Sponsored

3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both??

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Which is why the 2.0 is not offered in the JT. On a lease or something your going to sell in 4 years either one is good. Long term 3.6 all day.
Also , water cooled EGR, air charge intercool in addition to standard radiator.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe because it's several hundred pounds heavier, rated for higher towing weights off the bat, and in-actual-fact a truck, not an SUV. It also may not have had adequate time to test the drivetrain and/or truck buyers would refuse a 2.0T but Wrangler owners might be more comfortable with it. There's all sorts of legitimate reasons why the Gladiator doesn't have the 2.0 but the Wranglers do. Different vehicle, different market, different buyer, different usage.

And every manufacturer would sell a kidney to save a buck in manufacturing costs. Yet somehow modern turbos are just fine (assuming your Focus RS got the Focus head gasket and not the Mustang one).

Again, fewer part count isn't definite when you're talking I4 turbo vs. V6. Recall double the heads, double the valvetrains, double the exhausts, and all the timing components. A turbo is really not complex. Controlling it via ECU might be, but mechanically they are quite simple.

A nice inline 6 would be sweet, but slapping turbos on that reminds me of the oh-so-wonderful twin turbo E90 BMWs that were.... not exactly the worlds most reliable and trouble-free engines of all time. Reverting to single turbo along with other tweaks made them much, much more reliable.

I guess my point is there's no inherent problem with a I4 turbo vs. V6 - it all comes down to design and manufacturing. If FCA can make their V6 reliable, no reason they couldn't also make a bulletproof I4 turbo. It's a global engine and the Alfa Romeo Giulia seems plenty reliable with the 2.0T. The TTV6 Quadrifoglio is a whole different ballgame.
Also, the 2.0T was put into Wrangler in part to circumvent tax regulations in many parts of the world.

Jeep does not have global aspirations for Gladiator any time soon, so the need to offer a 2.0T on JT are not there.

KLMkrieger

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
I am the owner of a JL Rubicon with the 2.0 turbo in Colorado. I live at 5,000’ elevation and frequently spend time off road at 10,000’ and I regret buying the turbo.

The higher the elevation the greater the turbo lag. I have found myself at 10,000’ having to turn around in a very tight spot – I step on the gas pedal and nothing happens for 2 or 3 seconds, then the boost kicks in and I’m lurched forward.

This is VERY unsettling when you’re on the edge of a cliff in the Rocky Mountains.

The turbo may be fine at low elevations, but NOT in Colorado.

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
My opinion, after two 3.6L JKUR and one JT 3.6 is that you will like the advanced suspension of the newer Jeeps, and the 3.6 is the simplest, most reliable engine long-term. I'd avoid e-torque, and I just press the button every time to defeat the ess.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Does anyone who actually owns a 2.0 have any complaints or engine failures related to the 2.0? I don't really count the first 500 miles, as assembly & manufacturing defects happen to all motors. BSG/eTorque isn't 2.0 specific anymore, just wondering if there are actually any issues besides speculation.
I’m at 20,000 miles and it’s all been good. Will get some altitude testing next week in Colorado. Looking forward to it!

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I drive a 3.6l and 6 speed manual a lot at 5k-12k feet (Denver to high country). It's more about gearing than turbo efficiency at elevation I think. Would I have considered the turbo if offered with the manual transmission? YES, not doubt I would have but that wasn't an option and I'm not driving up and down 5k feet with an auto trans. Furthermore I just like a manual. I've owned over a dozen vehicles since 1985 when I got my license to drive and more than half have been manual trans. I don't have to deal with some silly open door lockout/disable or any of the other nannies the auto trans and electronics cause.

The Tazer JL disables ESS so thats a non issue for me and I often need a rear locker at any speed/4hi in the winter.

TXHusker

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
I am 3 months into a Rubi 4 door Recon..
Only one thing to say about the hybrid version..
even though the 0 to 60 is about 6.5 secs.
This engine has the zero to 30 of a much more powerful package.
Its that right off the line giddy jump that puts a smile on my face every time.
There is no mistaking the electric torque contribution here.
It is still inconceivable that each cylinder is only 500 cc's
Yet it is never lacking for thrust..The turbo is invisible as well..
and the whole package never shows signs of being taxed..just always there.
Viva la Alfa Romeo
I am sold!
Agree with many of the posters. Drive both and see what you prefer...you could make a solid argument for either. I bought a 2020 with the 2.0 Turbo in December, the acceleration off the line will definetly surprise you. For me, I have fun in mine, but it's also my daily driver - so a nice side benefit is I get 20-22 mpg consistently. Did a random google search on some of the specs for the 2020's:

https://www.planetchryslerjeepdodge.net/research/jeep-wrangler-engine-options.htm

Digiwolf

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Man I really need to find out why my 3.6 vibrates at idle lol.

Anyway, the only downside I can think of with the 2.0 is that you have to use premium gas.
Ignorant people need to be educated. Smh

Digiwolf

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I agree that the 2.0 does not require premium. It requires 87 Regular and recommends a higher Octane.

I just have to ask because I am not so familiar: is there a reason why higher octane gas is either recommended or required in Turbo Petrol Engines? Esp the older ones. Sorry as I do not have an Engineering Background (Finance/Business).
Older day engines were built with high compression and some still are like the Civic Si. only 200hp but requires Premium fuel.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Ignorant people need to be educated. Smh
I agree that the 2.0 does not require premium. It requires 87 Regular and recommends a higher Octane.

I just have to ask because I am not so familiar: is there a reason why higher octane gas is either recommended or required in Turbo Petrol Engines? Esp the older ones. Sorry as I do not have an Engineering Background (Finance/Business).

Sponsored

Blueeyedme

First Name
DanO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I went with 3.6 for simplify and reliability. We'll see if that decision works out.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I went with 3.6 for simplify and reliability. We'll see if that decision works out.
fact of the matter is.. it's an easy swap if it fails.

jrt623

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
I have a '19 JLUR with the 2.0. I was looking for the 3.6, but all I could find with the color/options/equipment I wanted was the 2.0. Don't regret it at all so far. This thing runs great and like msdesignltd said it does put a smile on my face whenever I punch it.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Hi all,
My question is: Should I get one with a 3.6L or the 2.0 Turbo? What are the pros and cons to both? My primary concern is longevity, I want to keep this Jeep for a long time and have the least possible issues with it.
3.6 runs smoother and has a linear power band. 2.0T has turbo kick. Some have complained of turbo lag and potential crud build-up. For longevity we decided on the 3.6 and so far so good. We ski and SB all winter and no probs climbing up mountain roads. Summer we go backcountry on FSR mountain roads. No probs with AC on full blast.

3.6 has done exactly what has been expected. Get us from A to B without any problems or surprises. Not overpowered but not a slug either. 8spd and Rubi gearing work well with stock 33s.
Sponsored