DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
How is your gas mileage with this engine?
I just completed a round trip to Florida and averaged right at 18mpg. I'll get the exact number soon, but I had some tanks at over 19 and some in the 17's. We drove 75-80mph 90% of the time. There was a stint in Florida at 85 just to keep up with the knuckleheads on I75.
Sponsored

Scratch

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK 2019 JL MOAB 2020 JTR
I picked up the new JLR this weekend with the 3.6 etorque because it was the only way I could get it. First let me say I didn't want the etorque and wasn't happy that is the only way I could find the JLR.
I was very pleasantly surprised!
It is smoother, quieter and feels quicker than either my JT or the wife's JL without etorque.
The hill decent seemed more positive.
The start stop... I press that button everytime I get in one of the jeeps. With the etorque engine I don't feel like I have to. It is almost seamless.
I was really impressed! Now I just hope the extra complexity of the system holds up over time
Your mileage may vary!

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Your thoughts are exactly the same as mine after first purchasing. After 16,000 miles, I am still pleased!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I love the Etorque and was fine now with using ESS with it, I did hear from my friend who was an engineer on the original Pentastar's design team a few days ago. To quote him directly, "I wouldn't use it. It eats up bearings real bad." He said Etorque will be going away but is not sure exactly when. It's a bummer because he said they worked really hard on it. They certainly nailed it as far as function.

It'll be interesting to see how the long-term durability works out with the bearings. I've no doubt the rest of the system is robust. Maybe the advanced coatings they put on some of the engine internals will prevent some of that wear. He doesn't believe they will, at least with the bearings. But who knows, maybe he's wrong on that?

Reactions: AFD

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

As much as I love the Etorque and was fine now with using ESS with it, I did hear from my friend who was an engineer on the original Pentastar's design team a few days ago. To quote him directly, "I wouldn't use it. It eats up bearings real bad." He said Etorque will be going away but is not sure exactly when. It's a bummer because he said they worked really hard on it. They certainly nailed it as far as function.

It'll be interesting to see how the long-term durability works out with the bearings. I've no doubt the rest of the system is robust. Maybe the advanced coatings they put on some of the engine internals will prevent some of that wear. He doesn't believe they will, at least with the bearings. But who knows, maybe he's wrong on that?
I have yet to hear of bearing issues and this engine is in the Ram as well.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to hear of bearing issues and this engine is in the Ram as well.
What's the highest mileage you've seen on one? I'd be thrilled to hear from someone with 200k that's used it consistently. But I haven't seen one with even 50k on it yet, although my wife is racking up the miles quick enough that it might not be long, lol.

Just passing along what he said. It's not something that'll show up at 20k miles. I think he's talking quite a bit further down the road than that. If someone doesn't keep vehicles for much more than 100k, I'd bet it won't be an issue.

I'll try and get him to elaborate on what kind of effect it would have on the lifespan of an engine with typical use.

Reactions: AFD

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase

I know of a number of Ram work trucks that have the 3.6 Etorque with 130k+ - no issues.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know of a number of Ram work trucks that have the 3.6 Etorque with 130k+ - no issues.
That's good to hear! Next milestone would be 150k.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
That would make a lot of sense if the new GME 3.0TT S.O. i6 will eventually be replacing the 3.6 Pentastar, afaik, neither the standard or high output options will be using the eTorque system (not sure if they'll still have ESS).

Personally, I'd much rather have an engine without eTorque, but unfortunately this is no longer an option if you want an automatic transmission (at least in the Rubicon trim). For me, the added complexity and expense of eventually repairing/replacing the liquid-cooled secondary battery far outweighs the benefit of smoother shifts and a little bonus torque for the first half (or quarter?) wheel turn from takeoff. At least the new 3.0TT will be adding complexity in exchange for a substantial increase in power output. The eTorque is definitely a neat idea, but imo seems kinda like a half-assed hybrid drivetrain. Again jmo, and I'm glad that most people seem to enjoy it.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
That's good to hear! Next milestone would be 150k.
That's the "+" part as these trucks had the 130k mileage several months ago... I am sure they are well over 150k by now. In short - the 3.6 Etorque is a proven reliable motor.

Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Why do none of the Ram trucks come with a 2.0 turbo but come with a 3.6?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why do none of the Ram trucks come with a 2.0 turbo but come with a 3.6?
Probably for several reasons the 2.0 isn't as suited to towing heavier loads. But the 2.0 will easily handle anything a Wrangler can tow.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The JT platform already has trouble getting high tow ratings due to cooling on the 3.6. This is probably why they had to use the JL 2.0's cooling fans and enlarge the grill openings.

It's likely the same reason why there isn't a 392 Gladiator.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
The JT platform already has trouble getting high tow ratings due to cooling on the 3.6. This is probably why they had to use the JL 2.0's cooling fans and enlarge the grill openings.

It's likely the same reason why there isn't a 392 Gladiator.
If you get the 3.6 with the tow package on the JL you get the JT wider grill spacing.
Sponsored