Sponsored

3.6L fca pentastar v6 engine blow out(Only 25000mi)

guanxi6668

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hi everyone, something unfortunate happened to me.
I have a 2021 rubicon jlu with 25000 miles on it right now.
I had a blow out on 05/23/2023.
I was waiting for a red light to turn green and was driving slowly when suddenly it exploded. The oil leaked all over and then a big hole appeared in the cylinder block.
Now that I've taken the jeep to the nearest dealership and I'm awaiting the results of the dealer's inspection, I think I'll have to fight for the warranty.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L fca pentastar v6 engine blow out(Only 25000mi) 图片_20230531230527

Sponsored

mike_g

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
It’s not supposed to do that. But if you didn’t leave out some major detail and did your maintenance i don’t know why it wouldn’t be covered under warranty.

OP
OP

guanxi6668

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It’s not supposed to do that. But if you didn’t leave out some major detail and did your maintenance i don’t know why it wouldn’t be covered under warranty.
I'm just waiting for the results of the inspection and the dealer hasn't informed me if it's covered or not, what I'm trying to say is: I'm at 5000 miles for maintenance and I have to get the warranty, it's a big accident and has to be covered.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The good news is that when you threw the rod through the block there was obviously still oil in the engine, because it leaked out. How long ago was your last oil change? Did you make any engine modifications?

Sponsored

OP
OP

guanxi6668

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
我在 24800 英里时换了机油,就在 1 个月前,我还没有换引擎。我只修改了悬架,轮胎等。

OP
OP

guanxi6668

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So you're saying that the oil was changed every 3,000 miles and you get a hair cut at every oil change?
I don't understand what you mean by ‘hair cut’, but I change it every 5,000 miles and it's a must. And it has nothing to do with the oil, as you can see in the video, so much oil leaked!

Deleted member 59498

Man translate these days work well I think!

I changed the oil at 24800 miles, just 1 month ago I hadn't changed the engine. I only modified the suspension, tires, etc

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
Not sure why you think you'd have to fight it for warranty, lol. Unless you recently had an oil change done (within 100 miles) then it's obviously just a defect. It'd also would've been making absolutely horrible noises before hand if it didn't have oil in it.

Not really anything to worry about but you'll probably be without your jeep for a couple of weeks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

guanxi6668

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Not sure why you think you'd have to fight it for warranty, lol. Unless you recently had an oil change done (within 100 miles) then it's obviously just a defect. It'd also would've been making absolutely horrible noises before hand if it didn't have oil in it.

Not really anything to worry about but you'll probably be without your jeep for a couple of weeks.
Because I've heard a lot of people say that as long as the Jeep has been modified, it's hard to get a warranty. I'm not sure if the dealer would use this as an excuse to deny the warranty

• Angry
Reactions: GtX

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
Because I've heard a lot of people say that as long as the Jeep has been modified, it's hard to get a warranty. I'm not sure if the dealer would use this as an excuse to deny the warranty
Nah, it just comes down to what dealer you take it to. At mine we really don't ask questions unless it's modified in such as way that it's annoying as shit to work on, or it's obviously directly caused by a modification. A hole in the engine block is pretty clear cut manufacturing defect to me.

Had a brand new ram 2500 come in with a ~1 foot lift and 40 inch tires. Wouldn't even touch it.

OP
OP

guanxi6668

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Nah, it just comes down to what dealer you take it to. At mine we really don't ask questions unless it's modified in such as way that it's annoying as shit to work on, or it's obviously directly caused by a modification. A hole in the engine block is pretty clear cut manufacturing defect to me.

Had a brand new ram 2500 come in with a ~1 foot lift and 40 inch tires. Wouldn't even touch it.
thankyou,I'm still waiting for the results of the inspection, honestly does this still need to be inspected? As you said it was a defect and should have just ordered a new engine and put it in.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Unless you modified the engine in some way, there's no reason for this not be covered under warranty.

OP
OP

guanxi6668

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Unless you modified the engine in some way, there's no reason for this not be covered under warranty.
thankyou,I haven't modified the engine, I haven't even modified the intake (I did want to replace an intake system before).
Sponsored