Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
In case some of you are not aware, this link is to a thread where I try to answer all the questions and I try to add all the new information to the first two threads. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-dual-battery-consolidated-information.25377/
First, thank you for all of your research in to this and for posting the info. I did go through the above thread previously. My question is, is the below section from the above thread the same thing as the N1-N2 jumper described in the beginning of this thread?

Bypassing the Aux Battery
A bad or discharged aux battery can affect PCR operation, which can be disruptive to system electronics and it may need to be bypassed. Bypassing can be accomplished by using a (fused) jumper wire to connect the main battery directly to the system electronics at PDC terminal N1 or by unplugging the PCR, preventing it from disrupting the system electronics.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First, thank you for all of your research in to this and for posting the info. I did go through the above thread previously. My question is, is the below section from the above thread the same thing as the N1-N2 jumper described in the beginning of this thread?

Bypassing the Aux Battery
A bad or discharged aux battery can affect PCR operation, which can be disruptive to system electronics and it may need to be bypassed. Bypassing can be accomplished by using a (fused) jumper wire to connect the main battery directly to the system electronics at PDC terminal N1 or by unplugging the PCR, preventing it from disrupting the system electronics.

Yes it is. The main battery is connected to directly to N2, so connecting the fused jumper from N2 to N1 or from the main battery positive to N1 is the same.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it is. The main battery is connected to directly to N2, so connecting the fused jumper from N2 to N1 or from the main battery positive to N1 is the same.
Thanks!

Midwestguy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Odd request, but can someone tell me what size (thread?) the wingnuts are to secure the terminals to the N1/N2 posts? Im making up a kit for a few jeeps as backups for this winter....

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odd request, but can someone tell me what size (thread?) the wingnuts are to secure the terminals to the N1/N2 posts? Im making up a kit for a few jeeps as backups for this winter....
I recently asked the same question over on the thread about nuts and bolts sizes. No response yet.

Also would a wing nut have the room between posts to be spun between posts?

I was also thinking about small clamps for the jumper I’m going to make.

Midwestguy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I recently asked the same question over on the thread about nuts and bolts sizes. No response yet.

Midwestguy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I do know that a wingnut thats close in size/thread works as I tried it out with one thats close and theres enough clearance

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

N1, N2 and main baterry negative are M6x1.0
Aux battery negative is M8x1.25

Some have bought wingnuts that were too wide. All the ones I bought fit between the post, but you may have to back the first one off a little until the second one is on.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I created two auxillary bypass fused jumpers today (similar to jumper in first post). I used a crimping tool (link below) to install a ring terminal connector on each end. the connection feels pretty solid.

question: should I also use a soldering iron to apply solder to the ring connector/wire end? normally I would just do this without thinking about it but thought I'd check here first, thanks!

crimping tool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069TRKJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

So uh I've got the little wire with the fuse on it in the glovebox just in case... say it won't start out in the middle of nowhere... I just loop it over posts 1 & 2, no special order, no disconnecting anything first, won't zap myself dead? Just confirming :LOL:

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
So wait, after playing around with this I've learned that the batteries are in parallel when the engine is off. You can disconnect the Aux battery simply by removing the negative terminal, and the Jeep still starts but gives you an ESS error. So why would anyone install the jumper to jump start rather than just disconnect the AUX?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have looped N1 and N2 with a fused jumper and then removed the ESS negative off the main and my JL has started and ran fine with no error messages, I left it that way for just over a week and all was good, was going to leave it permanent but it’s under warranty so I just carry the jumper

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
When you say ESS negative, are you referring to the Aux Battery negative ?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
When you say ESS negative, are you referring to the Aux Battery negative ?
When I say ESS negative I am referring to the ESS negative that is connected to the main battery negative.
Sponsored