DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.6 etorque with an automatic trans.

Based on what I have researched, read and seen of the etorque, the prior posts about it activated for about half a wheel turn are correct. FCA doesn't even count the claimed 90 ft lbs of torque in their overall engine torque number, so that shows you it really has no major contribution to engine torque.

I can tell you it does make the ESS stop/start silky smooth. I think that is the major benefit, plus it has the large battery to run AC and electrics more efficiently while the engine is off due to ESS.

I can't say off the line performance is affected or even noticeable versus non-etorque, but so far I am glad for it just for the smooth restarts.
If that's the case, then it is disappointing. I don't like the ESS for the wear it puts on the engine and the added complexity would be worth it to me only if it added that 90ft lbs of torque just a little longer than half a wheel turn. The cost/benefit just doesn't work out for me, if that is indeed how it functions. Just my 2 cents. It doesn't matter, anyway, since I'm a big fan of the manual transmission, anyway.

The ESS actually works ok in the manual. I just don't like the wear it causes. Of note, for those worried: They did put a coating on pistons and wear parts in the PUG Pentastar and likely the 2.0, as well, to mitigate the wear of all those starts. But the jury is out on how well it protects. Time will tell. I hope it does. Because that means mine will go that much longer because I don't use the ESS. They also did beef up the starter in the non E-torque version I have. So without so many cycles, that starter will probably live longer than me.

We'll see how real world feeback looks, though. I'll reserve a final opinion until I hear from someone who buys one and drives it a bit. They'll tell the story.
Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
I have the 3.6 etorque with an automatic trans.

Based on what I have researched, read and seen of the etorque, the prior posts about it activated for about half a wheel turn are correct. FCA doesn't even count the claimed 90 ft lbs of torque in their overall engine torque number, so that shows you it really has no major contribution to engine torque.

I can tell you it does make the ESS stop/start silky smooth. I think that is the major benefit, plus it has the large battery to run AC and electrics more efficiently while the engine is off due to ESS.

I can't say off the line performance is affected or even noticeable versus non-etorque, but so far I am glad for it just for the smooth restarts.
It doesnā€™t increase peak torque, thatā€™s why total output is unchanged. It doesnā€™t add anything during full throttle apparently. It allegedly produces torque just off of idle and while the transmission is shifting gears. When and where exactly doesnā€™t seem to be readily available info. It would be cool if someone did some data logging to show exactly when itā€™s active/is it a progressive amount, or just on/off. Someone has to know by now.

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
I had a work car with ESS, a 2016 Chevrolet Malibu. It was terrible. The start/stop was dramatic, clunky, and delayed. The AC didnā€™t work when the engine was off and it didnā€™t matter if it was running at full blast on a hot day. If you came to a stop, the engine shut off. There was no button to disable, and I had to have two major engine repairs in under 4yrs. The Ford Fusion has been much better, but still not a fan of the hybrid assisted engines in new cars.

This video really helped me understand the eTorque system and how it works.

I was still extremely hesitant to purchase a JL with the 3.6L eTorque until I test drove one. I wanted an automatic bc my wife would like to drive the the jeep too, and I didn't want the 2L turbo or to pay $4k for the diesel. FCA does a lot of things right with the Wrangler, but advanced tech isnā€™t one of them!

With all that said, It drives surprisingly smooth and seems much more intuitive and fluid than I expected. I hardly notice the ESS, and the gas mileage is much improved over my previous JKā€™s with standard 3.6L and manual trans. I am guessing it is because it has already had most of the bugs worked out on the Ram platform. With the 8yr/80k warranty on hybrid parts, Iā€™m pretty comfortable with it.

The JLU will be a weekend vehicle, averaging 5-6k miles/yr, but I still plan on purchasing a 8yr/60k Mopar Maxcare warranty from Zeigler ($920) for peace of mind. Too many interconnected electronics in these new JLā€™s, that arenā€™t covered after 3yr/36k.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The ESS actually works ok in the manual. I just don't like the wear it causes. Of note, for those worried: They did put a coating on pistons and wear parts in the PUG Pentastar and likely the 2.0, as well, to mitigate the wear of all those starts. But the jury is out on how well it protects. Time will tell. I hope it does. Because that means mine will go that much longer because I don't use the ESS. They also did beef up the starter in the non E-torque version I have. So without so many cycles, that starter will probably live longer than me.

We'll see how real world feeback looks, though. I'll reserve a final opinion until I hear from someone who buys one and drives it a bit. They'll tell the story.
I've had ESS disabled from the first month I owned my 3.6 JLUR with a Tazer JL and agree. I think the added durability of the 3.6 will last a very long time, along with the HD batteries (and beefed up starter) with the towing package.

To tell you the truth the 3.6's so smooth running I never had much of an issue with ESS. It worked really well. I did stall a few times because you do have to give it a second with the manual trans, and most people try to run you over nowadays when the light turns green, but once I had the timing down it never really bothered me.

Not sure how much that etorque battery weighs but its not something I would want hanging needing another skidplate and adding weight.

Stl Rubicon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JL
I just purchased a 2021 Rubicon 3.6L with etorque...huge fan of it! Hardly notice the restarts (super smooth). It is worth it in my mind!

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Does eTorque on the 3.6L do anything for fuel economy? From what I recall, you may see around 20 mpg's with an eTorque 3.6L engine and maybe around 16 mpg's on a regular 3.6L with ESS. Can anybody confirm?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Does eTorque on the 3.6L do anything for fuel economy? From what I recall, you may see around 20 mpg's with an eTorque 3.6L engine and maybe around 16 mpg's on a regular 3.6L with ESS. Can anybody confirm?
I don't have one, but yes, it does. It is technically a mild hybrid setup and provides about 90 ft lbs of torque in addition to the engine's power, so it should produce its gains in city and stop and go driving. I'm not sure how much, because I have not lived with it. ESS alone, on mine, produces about 1 mpg gain on my commute, which is stop/go. Combined with the E-torque, I would imagine at least 1 to 2 mpg gain. It will make no difference in highway mileage or steady cruising. My understanding is that it only aids on acceleration from a stop. So you'd see a gain in average economy if you do city or mixed driving. If mostly highway, the gain would be small, if noticeable, at all.

I can't speak to real world experience, though, so I'll defer to someone who actually has it and lives with it.

Nc138

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2021
I have about 5k miles on my 21 JL 3.6L with e-torque and have not seen any issues. It starts up quicker and smoother than my 2019 Expedition with start/stop. You notice the difference when driving both vehicles. I do a lot of around town driving and mileage is around 17MPG. Not to start a war on here, but been using 87 as well and all has been great. Shifts are also quick and very smooth, e-torque also claims a play with that by helping slow the engine down between shifts. Thereā€™s not much talk about that feature, but would be interested to see long term stats on transmission health and performance with and without e-torque at 75k miles. I think the quality of this powertrain is better than the 10 speed and 3.5l eco boost on the $68k expedition.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Not sure if these would be real world numbers, but according to the Fed ( https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42908&id=40969 ), the E-torque, 3.6L with 8 speed auto gets 1 mpg better City, 1 mpg better Highway, and 1 mpg better combined, when compared to the same engine/transmission with the non- E-torque.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I did see those fueleconomy.gov numbers and feel like they are inflated vs real world driving. They also don't take into account any modifications done, such as the very popular lifts and larger tires. I think it's better to talk to other Jeepers that have real world experience with driving it and get the real picture.

That's also another interesting point about the transmission after 75k. I would *guess* that it would be in the same condition, since the etorque component is just driving the engine a bit easier, from what I read. But who knows, maybe it does make a difference.

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I understand everything you said and agree with it. What I am saying is my engine NEVER shuts off while off roading, thereby negating e torque. When I hit the offroad+ button it turns off ess and traction control.
wait what is the offroad+ button.. i have never heard of this

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, this might be the dumbest question on this thread, but here goes: Is the "3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine" considered a Pentastar engine? I always thought it was, but only the non-Torque engine is identified as a "Pentastar" on Jeep's website. Probably just a poor write-up, but wanted to confirm.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Like the etorque on my 3.6L - so far at 4700 miles it's running smooth like the day I picked it up. Wonder when a SC will be available for the etorque config.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I bet one of the eTorque fuel mileage increase would actually be because you're more likely not going to disable it, and allow it to shut off instead of idling.

As for transmission longevity: the BSG slows the motor down when upshifting, which is usually done by the transmission. I suspect that this could allow the transmission to last longer.

Well, this might be the dumbest question on this thread, but here goes: Is the "3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine" considered a Pentastar engine? I always thought it was, but only the non-Torque engine is identified as a "Pentastar" on Jeep's website. Probably just a poor write-up, but wanted to confirm.
Yes. eTorque basically replaces the alternator with a BSG (Belt-starter-generator). Both the 3.6 & 2.0 are now available with/without eTorque depending on year/model/options.
Sponsored