Sponsored

3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both??

tjsooley

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
had a 97 4.0 back in the day. Just getting back into jeep. Custom ordered a Sport s (Not a hard core off roader and did not want a hard top.
Got the 3.6 with a manual.
Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
As a general rule of thumb, NA engines lose ~3% per 1,000’ of elevation above sea level. FI engines are approximately half that. At 10,000 feet the v6 will be down about 30% where the 2.0t will only be down about 15%. In 4 lo crawling, the difference is negligible. Pulling a steep mountain grade while maintaining 60mph, or trying to pass that rv that’s been creeping up the mountain it’s night and day.
Thanks, Zach...very helpful. As you mentioned, this can't be measured exactly, as other environmental variables come into play, especially density altitude and temperature. However, this is good enough for my non-scientific purposes. Much appreciated!

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I test drove both and prefer the 3.6etorque over the 2.0 turbo. I had gone in wanting to like the 2.0T (2 of my other cars have turbo's) 3.6 sounded better and seem more refined, 2.0t was louder, it had a little more mid range torque but not enough to change my mind. They felt about the same at WOT to me. (I am near sea level) I am sure a tuned 2.0T would be a noticeably faster then the 3.6.
I am mechanically inclined so the V6 simplicity vs turbo 4 did not play into my decision.

My suggestion is test drive both. If your looking to save money test drive the 2.0T 1st and see if you like it, I probably would have been fine with the turbo 4 if only test drove the 2.0T.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I owned the 3.6 for 3 years, and the 2.0 for little over 1 week. Loved both. Power wise the 2.0 may be a little peppier to 40? But 60-80 the 3.6 a bit more so. It's very close. I actually like the whining sound of the 2.0, sounds kindof mechanical industrial, fits the Jeep.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I actually like the whining sound of the 2.0, sounds kindof mechanical industrial, fits the Jeep.
Agreed. The 3.6 is definitely the smoother engine... but it's a Jeep so it doesn't bother me that the 2.0's DI makes it sound kind of like a tractor.

Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I have both. 2019 JLU 3.6 and 2021 JLUR 2.0. Both are 8 speed and neither has e torque. Both perform well, I especially like the 8 speed. I live at 7000 ft and it feels like the 2.0 accelerates a bit quicker, especially at highway speeds and going up hill. Its amazing how quick it can get around an 18 wheeler on the interstate. I've driven both over 11000 ft elevation and the 2.0 just feels peppier. On long trips the 3.6 has performed well, haven't taken a long trip with the 2.0 yet. The 2.0 is still new, less than 1000 miles, but they're both getting about the same mileage. So far all I've run in the 2.0 is 86 octane. There is a slight turbo lag on the 2.0, but it's not bad and I'm used to it already. I don't notice much difference in noise level, they just sound different. Test drive both and buy the the one you like best!

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Are you guys still replying to the OP? He posted that 7 months ago. :)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
FWIW: I haven't ever noticed any significant turbo lag in the 2.0, however the boost threshold is somewhat high. There is a difference, but I'll let someone else describe it. From https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/turbo-lag-vs-boost-threshold

Turbo Lag Example
Say that you’re merging onto a highway, accelerating from 40 mph to 65 mph. With the car in 4th gear, you put your foot down to begin speeding up. There will be a slight lag period before the engine truly delivers its power. It’s hardly noticeable in most modern engines, especially one with a turbocharger as small as the ST’s. But during this turbo lag period when the turbocharger is beginning to spin-up, your engine will essentially behave as if it’s naturally-aspirated. In short, you won’t have the full amount of power.​
It’s hard to say how long turbo lag generally lasts; it varies heavily from car to car. But on the Focus ST, let’s say it’s around the neighborhood of 0.75 seconds (based on my internal, gut-based readout). You hardly notice it.​
After the turbocharger begins to spool, it delivers even more power as the spin rate increases. Maximum power delivery is reached when you hit the boost limit of your car (or, when you ease off the accelerator).​
Boost Threshold Example
If you’re driving at about 5 mph in second gear, your tachometer might have you right around 1,000 RPM. If you punch the accelerator, you won’t get boost until you reach the boost threshold RPM level. At that point, the turbo will spin enough to push air into the engine.​
For the Focus ST, the boost threshold is around 1,500 RPM for most gears. However, for first gear it’s around 3,000 RPM and in second gear it’s in the neighborhood of 2,000 RPM. This isn’t the result of a mechanical function, but rather, an electronic decision controlled by the car’s computer.​
Ford most likely limits boost in the lower gears to avoid/mitigate wheel spin. If you want to “unlock” some more of this power down in the lower gears, an aftermarket electronic tune will let you easily customize the way you want power delivered.​
The low boost threshold that the Focus ST has in most gears means that it’s rarely a factor in highway passing (although it can be somewhat annoying when accelerating from a stop). In terms of turbo lag, the small size of the turbo means that there’s very little of it. Engineering has improved over the years, and most modern turbo cars have very minimal amounts of turbo lag.​

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Ive wheeled at 8,000~9000 ft with my V6 and didnt notice much difference to be honest. Plenty of torque to wheel. I cant speak for over 10K though.

I had a 2.0 before my V6 and I did not notice any different offroad. It definitely had more of an initial oomph on the road (the 2.0).

Again, any difference was negligible. Yeah a bit more torque on the 2.0. It is a slightly better engine than the V6 performance wise, no questions about that. the V6 feels more refined, predictable. But not enough to make a significant difference in my opinion.

Both are a proper power platform for the JL. I wish the turbo was a little bigger to make a more significant difference. I would have pick the turbo if it had a significant increase in performance.

The 4xe is a beast. Thats where the torque is. And Diesel.
I too have had both and as I said way earlier in this thread, passing uphill in the Tahoe region (6000ft+) the 2.0t walks away from the Pentastar V6. I truly enjoy them both for different reasons. I agree with @entropy that the V6 does feel a bit more predictable and refined.

One of our producers still drives a V6 Rubicon and lives in the Tahoe basin most of the year. We haven't had one problem with the 2018 JLU with the V6 or the 2019 with the 2.0t except that we don't drive the 2.0t enough so the "mild hybrid" batteries don't charge. We started putting it on a trickle charger. We are thinking seriously about a 4xe to replace it since we have chargers in the parking spots. Jeep are you reading this??
Good point on the 4xe and bringing that into the equation. I have the JLUR V6 and was reading this thread to get some folks perspective on the 2.0 as I've been thinking of making a switch to the hybrid.

If anyone is currently thinking of buying a jeep and is going the 2.0 route, I'm really not sure why they wouldn't get the hybrid - with that $7,500 tax credit?

I'm digging the ability to run on just electric for 20 or so miles with the hybrid, but it's mainly about the torque and HP for me. Would love just a little bit more Then my mind starts wondering off to the 392 which I would really love ....

My real beef is that I said my next one would be a 2 door - which rules out the Hybrid and the 392 - grrrr!

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Hi all,
I am new to the JL fam. I currently am a loud and proud owner of a 2005 TJ with the 4 liter straight 6, but recently have been having issues with it (body rust as I live on the East Coast) and have ultimately decided to put it up for sale and purchase a newer Jeep. I will be outright buying this "new" Jeep, so I can only afford a 2018 or 2019, not a brand new 2020 or 2021. I know that I for sure want a Rubicon. The thing that I am stuck on is which engine to get. I have been hearing great things about the new turbo, but I really don't know what to do.

My question is: Should I get one with a 3.6L or the 2.0 Turbo? What are the pros and cons to both? My primary concern is longevity, I want to keep this Jeep for a long time and have the least possible issues with it. Which engine would be in closest comparison (I know neither one is the same at all) to the 4.0 in the TJ's?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!!
I’m no mechanic, but I went with the 3.6 manual over the 2.0 turbo. Test drove both. The 2.0 had more pep, no question. It also has more torque, I think. But I thought a V6 had a better chance at durability over a “new” 2.0 liter turbo.” I may not beat anyone off the line. But I plan on keeping my JLU for a long time. And I felt like the V6 was a better option...for me.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I’m no mechanic, but I went with the 3.6 manual over the 2.0 turbo. Test drove both. The 2.0 had more pep, no question. It also has more torque, I think. But I thought a V6 had a better chance at durability over a “new” 2.0 liter turbo.” I may not beat anyone off the line. But I plan on keeping my JLU for a long time. And I felt like the V6 was a better option...for me.
Make sure you get that clutch fixed, or there might not be any Jeep left to keep for a long time.
Sponsored