Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Just completed two weeks with the Aux battery bypassed. No difference in the operation of the jeep, I actually forgot it was bypassed. Bypassing hasn't changed the running voltage, still running around 14.7 v.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Seems it hit and miss on the voltages running high, some say 14+ all the time and others like me reporting voltages are between 12.6-14 depending on whatā€™s going on, super glad to hear your bypass invention has worked without issues, so do you use a programmer like a Tazer or Flashcal and do you use ESS

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Just completed two weeks with the Aux battery bypassed. No difference in the operation of the jeep, I actually forgot it was bypassed. Bypassing hasn't changed the running voltage, still running around 14.7 v.
Iā€™m curiously waiting for you to take the momentous leap and completely remove the auxiliary battery from your vehicle.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems it hit and miss on the voltages running high, some say 14+ all the time and others like me reporting voltages are between 12.6-14 depending on whatā€™s going on, super glad to hear your bypass invention has worked without issues, so do you use a programmer like a Tazer or Flashcal and do you use ESS
No programmer and I intend to always disable ESS, but the times I forget, it always works as designed.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m curiously waiting for you to take the momentous leap and completely remove the auxiliary battery from your vehicle.
I don't have any plans to physically remove it, but with the ground cable disconnected there is no electricity flowing through it, so it is electrically removed. It does provide a benefit when it works, so as long as I can bypass it when it doesn't, it will stay in unless I install a real dual battery system.

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I don't have any plans to physically remove it, but with the ground cable disconnected there is no electricity flowing through it, so it is electrically removed. It does provide a benefit when it works, so as long as I can bypass it when it doesn't, it will stay in unless I install a real dual battery system.
Iā€™m interested in making it more simple. Do we really know how long this aux battery will last and what it will cost for replacement? As everyone knows a standard automotive battery lasts at least 5 years with a simple replacement procedure. From what Iā€™ve seen from other auto manufacturers, aux batteries only last about 2 years, canā€™t be easily purchased only through dealers and are very expensive.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m interested in making it more simple. Do we really know how long this aux battery will last and what it will cost for replacement? As everyone knows a standard automotive battery lasts at least 5 years with a simple replacement procedure. From what Iā€™ve seen from other auto manufacturers, aux batteries only last about 2 years, canā€™t be easily purchased only through dealers and are very expensive.
You don't have to rely on the experience of other auto manufacturers, FCA already had this system in place on other vehicles, check out some of those forums. I looked up the PCR part number (56029766AC) and then referenced which vehicles used the part. I got the most information on a Pacifica forum. Let's just say I don't have much hope things will improve.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Jebiruph Iā€™m thinking when my ESS battery takes a crap outside of warranty Iā€™m thinking just bypass it as you have with the bypass cable kit you invented and just use the main battery

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jebiruph Iā€™m thinking when my ESS battery takes a crap outside of warranty Iā€™m thinking just bypass it as you have with the bypass cable kit you invented and just use the main battery
Don't wait until it goes bad to bypass it, if you're going to do it, bypass it while it is still good. Then if your main battery is not able crank the starter, you have a functional backup available.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't have to rely on the experience of other auto manufacturers, FCA already had this system in place on other vehicles, check out some of those forums. I looked up the PCR part number (56029766AC) and then referenced which vehicles used the part. I got the most information on a Pacifica forum. Let's just say I don't have much hope things will improve.
I will suggest that the ESS battery issues probably haven't been as big of an issue on the other vehicles as they are on the Wrangler because the other vehicles are less likely to get stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
To enlighten us all with this knowledge, do you know how long the aux battery lasts and what is its replacement cost?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To enlighten us all with this knowledge, do you know how long the aux battery lasts and what is its replacement cost?
According to my notes, somebody posted a battery part number of BBAUA200AD, which I see priced around $120. As far as battery life, everything I have read is anecdotal, so no set time for how long it lasts. But based on posts in related forums, other vehicles seem to have similar failures. You would have to read them for yourself and make your own conclusion.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
For me itā€™s not so much the cost or using tools to put it in itā€™s the hassle it will be getting to it, like I have said FCA did a terrible job in placement of this ESS battery

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Iā€™m wondering/hoping that the ESS hood switch deactivation will allow a maximum lifespan for this aux battery. Also if this battery does fail will you still be able to start and drive the Jeep?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m wondering/hoping that the ESS hood switch deactivation will allow a maximum lifespan for this aux battery. Also if this battery does fail will you still be able to start and drive the Jeep?
Well if your wondering if the aux battery fails will you still be able to drive your JL you need to catchup on the battery bypass invention that @Jebiruph created, he ran with this bypass on for several weeks I believe and the ESS battery was disconnected and I donā€™t believe he had any issues.
Sponsored