3.6L Multiple Cylinder Misfire & Cam Shaft Timing

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Hey all - My Jeep (and another one, see below) has been in the shop since Monday afternoon for a series of codes:

1. Multiple Cylinder Misfire
  2. Cam Shaft Timing issue (Can't remember the exact code readout)
7,300 km on the ODO (4,530 miles)

on Monday, my Jeep's check engine light started flashing when driving at approximately 80 kph, the stop/ start system was disabled and the engine started bucking and running very rough. The roughness issue seemed to go away at 3000 RPM, so I limped it to the dealer for diagnosis.

On Tuesday another Jeep with nearly identical ODO reading came in to the garage reading the same codes.

The shop foreman has been working with FCA engineering on this one. So far, he's tried:

1. Changing oil and reseting code. After 4 minutes of driving the issue came back
  2. Inspecting engine and valves
  3. Inspecting the rocker arms (this is not the rocker arm issue posted elsewhere)
  4. Checking the electronics
FCA has asked him to remove the oil pans on both Jeeps and send photos for comparison, along with the serial numbers of both engines to see if they were made at the same time.

I'll keep you updated as I learn more, in case anyone out there is having the same issue.

When I get her back I'll ask for the detailed codes and diagnosis procedure and post as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NovaJeep

NovaJeep

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Update: the shop diagnosed the issue as related to a seized cam phaser and oil control solenoid. Once replaced, it seems to be okay so far (400 km and counting, knock on wood)

This issue followed a weekend trip with a muddy misadventure, but the intake was clear of water/ mud. The oil pan had reasonably significant amounts of mud/dirt and water. According to the techs, the water in the oil caused issues with the lubrication of the cam phaser which in turn caused it to seize solid.

This case was elevated to FCA's engineering group - all they did was restrict my warranty (still fighting that one). They weren't able to determine how water/mud got into the engine oil, especially as the water level was below the line shown on the tailgate data plate.

The dealer's operating theory is that the crankshaft seal may be defective, but for some reason is unable to confirm definitively either way. When running,there is an impeller on the crankshaft to generate a negative pressure in the crank case. If the shaft seal is defective, the negative pressure will cause any water or debris outside the engine to enter the crank case and contaminate the oil.

20181106_100113.jpg

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Update: the shop diagnosed the issue as related to a seized cam phaser and oil control solenoid. Once replaced, it seems to be okay so far (400 km and counting, knock on wood)

This issue followed a weekend trip with a muddy misadventure, but the intake was clear of water/ mud. The oil pan had reasonably significant amounts of mud/dirt and water. According to the techs, the water in the oil caused issues with the lubrication of the cam phaser which in turn caused it to seize solid.

This case was elevated to FCA's engineering group - all they did was restrict my warranty (still fighting that one). They weren't able to determine how water/mud got into the engine oil, especially as the water level was below the line shown on the tailgate data plate.

The dealer's operating theory is that the crankshaft seal may be defective, but for some reason is unable to confirm definitively either way. When running,there is an impeller on the crankshaft to generate a negative pressure in the crank case. If the shaft seal is defective, the negative pressure will cause any water or debris outside the engine to enter the crank case and contaminate the oil.

20181106_100113.jpg
Interesting. Could it be coolant contamination from a bad head gasket?
Sponsored