Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Jebiruph, I have read the entire thread and the spin offs......VERY INFORMATIVE AND THANK YOU !

Can you go through a detailed explanation (for the non mechanically inclined) on how to fabricate your jumper.....what gauge wire has been determined to be best, the fuse size and what rated terminals ? and where do I buy this stuff from ?

Chris
Chris,

You can do this and just crimp on some heavy duty ring connectors, I run mine for weeks at a time and use wing nuts on the terminals

https://powerwerx.com/maxi-inline-fuse-holder-8-gauge-red
Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Thanks, WranglerMan. I did see that link.....is the gauge of the wire sufficient ?

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Can you also suggest what size fuse to add ?

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
A 30 amp fused jumper with 14 AWG wire is what I tested for several weeks and there were no problems. The nice thing about the 14 AWG wire is that it's easy to bend out of the way of the PDC cover. You could go bigger, but this seems to be sufficient.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
If you read all the posts, aren't "mechanically inclined", why wouldn't you simply buy a Jumper from the link above, instead of pestering the guy who has already covered this information ?
:dance::dance:Douchey Award :dance::dance:

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
@Jebiruph ... Just wanted to say thanks for all the work you've put in helping us understand the role of the Aux battery. You saved me from a heart attack last Friday.

We were 15 miles from asphalt when the Jeep needed a second push on the start button to get it to start. Hmmm. Thought I must not have pushed the start button hard enough or long enough the first time. The next start up took three or four pushes before the engine would turn over and start. We immediately headed home with no stops. Once in the garage the Jeep absolutely would not start. That was a close call!

After an all night charge it started right up so that I could take it to the dealer. They ran their normal instrumented tests and said all was okay. I kept asking what caused the problem in the field ... when they couldn't answer that question we agreed to leave it at the dealership for a couple of days so they could do a recheck. Think they skipped the recheck and simply called me to come get it. When I got into the jeep the ESS fault light was on again. Got the mechanic to look at it in front of the service writers. That's when the mechanic decided to dig into it a little deeper. He discovered that the battery wouldn't hold a full charge overnight. So, with a new Aux battery installed (warranty paid $140 for the battery) the Jeep's back to normal.

When the Jeep wouldn't start in the field, I remembered your work and decided not to panic ... realized that a screwdriver would be a great emergency tool to short N1 and N2 to get the Jeep started.

Parts should be here this afternoon to assemble your suggested fused jumper wire ... that should guarantee I never have an Aux battery problem again. So once again, thank you!

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jebiruph ... Just wanted to say thanks for all the work you've put in helping us understand the role of the Aux battery. You saved me from a heart attack last Friday.

We were 15 miles from asphalt when the Jeep needed a second push on the start button to get it to start. Hmmm. Thought I must not have pushed the start button hard enough or long enough the first time. The next start up took three or four pushes before the engine would turn over and start. We immediately headed home with no stops. Once in the garage the Jeep absolutely would not start. That was a close call!

After an all night charge it started right up so that I could take it to the dealer. They ran their normal instrumented tests and said all was okay. I kept asking what caused the problem in the field ... when they couldn't answer that question we agreed to leave it at the dealership for a couple of days so they could do a recheck. Think they skipped the recheck and simply called me to come get it. When I got into the jeep the ESS fault light was on again. Got the mechanic to look at it in front of the service writers. That's when the mechanic decided to dig into it a little deeper. He discovered that the battery wouldn't hold a full charge overnight. So, with a new Aux battery installed (warranty paid $140 for the battery) the Jeep's back to normal.

When the Jeep wouldn't start in the field, I remembered your work and decided not to panic ... realized that a screwdriver would be a great emergency tool to short N1 and N2 to get the Jeep started.

Parts should be here this afternoon to assemble your suggested fused jumper wire ... that should guarantee I never have an Aux battery problem again. So once again, thank you!
Thanks, your appreciation is appreciated. It really bothered me that people were getting stranded and needing towed just to find out they had a bad battery. Too much time was being spent complaining about the ESS system, time that should be spent complaining about steering issues like a real jeep forum (no complaints about my steering). ;) I'm glad the information was helpful and probably saved your life. :like:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
In addition to the excellent jumper wire idea I recommend everyone buy and carry a spare high current fuse bar for their JL's, I found one for around $60 and it lives in my glove box now. I won't let a blown fuse be one of the many 'features" that leaves me stranded.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
In addition to the excellent jumper wire idea I recommend everyone buy and carry a spare high current fuse bar for their JL's, I found one for around $60 and it lives in my glove box now. I won't let a blown fuse be one of the many 'features"
100% agree a LOT of people do not realize they clip down in there and are replaceable AND what kind of issues they can bring if one or more of them go bad on it

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In addition to the excellent jumper wire idea I recommend everyone buy and carry a spare high current fuse bar for their JL's, I found one for around $60 and it lives in my glove box now. I won't let a blown fuse be one of the many 'features"
You could make a higher current jumper that holds higher capacity fuses to temporarily bypass a blown high current fuse. It would go from the main battery positive to the N terminal with the blown fuse. You would probably want to use the jumper until you were sure that whatever blew the fuse was fixed before replacing the whole fuse bar. I found 100 amp blade fuses, one or two of those (in parallel) should work as an emergency bypass for any blown high current fuse.

oliver8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover Discovery3
You could make a higher current jumper that holds higher capacity fuses to temporarily bypass a blown high current fuse. It would go from the main battery positive to the N terminal with the blown fuse. You would probably want to use the jumper until you were sure that whatever blew the fuse was fixed before replacing the whole fuse bar. I found 100 amp blade fuses, one or two of those (in parallel) should work as an emergency bypass for any blown high current fuse.
Great thread jebiruph! Just wondering has anyone bypassed and removed the aux battery? I am going to fit 3.3 falcon shocks on righ hand drive (Australian) model jlu rubicon and the remote resevoir wont fit in position because the aux battery is in the way. (Battery and fuses are now on the lefthand side),So i am going to use a Tazer to delete the ASS and want to remove the aux battery. Thanks

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great thread jebiruph! Just wondering has anyone bypassed and removed the aux battery? I am going to fit 3.3 falcon shocks on righ hand drive (Australian) model jlu rubicon and the remote resevoir wont fit in position because the aux battery is in the way. (Battery and fuses are now on the lefthand side),So i am going to use a Tazer to delete the ASS and want to remove the aux battery. Thanks
I bypassed and electrically disconnected mine for several weeks, I don't know anyone who physically removed it.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
The Genesis dual battery kit deletes the aux battery, but it adds a second full size group 25 battery up higher, not sure if they make it for wrong side drivers.
Sponsored