Sponsored

3.6L ESS Stops Engaging, Dealer replaces batteries, Problem Solved

How many 3.6L owners who replaced batties when ESS stopped, found this the long term solution?

• Total voters

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
A lot of threads I've read here about 3.6L owners losing their ESS systems ability to engage

....and there are a fair number of them

...whether they were happy, sad, or indifferent about that, found the problem resolved by the dealer swapping out either or both batteries?

~~~~~~

It's a common story here. The dealer changes batteries and the problem goes away....but for how long. Do you find you're eventually back to ESS no longer engaging in a few days, weeks, months?

Could that many factory batteries have been bad? Is it the design of the system by FCA?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Was getting a "start/stop not ready battery charging" message. Dealer replaced the auxiliary battery on my 1/18 build 18 JLUR in March 19. No problems since.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My main battery was replaced after only 7 months as I was getting ESS not ready battery charging and have not had any issues that I’m aware of but I never use ESS, my EVIC displayed voltage runs high most of the time but no error messages and it’s always started so I guess it’s ok

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Just a Question? I turn mine off when entering the truck( hate it also hated it in my 981)...will this have any adverse effect on the system? battery or otherwise?

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
My vehicle has been at the dealer for ess not functioning. Im not really upset that it ain't working cuz I hate it but I noticed for a couple months now it wouldn't engage. I don't know if the car learns driving habits because I manually turn it off every time I drive but now I've caught it not engaging without having to push the button. Also im not getting any dash lights about it but figured I'd let the dealer look at it while it was there. It's now been 3 days and they can't figure out the problem.

Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Nime stopped working a couple months ago. Haven't done anything about it as I don't care about ESS, don't hate it either, just don't care.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Just a Question? I turn mine off when entering the truck( hate it also hated it in my 981)...will this have any adverse effect on the system? battery or otherwise?
No. The only difference will be a miniscule loss of gasoline savings and possibly less wear and tear on the starter and other moving parts associated with cranking the engine.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Nime stopped working a couple months ago. Haven't done anything about it as I don't care about ESS, don't hate it either, just don't care.
I hear ya Dario but here's my issue.

If you've got a 3.6L and ESS isn't engaging it could be something more serious.

And even if it's just the supplemental battery that's the issue, on the 3.6L that can be a big issue because that supplemental battery has to have minimal power for the rig to cold crank.

Your 3.6L will check that supplemental battery for minimal charge before cold starting. If it has adequate charge both batteries crank the engine. If it doesn't, the crank isn't attempted, even if the main battery could have alone, cranked you successfully.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I hear ya Dario but here's my issue.

If you've got a 3.6L and ESS isn't engaging it could be something more serious.

And even if it's just the supplemental battery that's the issue, on the 3.6L that can be a big issue because that supplemental battery has to have minimal power for the rig to cold crank.

Your 3.6L will check that supplemental battery for minimal charge before cold starting. If it has adequate charge both batteries crank the engine. If it doesn't, the crank isn't attempted, even if the main battery could have alone, cranked you successfully.
Gotcha. I'll let the dealer know next time I take it for service.

Thx!
Sponsored