Sponsored

3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both??

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
You are really showing your ignorance as it concerns the mechanics of how an engine works. Please stop now.
We’re just getting started. Show me
Sponsored

OP
OP

JEB-A-RONI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Interesting thread - first post so gonna make it a long one. If you don't wanna read, TLDR: The 2.0 is a great engine; buy with confidence. That doesn't mean the 3.6 sucks, either, but one eventually has to move forward....and this is coming from a recovering dye in the wool 4.0 I6 user.

Right now I own a 2020 JLUR with the 2.0T/8speed auto, and a 2003 TJ rubi with the 4.0 and a stick. Previous Jeeps include an XJ, Two Sport TJs, and an LJ rubi I sold to buy the JL at 220k miles. Never personally owned a 3.6 or a 3.8, but in the time I had my TJ/LJ's most of my jeep friends did own these models, and I had the opportunity to drive them countless times on various outings/borrowing them to move something bigger than would fit in my TJ.

I form my opinions based on these previous Jeeps and 10 years experience working as a flat rate tech before leaving the industry. My Jeep ownership experience is also based on exploring/camping uses, not rock crawling or ORV parks. This all said...

What Jeep did with the 2.0 turbo is really great when you think about it. As mentioned before, these engines are sort of in put-put mode below 2k (ish) rpm and go up from there with boost. The around town fuel economy is a very welcome upgrade: when you need it to be very economical it is, and when you get on it you see plenty of power through the rpm ranges *most* of us are in *most* of the time. I'm actually quite impressed with how much power it makes in the 2.5k-3.5k range. For the uses of the wrangler in what I believe it was designed to do (general purpose transport and off road capability), this engine option makes a lot of sense, especially now that it's offered as no extra charge without the mild hybrid and related extra batteries etc, saving both weight and complexity.

It is true, the 3.6 liter has been in wranglers longer and thus benefits from the tried and true bias. Gotta remember, though, the same thing was said when the 4.0 was going away in favor of the 3.8 and later 3.6 gen1 and 2. We said the same thing at Honda when the 2.0 replaced the 1.6. As stated earlier in the thread, a properly designed, factory 4 cylinder turbo really is generally a tried and true engine setup. Unless something really bizarre happens, we should expect longevity out of them similar to other current engines of the same variety, displacement, and design.

Now, there's a caveat no one likes but is true nonetheless. The exception here is the tendency of turbo engine owners of all brands to monkey with mods and tunes they literally do not need, just to see numbers go up on a dyno readout. I cant count how many vehicles we repaired (I was working for Honda at the time but Jeep owners are just as guilty) because of complications stemming from endless engine mods and "tunes" that had no practical purpose - practical being defined as "you actually need this mod to get the task done."

While bragging rights and forum/parking lot discussions on tunes and engine mods etc are cool, the truth darts here are 1) The vast majority of users don't need them, 2) They do, overall, tend to lower engine lifespan compared to bone stock, and 3) the dollars would be better served putting more money into their suspension/brakes if a deficiency was identified in use. Both the 3.6 and the 2.0T make plenty of power to move a JLU w/hardtop anywhere it has any business going with gobs to spare. If you need to tow something massive, the diesel is a great choice.

Engines evolve, and at some point one needs to get on the bus so to speak, thus I went with the 2.0Turbo and I'd do it again. This little engine makes great power in the rpm ranges the majority of people use their wranglers, and boasts great fuel economy when driven conservatively. Again, this doesn't mean the 3.6 "sucks," but there's reasons things change and we should be overall glad of it.
Great post and I totally agree that at some point in time people need to start trying new things. And honestly I have no idea why some people mod out their jeeps JUST to make them go faster. If I wanted something with speed I sure as heck wouldn't have bought a jeep.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Show me asshat. Why does every pro race series use a n/a gas engine? I’m waiting to hear this.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
walked away on a 20 roll to 80 mph LOL.. just give it a rest. you will run out and the 3.6 will kick your fucking ass above 5.5k rpm. It's about powerband and a flat torque curve but that's not all.

camshaft profiles are what makes your powerband.. Unless you have VTEC lol
So the 2.0t is faster 0-60, faster 20-80mph, and faster 0-110 correct? But above 5.5k the 3.6l will kick it’s ass? They are both electronically limited to 112mph, and well bellow 5.5k rpms at that speed. Are you running 1st gear only quarter mile races? Please describe the scenario where the 3.6L wins? I don’t see it.

OP
OP

JEB-A-RONI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Engine was ordered yesterday, however it is on backorder.....of course. Repair estimate is about 30 days. I won't stand for it. I'm working on getting an entirely new vehicle. I haven't even had it long enough to make my first payment. This is absolutely nuts. I already waited a month to have her delivered brand new and now at 600 miles I need a new engine and have to wait another 30 days.....give me a break.
Heck yeah, I would want a new vehicle too. Definitely fight them on that bc that is just not right.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh lord hahaha f1

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey dumbass. Turbos are for flat grounders...and f1 hahah

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Not sure how much trust I would put on C&D numbers. My brother has a 3.6 Rbicon and auto. We lined up just for giggles, and I walked away from him. Plus I beat their 1/4 time in my 2014 GT500 by 1.1 full seconds and 4mph the first time I took it to the strip.
Those numbers are at sea level. I highly doubt theirs are flawed and yours are not. The power difference between the two engines are grossly exaggerated quite often. The 2.0 and 3.6 are neck to neck with a slight edge in the 2.0s more favor. Even more so at elevation.

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Hey dumbass. Turbos are for flat grounders...and f1 hahah
Nice comeback for not being intelligent enough to give a logical answer. Are you 9? You are the one that made the argument about all pro series racing using NA engines, when in fact you were wrong again, and most uses power adders.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Those numbers are at sea level. I highly doubt theirs are flawed and yours are not. The power difference between the two engines are grossly exaggerated quite often. The 2.0 and 3.6 are neck to neck with a slight edge in the 2.0s more favor. Even more so at elevation.
That goes exactly with what I said. As far as my GT500, that was at 1,165ft elevation, and if anything should have been slower than C&D.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Not sure how much trust I would put on C&D numbers. My brother has a 3.6 Rbicon and auto. We lined up just for giggles, and I walked away from him. Plus I beat their 1/4 time in my 2014 GT500 by 1.1 full seconds and 4mph the first time I took it to the strip.
That goes exactly with what I said.
You have quite the way with words considering your response suggests differently..