Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I would be very surprised if this was ever offered on a trim other than Rubicon. The option would cost quite a bit more as well. Not only would it add what's listed here but would also have to add front and rear lockers which the Rubicon already has. Plus you would going from a Dana 30 to the HD Dana 44, the Rubicon already starts with a D44. Rubicon sales would drop drastically if you could get all that for $3995 on a Sport or Willys. I think it's a good price point if your end game is 35's and small lift. If you're planning on going bigger then it's a bit iffy.

That's why the Sasquatch package is a steal for the Bronco. $4995 to upgrade to a D44 front end, lockers, gearing, 35's, and small lift. $2495 if you're adding it to a Badlands that already has a D44 and lockers.
They will eventually add PKGā€™s much like this one (minus axle upgrades) to other trims. They didnā€™t build an entire extra facility that costs millions to just offer and develop pkgā€™s for Rubicons only. They want to compete/stay ahead. They wouldnā€™t have to add lockers to anything so thatā€™s irrelevant unless Iā€™m missing something. At the end of the day, theyā€™ll end up offering everything to every trim minus axle upgrades , lockers and the 392 motor. Iā€™m sure they will always stay true to Rubis only having lockers and the beefier axles after all thatā€™s what sets that model apart from the rest of the pack.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Pic of 392 XR from todayā€™s press release.

B575ABDA-0DE6-4F8D-B7F0-1BD57D769D04.png
Huh... I assumed that this was going to be based off of the Rubicon Recon, with the fender/hood decals and red seatbelts.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Certainly not "horror stories" when it comes to the Mopar carrier. This one guy 3 years ago had a crack with his stock wheel at the carrier.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I found numerous stories of failures after I developed concerns about my reinforced OEM tire carrier working for the 37" BFG. When you were unable to find even one such story I did a thirty second Google search for you and posted an example documenting the failure of the OEM mount while carrying only the factory tire and wheel combination. Apparently, you've determined that example isn't valid or relevant. So be it. I'm not trying to persuade you or anybody else -- which is why this conversation doesn't merit further searching (for me). As I've tried to explain, I've already made my decision and I'm happy with the upgrade to a heavier carrier. If you want a lighter carrier, or you believe the OEM carrier is the best part for the job, that's great! Power to ya! I'm fine with everybody else buying the MOPAR carrier, or anything else. Each to his own! :like::LOL:

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I love my '18 JLUR with 315s but.....when this package comes out and I'm feeling frisky about getting another Rubi n the color I should have gotten in the first place (Punk'N or Nacho if still available)....take my money! IMO it's a bargain and stock from the factory with the OEM warranty.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Sorry I wasn't clear. I found numerous stories of failures after I developed concerns about my reinforced OEM tire carrier working for the 37" BFG. When you were unable to find even one such story I did a thirty second Google search for you and posted an example documenting the failure of the OEM mount while carrying only the factory tire and wheel combination. Apparently, you've determined that example isn't valid or relevant. So be it. I'm not trying to persuade you or anybody else -- which is why this conversation doesn't merit further searching (for me). As I've tried to explain, I've already made my decision and I'm happy with the upgrade to a heavier carrier. If you want a lighter carrier, or you believe the OEM carrier is the best part for the job, that's great! Power to ya! I'm fine with everybody else buying the MOPAR carrier, or anything else. Each to his own! :like::LOL:
The why even mention it?
I searched and cannot find anything. I want to know if I am going to be doomed.

Sponsored

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
Does it make sense to order the Rubicon (V6 and 4.88) Extreme Recon package if I plan on running 37" KM3's on aftermarket wheels?

Hey Buddy,

I'm not sure if any one responded on the thread...too many post for me to get through ;)

But my wife has a 2 door with 4:88's, manual and 37 KM3's - it's a great combination. My 4 door is also re-geared with 4:88's as well (manual and 37's). Thanks to @chevymitchell (he did both Jeep's).

The 2 doors are awesome! Her first Jeep was a '98 TJ!

Good luck with it!

Honu Posser Rock.jpg

RB on DB.jpg

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Itā€™s a great bargain IF that combination is exactly what you want, but if you want to run 37s (like me) and you prefer 9ā€ rims (like me) and youā€™ve read horror stories about the Mopar gate reinforcement (like me) the only value in that package is the 456 gearing.
I think having the choice of 4:56 or 4:88 gears with factory lockers will be the way to go. My jast Rubicon had a non e-torque V-6 automatic and 4:10 gears from the factory and it was a great setup especially with the 35`s.
Now I have a new 392 with 3:73 gears and factory lockers and it was easy to get out of hand with the 33"s on it, I put a set of 315/70/17 BFG KO2`s and it has plenty of get up and go. I can't imagine it with 4:56 or 4:88 gears with 35`s or 37`s, I`m sure it will be able to give you a white knuckle ride or two

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I wonder why this package is limited to the 3.6 V6, and does not include the turbo?

Sounds like the 4.88 great ratio will also not be available on the 2.0 Turbo.
Maybe because of the torque curve of the turbo you donā€™t need the 4.56 gears. I slapped 35s on mine and there was no noticeable difference, however, my friends 3.6 on 35s you could tell the difference.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Hey Buddy,

I'm not sure if any one responded on the thread...too many post for me to get through ;)

But my wife has a 2 door with 4:88's, manual and 37 KM3's - it's a great combination. My 4 door is also re-geared with 4:88's as well (manual and 37's). Thanks to @chevymitchell (he did both Jeep's).

The 2 doors are awesome! Her first Jeep was a '98 TJ!

Good luck with it!

Jeep Wrangler JL $3,995 Xtreme Recon Package For Jeep JL Wrangler Unleashed at 2021 Chicago Auto Show RB on DB

That is one good looking JLR!
Same Bikini color combo as my JLR and I just bought the same Mopar wheels wrapped in BFG KO2 C 37's...Just waiting for new Metalcloak 2.5" springs to arrive to put her back together. After seeing yours, I am even more anxious to get her put back together and out on the trail...With just added 4.88's and soon to be installed Edelbrock Supercharger, she should be a really fun ride :)

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
I think having the choice of 4:56 or 4:88 gears with factory lockers will be the way to go. My jast Rubicon had a non e-torque V-6 automatic and 4:10 gears from the factory and it was a great setup especially with the 35`s.
Now I have a new 392 with 3:73 gears and factory lockers and it was easy to get out of hand with the 33"s on it, I put a set of 315/70/17 BFG KO2`s and it has plenty of get up and go. I can't imagine it with 4:56 or 4:88 gears with 35`s or 37`s, I`m sure it will be able to give you a white knuckle ride or two
My last TJ was an 06 "sport" six-speed with a 3" lift and 33s . When I blew up the OE Dana 35 I replaced the rear axel with a Ford 8.8 and re-geared to 456s, which really helped make up for that anemic motor. The JL's power improvement makes up for a lot, and mine is very drivable with the 4:10s and 37s, but I agree with you. It would be great if Jeep offered 4:56 and 4:88 from the factory. I'm still thinking about the swap to 4:56...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The why even mention it?
I searched and cannot find anything. I want to know if I am going to be doomed.
Like most folks here, I share my experience and my perceptions, and I do it in good faith. People occasionally disagree. Maybe their experience differs? Regardless, I don't feel obliged to duplicate the hours of research I initially did to persuade those who disagree.

I canā€™t answer why you're not able to find any examples like the one I found instantly and linked for you. (There were a couple others that popped up on the same search, including a goofy video made by a guy who complained about his carrier breaking due to rust. That didnā€™t seem helpful, as any steel component can rust.) Maybe try googling a mix of different search terms? Maybe try "Wrangler OEM tire carrier failure" or some similar combination. I think I used something similar when I helped you out this morning.

I wish you the best in your research and purchase, whatever you decide to buy. There are some awesome bumper-carrier combinations out there if youā€™re not sold on the OEM carrier as the best option..

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does it make sense to order the Rubicon (V6 and 4.88) Extreme Recon package if I plan on running 37" KM3's on aftermarket wheels?
I donā€™t think so. Unless something else has changed since my 2019, youā€™ll need more lift to clear your 37s when theyā€™re fully stuffed.

Instead, you could apply the money to get the wheels and tires you want and then apply the balance toward the lift. That leaves you having to come up with a little money to complete the lift if you want it professionally installed. Depending on your application and preferences, you may enjoy driving the 37s with the stock 4:10 gearing. My brother has 2019 JLRU 4 cyl and I have the 6. Weā€™ve both driven our Jeepā€™s with 37s and the stock 4:10 gearing for more than a year. Both engines have the power to make the 37s work fine with existing gearing. In fact my 2019 pulls and climbs much better as it is, than my TJ did on 33s with 456 gearing. (I still want to upgrade to 456s or 488s eventually, but it runs trails great as it is.)

BamaTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2015 Rubicon 2-dr
I donā€™t think so. Unless something else has changed since my 2019, youā€™ll need more lift to clear your 37s when theyā€™re fully stuffed.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't phrase my original question very well, but that is exactly what my main concern is.....can I run 37 X 12.50 BFGs on 4.5" backspaced wheels with the Extreme Recon Package without making a lot of other changes.

By other changes I mean replacing the OEM 1.5" lift/shocks with something else. I don't mind adding bump stops, but I don't want to spend $4k on the Extreme Recon Pkg then have to buy an aftermarket lift/shocks/driveshafts/etc. I know I will have to buy 4 wheels and tires.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Thanks for the reply. I didn't phrase my original question very well, but that is exactly what my main concern is.....can I run 37 X 12.50 BFGs on 4.5" backspaced wheels with the Extreme Recon Package without making a lot of other changes.

By other changes I mean replacing the OEM 1.5" lift/shocks with something else. I don't mind adding bump stops, but I don't want to spend $4k on the Extreme Recon Pkg then have to buy an aftermarket lift/shocks/driveshafts/etc. I know I will have to buy 4 wheels and tires.

Itā€™s possible with gutting the inner liners on an additional 1.5ā€ of lift, IMO as BFGs run a tad on the smaller side compared to say a Nitto. But you still may rub at full flex. Iā€™m betting weā€™ll see a pretty inexpensive spacer/bump stop kit and youā€™ll be good to go. My $0.02. It depends on your use case.

Itā€™s sorta the route Iā€™m planning on taking right now with the 392 xtreme I ordered. I too want to keep as much of the stock suspension as possible. For now anyway.
Sponsored