Sponsored

3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both??

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I placed an order a couple weeks ago and the 2 things I think I went back and forth on most were the top (black vs color matched) and the motor (2.0 versus 3.6). I went in thinking I was going to for sure want the 3.6 and that a 4 cylinder motor was going to be too wimpy for a vehicle like this.

I drove 2 different vehicles....one with the 2.0 and one with the 3.6. I had a tough time really noticing much difference. I figured the 3.6 would get up and go quicker, but didn't really feel like that was the case when I drove them. Frankly, kinda felt like the 2.0 was getting up to speed quicker and was more responsive. I did notice the 3.6 "sounded" a little better but I didn't really feel much performance difference.

I think part of it ultimately depends on your needs. I'm not looking to go off-road much at all. I'm not looking to tow stuff ever. And I'm not looking to ever go crazy with big lifts and 37 inch tires as the Jeep then wouldn't get in my garage. I'm mostly just going to be a road driver that wants to enjoy the summer weather with the top off and also have something good for snow in the winter.

So I decided to just save the $1,500 and get the 2.0 on my order and that would suffice fine for my needs. Well, actually, I didn't save the money as I just upgraded to the LED lighting instead lol as I felt that would be more useful to me and just dug the way it looked. But it was definitely one or the other as I was already over what I really wanted my budget to be.

Frankly, I guess I felt like both were good choices and since I liked them both, just went with the cheaper option.

Was the same way I decided on the top lol. I loved both the black and color matched for different reasons so just decided to save the money and get the black.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
The 2.0 is the ideal engine for 37's. My average fuel mileage in Trip 2, which I reset when I installed the 37s, 6,200ish miles ago is 18.2 mpg. It doesn't feel like it has 37's on it at all.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I keep seeing folks claims ā€œthe 2.0 takes premium fuelā€. Folks, that just isnā€™t so. Read the manual- the engine is designed to run on regular fuel and premium is recommended for peak performance. My ā€˜20 now has 2k miles on it has never seen a drop of anything other than 87 octane, has no knock or other issues, runs great and will break the tires loose leaving a light anytime you wish and gets great mileage. Iā€™ve never seen a need or had adesire for ā€œmore performanceā€ than itā€™s delivering right now. Itā€™s a Jeep, not a sports car. If you wanna run premium thatā€™s your call and thatā€™s fine, but it is absolutely NOT ā€œrequiredā€

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Admittedly, when the 2.0T launched, FCA said it required premium gasoline.

Sometime in 2019, likely after customers complained about having to use premium gas on a Jeep Wrangler of all things, FCA stopped making premium gas a requirement.

But it looks like it stuck.

Goes to show the power of first impressions...

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Premium is worth the extra couple bucks per fill up. I have no idea why people don't just do that. If a couple hundred dollars a year is going to break you, then why did you buy a Jeep? LMAO!

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Premium is worth the extra couple bucks per fill up. I have no idea why people don't just do that. If a couple hundred dollars a year is going to break you, then why did you buy a Jeep? LMAO!
This is faulty reasoning. :stop:

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
For my 2.0 I feel no performance difference premium vs regular at 6k elevation during the colder months. During the warmer months I feel the premium fuel performs is best.

wellmane450

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
I bought my 2018 JL used. It has the 2.0T. Its crazy bc I was looking and trying to buy a 3.6. Wouldn't even look at 2.0t Jeeps. I wanted the V6 for all the reasons this thread has listed; simpler, more reliable, no hybrid system, no additional coolant hoses, 1st year for 2.0t, etc.

Then... I stumbled upon a great deal on a 2.0T. I was very very hesitant, but took the plunge. Now I have 46k miles on the 2.0T and couldn't be more pleased. It has performed flawlessly, has plenty of power, gets decent mpg. I usually run 87 unless I know I'll be off-roading or towing. Now when I look at buying a new jeep, I don't look at the V6s.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Yup and it makes a difference when you decide to spend the big upcharge (just noticed spell check changes this to uncharge) for a Turbo or not. Here is an article on the Jiffy Lube website.

https://www.jiffylubesocal.com/jiffy-lube-blog/2015/09/the-effects-of-altitude-on-your-vehicle/

They get the 3% right for loss of pressure, but what they miss is negative pressure loss effects a normally aspirated engine at a greater rate because it is trying to suck air through a pipe that doesn't grow as the air expands. Additionally the level of oxygen drops making combustion less efficient. At 11:1 compression motor is suddenly a 9:1 or 8:1.

The effects of altitude are compounding effects all working against your engine. There is a greater loss of power just making power. A turbo or super charger gives it a fighting chance.

Another show took a normally aspirated (non-turbo) Jeep to 10,000 feet and it wouldn't even run unless it was on piped in Oxygen from a tank.

I don't just host CoolToys TV, I fly jets too.

S
I think I saw the show you're referencing, I don't understand how this was possible, are we talking 10k AGL or MSL ( I to am an aviator). I play above 10k MSL on most of my excursions here in CO. heck, at my house I am at 6400 ft. My 3.6 doesn't have any feel of a loss of power. I understand the concept of a turbo and contemplated the 2.0T for Alt. reasons but opted out just because of the "new" to jeep engine and longevity issues with turbos in general.

NOTE: this isn't argument I just don't get how it caused that much of an issue.

Sponsored

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Our JL has a 2.0. Over 12,000 miles and a year old. We are at 23.8 mpg with 33". The Mojave has a 3.6. The 2.0 shifts smoother, is faster, I know a different vehicle, and just a smoother running engine. Been very happy with the 2.0.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
May be the wrong person to add opinion to this thread because i change vehicles often so longevity is not a selling point for me. I have >30k in on my 3.6 rubi went and test drove a 2.0 turbo rubi a few weeks ago to check out the power soft top roof thing. The 3.6 is smooth gets surprisingly good mpg for what the vehicle is. However, the 2.0 prob gets similar good mpg for a Wrangler - anyway the 2.0 idk how long it will last but it was a lot more fun to drive vs. my 3.6. It was considerably more jumpy off the light and torque-e-er all around on the lower ends. Basically it was just more fun to drive. And i know a Wrangler isnā€™t supposed to be sporty, etc. etc. etc. and they arenā€™t in general. Go test drive both the 2.0 might last longer or less longer but was more fun as a daily driver imo

gcdaz

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I think I saw the show you're referencing, I don't understand how this was possible, are we talking 10k AGL or MSL ( I to am an aviator). I play above 10k MSL on most of my excursions here in CO. heck, at my house I am at 6400 ft. My 3.6 doesn't have any feel of a loss of power. I understand the concept of a turbo and contemplated the 2.0T for Alt. reasons but opted out just because of the "new" to jeep engine and longevity issues with turbos in general.

NOTE: this isn't argument I just don't get how it caused that much of an issue.
I agree wth you. This summer I spent a week on the Alpine Loop trails around Silverton, CO, often over 11,000 feet and had no noticeable power loss with my 3.6L JL. I had read many threads about the turbo and high elevations, but it didn't seem to be an issue.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
When I see someone voicing an opinion on a subject like this or most any other Jeep topic and it's prefaced by "I feel".....I'm out.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
When I see someone voicing an opinion on a subject like this or most any other Jeep topic and it's prefaced by "I feel".....I'm out.
:clap:

Edit to add:
When it comes to anything of a mechanic nature, I agree. One can feel and think anything about a bumper, but it too often leads to misinformation on more technical topics.
Sponsored