3.6L with 6 speed MT has uneven power band

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
LOVE my 3.6 with the manual and my Pedal Commander!
Sponsored

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
The new JL clutch is a twin disc dual mass flywheel design. Poor choice and design by Jeep engineers. I worked with Centerforce to prototype and develop an upgrade as I’m adding a supercharger and I wanted to make sure I had a clutch that would hold the additional power. The new clutch is a single disc design with a heavier flywheel, the additional weight and the fact that it’s Not a dual mass flywheel allows the power to be applied smoothly due to improved inertia. Since installing the new clutch it’s eliminated the flat spots in the power band, has greatly improved clutch feel, a huge improvement in traffic and city driving and much improved crawling. It has made it so much nicer to drive.
To address a few other concerns, it’s still gutless below 2500 rpm, and with 35 or 37” tires 6th gear is still useless. I will be installing and regearing as well as installing the supercharger in the very near future.
Is the clutch part available now or still in R&D?

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
Is the clutch part available now or still in R&D?
It’s been available since November, I have almost 3000 miles on it. Really enjoying it.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
It’s been available since November, I have almost 3000 miles on it. Really enjoying it.
I think I would really enjoy the new clutch too if Centerforce ever wants to relocate their operation near you and move to TN and put a prototype in my jeep.:handsinair:

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I agree there's not much torque down low but that doesn't address the uneven power delivery. I feel that too and am pretty sure it's "normal" unfortunately. I think it's the variable valve timing / intake adjusting for changes in loads throughout the powerband. It seems like it "steps" its changes and does so in a delayed fashion which leads to the weird inconsistent power delivery.
The “step” might be going from the low lift to high lift cam. I think there are 4 plugs to undo and the engine will default to just running on the high lift cam. I thought it would be interesting to try but I wasn’t willing to be the guinea pig. I’m sure codes will be thrown so I knew it wouldn’t be a permanent fix (doubt a Cali legal tune could address it). Check out page 7 for locations to unplug in case someone wants to try for me :devil: https://www.dealers-mopar.com/download/playbook/master-tech-nov-2015-update-718.pdf

It took me a while to get used to the 6MT but now it is glorious :) . I still think there is a throttle sensitivity or low rpm tuning issue, but I only notice it when creeping slightly above idle in first and too lazy to work the clutch.

Last edited:

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
The “step” might be going from the low lift to high lift cam. I think there are 4 plugs to undo and the engine will default to just running on the high lift cam. I thought it would be interesting to try but I wasn’t willing to be the guinea pig. I’m sure codes will be thrown so I knew it wouldn’t be a permanent fix (doubt a Cali legal tune could address it). Check out page 7 for locations to unplug in case someone wants to try for me :devil: https://www.dealers-mopar.com/download/playbook/master-tech-nov-2015-update-718.pdf

It took me a while to get used to the 6MT but now it is glorious :) . I still think there is a throttle sensitivity or low rpm tuning issue, but I only notice it when creeping slightly above idle in first and too lazy to work the clutch.
Very interesting! I wonder how the high lift cam performs down lown. I also love the 6MT!

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
Wanted to ask in the manual thread. I have a loud whine when doing about 70-75 in 5th and letting off the gas. Applying gas again the whine goes away. Sounds appears to be coming from transmission or that area. Originally that it was the rear end.

Anyone else have this?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Wanted to ask in the manual thread. I have a loud whine when doing about 70-75 in 5th and letting off the gas. Applying gas again the whine goes away. Sounds appears to be coming from transmission or that area. Originally that it was the rear end.

Anyone else have this?
No. Not normal. Take it in,
Sponsored