Sponsored

3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine vs. 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I With Start Stop

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It's funny how many comments are about the cost of the 48 V battery. Has anyone actually had to buy one yet? Can anyone point to a post where someone has had to buy one?
Sponsored

MillsRubicon

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JL V6 “NON ETORQUE!”
It's funny how many comments are about the cost of the 48 V battery. Has anyone actually had to buy one yet? Can anyone point to a post where someone has had to buy one?
I always think of after warranty is gone we keep our vehicles longer than most

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I always think of after warranty is gone we keep our vehicles longer than most
Me too. My last two vehicles I owned for 9 years each. Assuming I do the same with the JL, the 48V battery will only spend one year out of warranty.

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Depends on how you look at it. My 2021 JLUR has eTorque and it fixed the ESS annoyances, I'm a happy camper.
Like I said in my post. For the guy's that absolutely never use the ESS, the e-torque doesn't do anything then?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

You can also save the off setting for the start/stop with a Tazer. This way you don't have to switch it each time you get into the vehicle.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
Unless your in traffic any form of ESS makes no sense. However, anyone claiming to disable it to "prevent wear" also makes no sense. The car does not use the system until everything is warmed up. Once everything is warm there is very little load required by the starter and battery to re start the engine. The engine itself is warm and coated in oil, that oil takes more than a few minutes to settle back to the oil pan, it does not just fling itself off your engine upon shut down.

Is there slightly increased wear to the starter and battery by using ESS? yes, there is. Will that slight increase ever come even close to the savings in fuel you will achieve by using it? No, you will save far more money in fuel by leaving it on. Will there be any increased wear to the engine by using ESS? Absolutely not, its all covered in warm oil, the only way it would increase wear is if the system stayed on for an hour until everything cooled completely and then re started it. Heat cycling your engine a dozen times per day would definitely shorten its life significantly. But that just does not happen in the span of a few minutes.

Not every piece of emissions equipment is dumb, some of it is actually very well thought out and beneficial to the end user as well.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Me too. My last two vehicles I owned for 9 years each. Assuming I do the same with the JL, the 48V battery will only spend one year out of warranty.
By the time you might need to replace the battery they will be even less expensive…..

Sponsored

chappy200

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys 2 door, Sting Gray
This is an interesting topic. I looked at the window sticker on my 21 JL and I have the following:

Transmission: 8–Speed Automatic 850RE Transmission.
Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I With Start Stop

Seemingly, the engine and transmission options that I received are no longer available. Anyone have any insights on this? I am very happy with my JL and would not change anything drivetrain wise. I'm just curious, as I had not even heard of the e-torque engine beforehand.

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
This is an interesting topic. I looked at the window sticker on my 21 JL and I have the following:

Transmission: 8–Speed Automatic 850RE Transmission.
Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I With Start Stop

Seemingly, the engine and transmission options that I received are no longer available. Anyone have any insights on this? I am very happy with my JL and would not change anything drivetrain wise. I'm just curious, as I had not even heard of the e-torque engine beforehand.
When I originally made this post that’s what I was trying to figure out. Then when my Jeep was built and came in it had the eTorque and was different than what was showing as advertised upon my ordering it.

I live in a small, rural town in Northeast Colorado that is about 3 to 5 miles square but in it is a ton of stop lights and stop signs. So the stop/start function on my eTorque engine gets a lot of use! But the trade off though is that I only put about 5,000 miles a year on my vehicles. Although with my JLUR, it will start to see more because I ordered and bought it with the specific purpose in mind of getting back into off roading, overlanding and off grid camping again.

chappy200

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys 2 door, Sting Gray
When I originally made this post that’s what I was trying to figure out. Then when my Jeep was built and came in it had the eTorque and was different than what was showing as advertised upon my ordering it.

I live in a small, rural town in Northeast Colorado that is about 3 to 5 miles square but in it is a ton of stop lights and stop signs. So the stop/start function on my eTorque engine gets a lot of use! But the trade off though is that I only put about 5,000 miles a year on my vehicles. Although with my JLUR, it will start to see more because I ordered and bought it with the specific purpose in mind of getting back into off roading, overlanding and off grid camping again.
Ahh, O.K. Hopefully somebody will have some information on this. I have gotten into the habit of turning off the auto/stop/start every time I get in my Jeep. I don't drive all that much either, maybe 5 to 6 thousand miles per year max, so MPG is not all that important to me (within reason).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I now have an Etorque 3.6 on the way for my wife. We bought a 2021 with 4600 miles on it today and pick it up Monday or Tuesday. Unlike my manual/ESS, we're going to use the Etorque and let it do its thing.

Through this thread and others, I've not seen one person who doesn't like it. Sounds like Jeep hit a home run with this setup.

We'll be running it stock for awhile but my wife may want to put a lift and 35's on it next spring or summer. I doubt they'll bother it much as they will be C-rated KO2's in 315 size, so they are light weight and IIRC, about 34.6" diameter. So it shouldn't be different enough to bother that generator. But I think there is a great chance she'll leave it alone. It'll handle anything she is brave enough to do off-road.

Anyway, I can't wait to occasionally trade Jeeps with her and drive it on my commute. It has quite a bit of stop/go driving in a way that the Etorque should be at maximum value/utility.

I'm so glad to hear how many are happy with it. I did test drive it today but it was cold and we didn't go far enough or have enough stops for it to warm up enough to kick in.

BarbieMike

First Name
Barbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Living with just the 3.6 with no e-torque, I love it. But I think you'd have to talk to someone who has spent significant time in both, in a variety of driving profiles, before making a final judgement.

The E-torque 3.6 combo made Ward's 10 Best engines in the world list. That's a VERY prestigious list and it would have to show some significant benefits, at least in some profiles, to earn that spot.

Btw, that was the latest in several appearances the 3.6 has made on that list. I think it is a world class engine in any configuration.
How is your gas mileage with this engine?
Sponsored