3.6L ESS Aux Battery Bypass

MoparTH

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray Rubicon Unlimited
So instead of N1 to N2, you ran a 6 gauge wire to N3 ? And with what size fuse ?
No external fuse, N3 is fused at 150A.
Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Ok... I apologize, cause I'm not great with electrical systems.....Why was the preferred method before to go from N1 to N2 ?.....and now you are going N1 to N3 which allows the Aux Battery to be removed completely ? I have NO interest in ESS and will permanently disable mine when I get my JL....So this is interesting.....

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I completely removed the auxiliary battery and wiring about 2 weeks ago due to a bad aux battery but learned something important if you do it this way. A 30 amp fuse is not enough to carry the max load of everything powered by the N1 terminal and when that fuse blows under those conditions it definitely lets you down and you don't have emergency flashers, windows won't roll up and down, etc. I did an amperage check and I was seeing 30.9 amps with heater blower at full blast and radio at about half volume, so I came off of N3 which originally fed the aux battery and is fused at 150A and ran a 6 gauge jumper to N1, I feel more comfortable doing it that way instead of a jumper from N2 to N1 which would have no fusing and could carry whatever current the main battery could provide.

Good job, this is the first post I've seen from some one who completely removed the aux battery. And thanks for the info on the 30 amp fuse. I never had a problem with mine, but I will replace it with a 40 amp. Be aware that by removing the aux battery, you've eliminated any issues I'm aware of that called for the fuse in the jumper to begin with.

Also, after removing the aux battery and wiring, you should be able to just run a cable from the main battery positive to N1, nothing else is needed. That's how Genesis wires their dual battery system when they move the aux battery positive cables to the main battery positive. Since the aux battery positive is connected directly to N1, moving the aux battery cables to the main battery connects the main battery directly to N1. This first diagram shows what that looks like, comparing the stock wiring and the Genesis wiring.
ess aux removal 1.PNG

This leaves redundant wiring from the main battery positive to the PCR and from the PCR to N3. This second diagram compares the Genesis wiring with and without the redundant wiring.
ess aux removal 2.PNG

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's another way you'd like to see it diagrammed.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok... I apologize, cause I'm not great with electrical systems.....Why was the preferred method before to go from N1 to N2 ?.....and now you are going N1 to N3 which allows the Aux Battery to be removed completely ? I have NO interest in ESS and will permanently disable mine when I get my JL....So this is interesting.....
N1 is connected directly to the aux battery and N2 is connected directly to the main battery, so the fused jumper directly connects the two batteries. Connecting to N3 to N1 puts the 150 amp High Capacity fuse in line between the batteries which will work unless that fuse is blown, which it does infrequently (and I suspect due to human error).

You could also connect a fused jumper from the main battery positive to N1 since N2 is the same as (connected to) the main battery positive. I'm always concerned that offering too many options will lead to confusion.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
You guys have gone past confusing me....I wish there was a simple way to bypass the aux battery, my current way is to remove the negative ESS cable and then put a jumper on N1 to N2

Sponsored

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I used to get two lights coming up on my dash (traction control and ESS failed) frequently, especially in stop and go traffic. From what I've read here on the forum it happens because of bad AUX battery. I did an "original" AUX battery bypass with removing the negative AUX battery terminal and jumper between N1 and N2. Thought that should eliminate those two lights on the dash coming on. For a while everything was ok, and lights never came on the dash. However I got the very same lights came yesterday again. Does that mean that my main battery also goes bad? I'm very bad with anything electrical and confused now.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
You guys have gone past confusing me....I wish there was a simple way to bypass the aux battery, my current way is to remove the negative ESS cable and then put a jumper on N1 to N2
There is - just unplug the PCR and disconnect the Aux negative. I've been running this way for 2-3 months with no issues. I think there might be a fuse you can pull in lieu of unplugging the PCR, I've been meaning to check when I have time because I want to do the same o my wife's pacifica and the PCR is much harder to reach ;)

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
@Jebiruph So would you say that the Genesis system is a good enough way to say good bye to that aux battery? I'm thinking of installing that to solve the issue once and for all.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jebiruph So would you say that the Genesis system is a good enough way to say good bye to that aux battery? I'm thinking of installing that to solve the issue once and for all.
My plan is to eventually re-purpose the aux battery as a backup/accessory battery, but haven't worked out the details yet. If you want two full size batteries the Genesis system is the only one I've seen. Some have reported charging issues with it, but I think they just need to move the battery sensor to the main battery.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
So, If the Aux Battery is completely removed, does this mean that the ESS system is permanently disabled and there are no issues or warning lights that are problematic ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, If the Aux Battery is completely removed, does this mean that the ESS system is permanently disabled and there are no issues or warning lights that are problematic ?
No, the ESS system is still functioning as a single battery system like the new Cherokee has. And realize that the two battery ESS system is the upgrade to the single battery system.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
I see. So the point of eliminating the AUX Battery is what then ?
Because it is harder to jump if it dies or cause it is acting parasitic on the MAIN Battery ?

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see. So the point of eliminating the AUX Battery is what then ?
Because it is harder to jump if it dies or cause it is acting parasitic on the MAIN Battery ?
I do not advocate for removing the aux battery and when I rewire mine it will be to eliminate the issues related to the unmanaged interaction of the batteries by having some kind of manual management.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Thanks, Jerry. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I do not advocate for removing the aux battery and when I rewire mine it will be to eliminate the issues related to the unmanaged interaction of the batteries by having some kind of manual management.
I like this idea as well, I’m curious what you come up with ...
Sponsored