prepared for a possible long drawn out fight during which your Jeep may not be drivable and you may lose. Again- too big a gamble, don’t make it your continuing problem.Trade In Immediately if not completely satisfied that the underlying cause has been found and repaired!!

Last edited:

SouthValleyPerformance

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022? Rubicon
First oil change at 3k. Around 5k miles my 2dr JL 3.6 manual developed a loud tick in the engine. Dealer inspected and replaced a camshaft and associated lifers on the left bank of the engine. I mentioned concerns about metal shavings in the oil from the damaged parts, but he told me not to worry about it. Immediately had the oil changed again.

Another oil change at 8k.

Now at 11k miles the tick is back. Took into the dealer this morning and the said BOTH banks have damaged cams and lifters, including the set that was replaced just 6k miles ago. Service Advisor said they ordered parts to replace them again.

What could possibly be causing this engine to eat 3 cams in 11k miles? Can I ever trust this (particular) engine?
Pretty sure that’s just what the 3.6 does.

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
Aren’t the 3.6 rockers notorious for having issues. The metal in the oil is a huge problem. You will see the most metal the first couple oil changes on any engine. That’s why I changed the oil within the first 500 miles on all of my engines. Oil is cheap compared to the alternative.

Sponsored

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
I remember about 10 years ago some 3.6 engines had casting sand left in the block.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Sorry to hear that you're having so many issues and the same one, check your states lemon law and consider getting another Jeep and while considering it look at the 2.0. Keep the Jeep wave going.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
You need a new engine.....period.Sorry for your bad luck.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Needs a new engine. The first failure caused the other, by not cleaning out the block properly. It will continue to happen. Eat bet is to let them fix it then drive it until it happens again. Third times the charm, so long as it’s on their dime.
Sponsored