3.6l low oil after oil/filter change

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Just did my 2nd oil change on my 2020 sport and after I changed the oil i let it run and get up to temperature then let it sit for a bit and checked the oil. The oil level is on the low end of the dipstick. I used 5qts of pennzoil full synthetic and used a purolator one filter (could not find any mopar filters). Do I need to add some more oil or should this be okay? This did not happen on the first oil change I did.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@xtimesofgrace

Good to see you are doing your own oil changes! Next the diffs and transfer case.. Good for you!

Your JL's 3.6 engine takes 5 qts. You put 5 quarts in!! Wouldn't matter what brand oil filter you used..

I don't even bother checking the dipstick after I pour the 5 qts in...(why bother to do that) It takes 5 quarts, plain and simple.......... 5 qts. in, is five quarts in play.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trivia:

From FCA press release when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill – resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."

OP
OP
xtimesofgrace

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
@xtimesofgrace

Good to see you are doing your own oil changes! Next the diffs and transfer case.. Good for you!

Your JL's 3.6 engine takes 5 qts. You put 5 quarts in!! Wouldn't matter what brand oil filter you used..

I don't even bother checking the dipstick after I pour the 5 qts in...(why bother to do that) It takes 5 quarts, plain and simple.......... 5 qts. in, is five quarts in play.
Yea that is kind of what I was thinking too but you can never be too careful so I thought I’d ask. I pretty much always do my own oil changes because I don’t trust oil change places or dealerships to do them. I’ve heard way too many horror stories plus one of those stories came from a family member. Oil change shop didn’t tighten her oil plug back down and it fell out riding down the road.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
@xtimesofgrace

You never can tell how much people don't pour out of the bottle. Always, always check the oil level.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xtimesofgrace

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
You never can tell how much people don't pour out of the bottle. Always, always check the oil level.
I pour every last drop. I let it sit upside down in the funnel for a minute or two.

Rick4570

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
Mine actually takes 5.5 quarts. If I put only 5 quarts in it won't even show on the dipstick. Especially of you go by the owners manual (hot engine, check 5 minutes after shutting down)

If you are like me and let it sit for over an hour when draining the old oil, you will notice it drips for quite a while. Getting almost all the oil out.

The dealers are in a rush, they put the plug back in before all the old oil has completely drained, so 5 quarts puts it in the crosshatch area.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mine actually takes 5.5 quarts. If I put only 5 quarts in it won't even show on the dipstick. Especially of you go by the owners manual (hot engine, check 5 minutes after shutting down)

If you are like me and let it sit for over an hour when draining the old oil, you will notice it drips for quite a while. Getting almost all the oil out.

The dealers are in a rush, they put the plug back in before all the old oil has completely drained, so 5 quarts puts it in the crosshatch area.
Your engine is not built different from any others, it takes 5 quarts.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What's funny is this same engine in the durango/grand cherokee takes 6qts for some reason, same as the old ones.
There were changes made specifically for the JL for weight savings. @Rhinebeck01 posted the changes above.

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill – resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."

alphawolff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
There were changes made specifically for the JL for weight savings. @Rhinebeck01 posted the changes above.

Seems like a massive amount of wasted effort to save 5 pounds on a >2 ton vehicle, though. I tried to find some more literature on why this change was made, but the best I can find is the TSB that came out since so many dealers were putting 6 quarts in them. I want to know why the grand cherokee and durango remained unchanged from the prior generation. I guess this is why some people feel 5qt reads low on the dipstick, though. Takes longer to drain back into the crankcase.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6l low oil after oil/filter change 1710366351131-hr

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I want to know why the grand cherokee and durango remained unchanged from the prior generation.
Because they were not due for redesigns at the time. The JL was designed with weight savings in mind.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Service Bulletin a post above, supports my typical posts regarding the 3.6 and 5 qts..

My typical spew is as follows:

Proper fill is 5 qts. regardless of what you or I, or any tech says... what anybody says..

In regard to your oil changes....... Suggest you drain your oil ..... give an adequate amount of time for oil to fully drain out. Now, put the drain plug back in and then pour in exactly 5 qts. of oil. Place the fill cap back on and be done with it... don't even bother checking the dipstick. 5 quarts in there is 5 quarts... end of story..
Sponsored