Sponsored

3.6L Pentastar Used Oil Analysis of Factory Fill, 2000 Miles (Blackstone report)

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
$28. $10 more if you want the TBN, which allegedly tells you the life left in the oil.

The problem with TBN is that degredation is not linear, so it really tells you if the oil is still good, but doesn't really give you much to determine how much longer it can go.

whyjguy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 1994 YJ
$28. $10 more if you want the TBN, which allegedly tells you the life left in the oil.

The problem with TBN is that degredation is not linear, so it really tells you if the oil is still good, but doesn't really give you much to determine how much longer it can go.

Exactly, but it can give you a good idea of when to change next time. If they say you change at 7K and they say you have 5k left, you should be safe if nothing else changes in driving habits to move to a 10k flush.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
Old School and OCD...

I changed my oil and filter at 500 miles which is the old school mentality of cleaning out the microscopic break-in particles. Next change will be at 1500 miles and then normal changes on out.

Based on what it says in the owners manual (page 248) the turbo comes with full synthetic from the factory and the 3.6 says just oil so I'm guessing it's a blend or full since that's all you can get in Pennzoil 0w-20. Dealer said full synthetic came with it but who knows.

When I did my change I switched over to Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and will be using that till forever. I'd stick with Pennzoil and not go with Mobil. They also recommend Mopar, Pennzoil and Shell Helix. You can find Pennzoil 0W-20 at Wally World now and again for $27.

BTW... I love the fact that is a true 5qt fill. I drained the oil on a level surface, changed the filter and poured the entire 5qt. jug of oil in and it was perfect on the dipstick.
I plan on changing out the factory blend at 1000 miles and then use nothing but Pennzoil Premium after that for my Pentastar V6. Will you get better performance from 0W-20? I usually run 5W-20.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I plan on changing out the factory blend at 1000 miles and then use nothing but Pennzoil Premium after that for my Pentastar V6. Will you get better performance from 0W-20? I usually run 5W-20.
The owner's manual calls for 0W20 for the JL.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A 5w20 won't hurt anything. Once it warms up, it will have about the same viscosity as a 0w20. In fact, a thick 20 weight will be very close to a thin 30 weight. On the oil weight, though, I'll be sticking with 0w20 unless I see it shear down even thinner in a used oil analysis. I would be shocked to see that with Mobil 1 in a Pentastar, but it can happen with some oils in some engines. Ford specifies 5w30 in the 3.5 Ecoboost because that engine is hard on oil and will shear most conventional and even some synthetic blends right down to a 20 weight. This is one of the things a used oil analysis will tell you.

When I get 4,000 miles on my current oil, I'll change it and do another UOA and will post the results. We'll then compare the viscosity with what it was when new, and see what happens. I fully expect it to remain a 20 weight in the 3.6, especially since it is Mobil 1 EP.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LED Lighting
Thanks guys! I have not seen the manual yet and appreciate the info. I look forward to seeing Dan's UOA results later this year.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LED Lighting
Thanks FatBoy1!

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
A 5w20 won't hurt anything. Once it warms up, it will have about the same viscosity as a 0w20. In fact, a thick 20 weight will be very close to a thin 30 weight. On the oil weight, though, I'll be sticking with 0w20 unless I see it shear down even thinner in a used oil analysis. I would be shocked to see that with Mobil 1 in a Pentastar, but it can happen with some oils in some engines. Ford specifies 5w30 in the 3.5 Ecoboost because that engine is hard on oil and will shear most conventional and even some synthetic blends right down to a 20 weight. This is one of the things a used oil analysis will tell you.

When I get 4,000 miles on my current oil, I'll change it and do another UOA and will post the results. We'll then compare the viscosity with what it was when new, and see what happens. I fully expect it to remain a 20 weight in the 3.6, especially since it is Mobil 1 EP.
I agree 100% with what you stated. Probably, reality is, RCA used and says 0w20 as this is what they used/ what helped to get the gas mileage specs with the JL that they tout.

As for me, I will buy and use either 0w20 or 5w20 depending on which I can get cheaper at oil change time. Sometimes you can find 5w20 way cheaper then 0w20 and vice versa. Either weight are aok to use!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree 100% with what you stated. Probably, reality is, RCA used and says 0w20 as this is what they used/ what helped to get the gas mileage specs with the JL that they tout.

As for me, I will buy and use either 0w20 or 5w20 depending on which I can get cheaper at oil change time. Sometimes you can find 5w20 way cheaper then 0w20 and vice versa. Either weight are aok to use!
Yep, and once warm, their viscosity will be statistically the same. You might miss that .01 mpg the 0w gets you. Lol!

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
This is great news for all of us! Thanks, Dan...you're the man! :like::clap::rock: I run Royal Purple in all of my vehicles...from motorcycles to big trucks to watercraft...and I can guarantee you that I'll be running that in my Rubicon after the first 2000. I've used that synthetic oil for almost 30 years now and my confidence in that product is exceptionally high. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to use a synthetic oil.:):like: Btw...I like these emojis...just sayin'...:giggle:

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Exactly, but it can give you a good idea of when to change next time. If they say you change at 7K and they say you have 5k left, you should be safe if nothing else changes in driving habits to move to a 10k flush.
Personally, I'm pretty religious about changing the oil at 5K whether it's needed or not. I think I can honestly say that I've never had to have a major engine repair before 150K on any of the vehicles I've ever owned...(knock on wood :fingerscrossed:).

RNJeeper

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU white Sport S
Occupation
RN
Old School and OCD...

I changed my oil and filter at 500 miles which is the old school mentality of cleaning out the microscopic break-in particles. Next change will be at 1500 miles and then normal changes on out.

Based on what it says in the owners manual (page 248) the turbo comes with full synthetic from the factory and the 3.6 says just oil so I'm guessing it's a blend or full since that's all you can get in Pennzoil 0w-20. Dealer said full synthetic came with it but who knows.

When I did my change I switched over to Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and will be using that till forever. I'd stick with Pennzoil and not go with Mobil. They also recommend Mopar, Pennzoil and Shell Helix. You can find Pennzoil 0W-20 at Wally World now and again for $27.

BTW... I love the fact that is a true 5qt fill. I drained the oil on a level surface, changed the filter and poured the entire 5qt. jug of oil in and it was perfect on the dipstick.

Pennzoil platinum 0W-20 5 quart is on sale at Walmart for $17.00. Just picked some up tonight.
Sponsored