Sponsored

3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both??

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I've be wrecking my brain reading and trying to figure out what grade of gas to use in my 2021 JLUR 2.0T when it finally comes in the next month or two so been reading all these gas related posts.

So what would you think about 89 octane gas? Is that really better than 87? Or does that still not really avoid the problems? It would seem to me the knock sensors and adjustments would probably still have come into play at some degree with 89 octane gas so not sure it really accomplishes much using 89. But I'm just guessing and have no idea. On the other hand, part of me thinks the likelihood of 89 gas knocking is probably less than 87 gas knocking....so IDK lol.

Just trying to narrow my choices as I'm trying to decide what I want to run. I know I could get away with 87 and many are using it....But there has to be a reason why the manual recommends 91 for optimal performance. And why the manual a couple years ago suggested 91 before it was revised.

The gas choices in my area are going to be 87, 89 or 93. Currently, 87 is $2.25;g, 89 is $2.45 and 93 is $2.70 so that's what I'm dealing with.

I'm looking forward to this vehicle and wanting to keep it for awhile...at least 5-6 years and 75-100K miles or so. So want to treat it right from the start. But also don't want to throw away money if I don't have to.
Run what the manual recommends, period. I don't know why there is so much discussion about it. You're talking a couple bucks per fill up. If money is that tight, you shouldn't be buying a new Jeep. To me it's very cut and dry.
Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I probably shouldn't be commenting since I don't even have my Jeep yet lol.

I ordered a 2.0T in my JLUR order a few weeks ago after driving both the 2.0 and 3.6 and just thinking the 2.0 felt great and didn't want to pay $1,500 more for the V6. At that time I really had no other knowledge and hadn't been reading the forums like crazy.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would've just ordered the 3.6 to avoid the debate over what kind of fuel to use and the whole should I or shouldn't I use premium gas in the 2.0T. I'll end up spending that $1,500 that I saved by getting the 2.0T on premium gas eventually anyways. I'm annoyed with myself for not knowing that before but never had a turbocharged engine before.

At the end of the day, it'll probably all come out close from a financial perspective so probably not a big deal either way. But if I could redo my order right now, I'd probably change my order to the 3.6.

But I'm sure I'll enjoy the 2.0 too. I guess the point is that there's probably no financial savings with one engine over the other in the scheme of things unless you are able to get comfortable running 87 gas (which I'm not convinced of yet) so don't let that be your deciding factor like I did.

Read over practically this entire thread

Still don't know which engine to get

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
But I'm sure I'll enjoy the 2.0 too. I guess the point is that there's probably no financial savings with one engine over the other in the scheme of things unless you are able to get comfortable running 87 gas (which I'm not convinced of yet) so don't let that be your deciding factor like I did.
I have the 2.0 and have driven the 3.6. I'm also in Colorado at 6,000 feet elevation (and go up to 12,000 on occasion) so I've always preferred turbos if available. Assuming it's reliable, I don't think you can go wrong with the 2.0, it's quite fun to drive.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Read over practically this entire thread

Still don't know which engine to get
Drive them both and pick which you like best. Some like the extra low-end power of the turbo I4 and don't mind the lag. Some prefer the rev-happy nature and sound of the 3.6L. And some are so hell-bent on using a clutch pedal that the choice is made for us (like me).

Any assertions that one is more or less reliable than the other is speculation at this point (not enough in-service history) and the running costs are comparable enough to not really be a big factor. Both will move your Jeep just find and both will probably be reliable over the usual ownership timeline (3-6 years) so unreliability issues are someone else's problem.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm wondering why it's being suggested that the V6 compels a $1,500.00 premium, vis-a-vis choosing it over the I4. Jeep's Build & Price page proves this isn't automatically so.

The 3.6L engine choice has no separate upcharge when coupling it with the manual transmission, and bypassing eTorque. The 2.0L requires the 850RE automatic, though, which does increase the bill by $1,500.00.

A $1,500.00 price bump will be incurred by the V6 buyer only if he voluntarily configures his JL build in a certain manner (and perhaps he should disclose his build config. in those posts that claim a $1.5K engine selection cost.) Yes?

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Run what the manual recommends, period. I don't know why there is so much discussion about it. You're talking a couple bucks per fill up. If money is that tight, you shouldn't be buying a new Jeep. To me it's very cut and dry.
But it's not cut and dry. It depends where you drive it and how. The manual says the engine is designed to run on 87 octane. It goes on to say that there will be a benefit in performance when using 91 octane in hot conditions or when towing. Putting 91 octane if you drive in winter at 5,000 ft above sea level is a waste of money. Has nothing to do with money being tight.

You brought up Mazda. Their 2.5T has the same torque figure on both 87 and 93 octane and about a 10% boost in peak hp on 93. The fact that they advertise both hp figures and can recommend both gasolines goes to show you can use both safely. If 10% peak hp is important use 93. I am guessing 95% of those owners don't bother. In a sports car, sure, in these type of SUVs I doubt it.

Finally I couldn't find anything on the wrangler, but C&D did do a premium and regular comparison on a variety of cars. They found that there really is little to no difference when switching to premium in mainstream turbo cars in normal driving. One case where there was a bigger difference was the Raptor high performance engine in the F-150, which is to be expected for a specialty engine.

should-you-be-buying-premium-comparison-1564776519.jpg

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
We own a 2020 2 door with turbo and 2019 4 dr V-6.
I like the turbo for passing and take offs it is really fun.
For off roading in 4 low I prefer the V-6.
I would go Turbo

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Quote: I agree wth you. This summer I spent a week on the Alpine Loop trails around Silverton, CO, often over 11,000 feet and had no noticeable power loss with my 3.6L JL. I had read many threads about the turbo and high elevations, but it didn't seem to be an issue.

People talk about power loss at altitude. These motors are fuel injected at pressure. Power loss at altitude was a much larger issue with carbs, and the PCM compensates a/f. I've had my jeep from 6k to over 12k ft and it responds the same. The altitude argument is bogus.
The altitude loss has little to do with carbs or fuel injection. The air density at 10,000 feet is less than it is as sea level - fuel injection can't change that. There is less oxygen in the air - period. Ambient air pressure at sea level is about 14.7 PSI, at 10,000 feet it drops to around 10 PSI. That's why turbos don't lose as much power at altitude as they can make up that air density deficit.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
But it's not cut and dry. It depends where you drive it and how. The manual says the engine is designed to run on 87 octane. It goes on to say that there will be a benefit in performance when using 91 octane in hot conditions or when towing.
... Well then there you have it, though. It is cut and dry. 87 octane unless in hot conditions or towing. Just follow the manual.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I believe the OP was from NY. Not a lot of super hot days there. Unless he’s towing something fairly heavy or seeing a problem, just run 87. Most places I’m seeing $.50/gallon price difference of premium vs regular. That’s $10/tank. If you burn a tank a month no big deal, if you burn a tank or two a week.... You money, spend it where you want. My Jeep is under warranty for $150 k miles. I’ll be burning regular until I find a legitimate reason not to. YMMV

Rs4rocks

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4m40i
Couldn’t agree more. I have a 2020 Rubicon and the manual states 87. No problems.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
So, I'm just an unfrozen caveman, but what I do know from unfrozen caveman science is that a higher compression engine requires higher octane to prevent pre-ignition. Pre-ignition occurs because the gasoline will ignite easier at higher pressure (for a given amount of oxygen). The 3.6 is a fairly high compression engine in the Jeep. When the similar engine was used in the Pacifica, the compression ration was 10.2-1, In the Jeep it's 11.3-1. If you aren't getting any pinging, it probably wont hurt your engine or anything, but where the ignition happens (in the cylinders cycle through to full compression) will affect power. I buy the highest octane I can easily find around here: 91. I'm at altitude so it's about equivelent to 93 at lower altitudes. I'll save that for another unfrozen caveman science lesson. ;)

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
So, I'm just an unfrozen caveman, but what I do know from unfrozen caveman science is that a higher compression engine requires higher octane to prevent pre-ignition. Pre-ignition occurs because the gasoline will ignite easier at higher pressure (for a given amount of oxygen). The 3.6 is a fairly high compression engine in the Jeep. When the similar engine was used in the Pacifica, the compression ration was 10.2-1, In the Jeep it's 11.3-1. If you aren't getting any pinging, it probably wont hurt your engine or anything, but where the ignition happens (in the cylinders cycle through to full compression) will affect power. I buy the highest octane I can easily find around here: 91. I'm at altitude so it's about equivelent to 93 at lower altitudes. I'll save that for another unfrozen caveman science lesson. ;)

11.3-1 is pretty low compression these days.

Take a look at basic Mazda 3 engine specs. Their naturally aspirated engines are 13.0-1 and they recommend regular gasoline.

How high of an altitude are you at btw?

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
11.3-1 is pretty low compression these days.

Take a look at basic Mazda 3 engine specs. Their naturally aspirated engines are 13.0-1 and they recommend regular gasoline.

How high of an altitude are you at btw?
Keep in mind, that Mazda engine is a direct injection system which can run higher compression ratios as compared to the "old" traditional multiport injection that our Pentastar is based on. 11.3 is pretty high for standard multiport injection. This is why guys like Livernois can extract so much more power using 93 octane - they can get a lot more advanced timing using the high octane fuel on a high compression engine like this.
Sponsored