Sponsored

3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine vs. 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I With Start Stop

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Hello everyone. This past Thursday on November 12, I placed an order for my first Jeep. It will be a 2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.

When I ordered my Rubicon, my heart wanted a manual transmission because I have always loved them but since my Rubicon will be used primarily for off road purposes, I decided to go with an automatic because I didnā€™t want to risk my clutch going out somewhere in the middle of nowhere and I would end up getting stuck somewhere very remote with no signs of any people close by.

When I ordered my Rubicon, I noticed that there are 2 different kinds of 3.6 liter V-6 engines. The 3.6 that comes with a manual transmission stops and starts if someone is stopped somewhere and the vehicle would be left idling. I then noticed that the 3.6 that comes with the automatic transmission comes with something called eTorque. If I understood what I was reading about eTorque engine correctly, it has an electric motor attached to the engine gives the motor some additional power during take offs and/or during accelerations.

I have spent the past few days trying to find out if there are any other differences between those two engines or not? So far, I have not been able to find a single thing. I see lots of videos and explanations comparing one of these engines the the 2.0 I-4T engine and/or against the 3.0 V-6TT Eco diesel engine but nothing on comparing the two different 3.6 V-6 engines.

Any help from anyone that can educate me on the differences between these two engines would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
Sponsored

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
J, only from what I know since I went through this whole
thing before I ordered, And yes, I just got my 2021 Willys 3.6 Pentarstar, 8 speed auto trans. on 11/13, Friday. The regular ESS system with the others, start at a stop using the engine starter and a smaller auxiliary battery, the 3.6 Pentastar with the 8 speed auto (e torque) uses a auxiliary 48 volt battery and belt driven motor/generator to re-start the engine at a stop ( not the starter) . Both systems do stop the engine at a stop, then re-start after you release the brake. The e torque is designed to be smother than the regular ESS system, add a little more start up torque, and actually smooth out the shifting for the Auto. If you decide on the 3.6 with the Auto, there is no option, you get the e torque. I have driven over the weekend, and the e torque seems fine. Both systems have the ā€buttonā€ to disable but with mine, I really donā€™t see why I would disable it, itā€™s pretty smooth. So for the 3.6, it auto with e torque, on manual, the ESS . No other options. Just remember ESSs system is different from the e torque system, both pretty much do the same thing at a stop, but they are different! Let us know Dude....

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
J, only from what I know since I went through this whole
thing before I ordered, And yes, I just got my 2021 Willys 3.6 Pentarstar, 8 speed auto trans. on 11/13, Friday. The regular ESS system with the others, start at a stop using the engine starter and a smaller auxiliary battery, the 3.6 Pentastar with the 8 speed auto (e torque) uses a auxiliary 48 volt battery and belt driven motor/generator to re-start the engine at a stop ( not the starter) . Both systems do stop the engine at a stop, then re-start after you release the brake. The e torque is designed to be smother than the regular ESS system, add a little more start up torque, and actually smooth out the shifting for the Auto. If you decide on the 3.6 with the Auto, there is no option, you get the e torque. I have driven over the weekend, and the e torque seems fine. Both systems have the ā€buttonā€ to disable but with mine, I really donā€™t see why I would disable it, itā€™s pretty smooth. So for the 3.6, it auto with e torque, on manual, the ESS . No other options. Just remember ESSs system is different from the e torque system, both pretty much do the same thing at a stop, but they are different! Let us know Dude....
Congratulations on your new Jeep! And thank you for the explanation. You answered everything perfectly and I really appreciate you doing that. I looked everywhere to try and find out how they were different or the same but couldnā€™t find anything. Now everything makes much better sense, so thank you again!

Rkcmike63

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4 and 2002 HD RKC
Congratulations on your new Jeep! And thank you for the explanation. You answered everything perfectly and I really appreciate you doing that. I looked everywhere to try and find out how they were different or the same but couldnā€™t find anything. Now everything makes much better sense, so thank you again!
Hello everyone. This past Thursday on November 12, I placed an order for my first Jeep. It will be a 2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.

When I ordered my Rubicon, my heart wanted a manual transmission because I have always loved them but since my Rubicon will be used primarily for off road purposes, I decided to go with an automatic because I didnā€™t want to risk my clutch going out somewhere in the middle of nowhere and I would end up getting stuck somewhere very remote with no signs of any people close by.

When I ordered my Rubicon, I noticed that there are 2 different kinds of 3.6 liter V-6 engines. The 3.6 that comes with a manual transmission stops and starts if someone is stopped somewhere and the vehicle would be left idling. I then noticed that the 3.6 that comes with the automatic transmission comes with something called eTorque. If I understood what I was reading about eTorque engine correctly, it has an electric motor attached to the engine gives the motor some additional power during take offs and/or during accelerations.

I have spent the past few days trying to find out if there are any other differences between those two engines or not? So far, I have not been able to find a single thing. I see lots of videos and explanations comparing one of these engines the the 2.0 I-4T engine and/or against the 3.0 V-6TT Eco diesel engine but nothing on comparing the two different 3.6 V-6 engines.

Any help from anyone that can educate me on the differences between these two engines would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
I was also hoping to find more info also on the differences. Ready to order but Iā€™m concerned with the eTorque reliability. I am in the several local dealers weekly and it seems there is a problem getting the 48 volt battery when they fail. Does anyone else have any input? I really donā€™t want to go with a manual...

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I was also hoping to find more info also on the differences. Ready to order but Iā€™m concerned with the eTorque reliability. I am in the several local dealers weekly and it seems there is a problem getting the 48 volt battery when they fail. Does anyone else have any input? I really donā€™t want to go with a manual...
If it can be shut off and not used, then just drive with it off for a while if it fails and the part is delayed coming in.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
They use this same system in the RAM 1500 and it was awarded a top 10 engine in Wards the last 2 years. I just picked mine up a week ago and after coming from the 3.6 manual in a JKU, I am really impressed with the 3.6 and auto with the eTorque.

The start / stop is silky smooth too.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I own a 2021 JLUR with the 3.6 etorque and you would not believe how much smoother the etorque ESS actually is compared to regular ESS. No passenger in my car in the past two months since I got the vehicle has ever noticed the ESS at traffic lights. Iā€˜ve had to tell them and make most of them actually look at the tach going to zero for them to believe me. It works in such a way that all ESS should work in all vehicles. Iā€™ve never experienced such a quick and smooth ESS system until I bought this etorque Wrangler.

LastFrontier1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR Sarge Green
I own a 2021 JLUR with the 3.6 etorque and you would not believe how much smoother the etorque ESS actually is compared to regular ESS. No passenger in my car in the past two months since I got the vehicle has ever noticed the ESS at traffic lights. Iā€˜ve had to tell them and make most of them actually look at the tach going to zero for them to believe me. It works in such a way that all ESS should work in all vehicles. Iā€™ve never experienced such a quick and smooth ESS system until I bought this etorque Wrangler.
Is there any advantage to etorque if the ESS is turned off that you notice? I could not find anything that covered any usefulness of etorgue unless driving in "stop and go" traffic situations with the ESS on. I ordered a 2JLR and will be using it off road a lot with the ESS off (well I think so at least). This is my first post so bear with me. Thanks.

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong and I posed this question in another thread but I believe one major difference between the ESS non-eTorque 3.6 and the 48V eTorque 3.6 is that only the former can be oufitted with an aftermarket supercharger kit.

Several manufacturers (Edelbrock, Magnuson, RIPP, ProCharger, etc) currently offer either a roots-style kit or a centrifugal-sytle kit for the JL/JT but all of them are only compatible with the non-eTorque 3.6 it seems.

Obviously this is not important to some folks but it is a difference worth noting.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Is there any advantage to etorque if the ESS is turned off that you notice? I could not find anything that covered any usefulness of etorgue unless driving in "stop and go" traffic situations with the ESS on. I ordered a 2JLR and will be using it off road a lot with the ESS off (well I think so at least). This is my first post so bear with me. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum! :like:

Beside all the ESS perks, the electric motor in the etorque version is supposed to provide low-end torque and help with vehicle acceleration from a dead stop. However, I have not done any specific tests using etorque vs non-etorque versions of the JL so I canā€™t give you any first-hand opinions.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Whereā€™s that 48v battery stuffed? Somewhere underneath?
If it's setup like the 2.0T eTorque, it will be underneath and along the driver side frame rail. It's basically on the opposite side from the fuel tank.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
^That. We have two Wranglers in the house with the 3.6, one with e-torque and one without. Mine does not have e-torque, and I usually drive with the auto stop-start disabled because it can be noticeably rough on restarts. I never disable it when I drive my wifeā€™s because it takes off perfectly smooth. Mine feels like my Jeep Is going to shake apart sometimes if I donā€™t give it a moment between foot off brake to throttle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I remember an FCA powertrain engineer saying that the E-torque adds about 90ft lbs of torque right off idle. That's significant.

I'm not a fan of the complexity, but I think they've put enough of them out there that it has likely become a mature powertrain by now. That torque, if the charge can be maintained for every start, would be pretty amazing off-road. I'd want to see how it behaves during a full day of off-roading. I'm sure it is pretty amazing on-road, though.
Sponsored