Sponsored

3.6L ESS Aux Battery Bypass

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
You don't have to rely on the experience of other auto manufacturers, FCA already had this system in place on other vehicles, check out some of those forums. I looked up the PCR part number (56029766AC) and then referenced which vehicles used the part. I got the most information on a Pacifica forum. Let's just say I don't have much hope things will improve.
I agree that is why I am selling my Wrangler after owning 4 jeeps I don’t need to worry about this stupid set up. Had I known this from the beginning I would not have bought one. Anyway thank you for the excellent write up buy again for the cost of these vehicles we shouldn’t have to be going through this.
Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

What would be awesome is if someone figured out a way to isolate the batteries in such a way that you can run accessories on one battery with no fear of killing the other, so you can easily start your rig if one dies...without having to run an aftermarket dual battery setup. It doesn't seem there is a way, currently to do this. If you run a fridge without starting the rig, it will eventually kill both batteries it seems, would be nice to make that NOT happen.
What I did after having both batteries replaced under warranty was immediately go home and eliminated the auxiliary battery completely. It is absolutely unnecessary and useless and will only cause headaches and problems. That is my opinion and experience, others feel different I know. I enjoy overlanding so the small compact auxiliary battery that is now new, was the perfect battery to set next to my 12 volt refrigerator in the back. When I get back from my trip I just connected to a trickle charger and it's ready to go again. Because it is warrantied for 3 years I plan on constantly replacing it at the parts department for free every 3 yrs (we'll see how that goes) for a new one. It will now be my fridge battery. Thanks Jeep.

Fitzz47

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Sahara jl
Has anyone with a 2018 that hasn’t had the TSB done. Pulled F42 and Aux. Neg. Had it start and run without issues?

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
What I did after having both batteries replaced under warranty was immediately go home and eliminated the auxiliary battery completely. It is absolutely unnecessary and useless and will only cause headaches and problems. That is my opinion and experience, others feel different I know. I enjoy overlanding so the small compact auxiliary battery that is now new, was the perfect battery to set next to my 12 volt refrigerator in the back. When I get back from my trip I just connected to a trickle charger and it's ready to go again. Because it is warrantied for 3 years I plan on constantly replacing it at the parts department for free every 3 yrs (we'll see how that goes) for a new one. It will now be my fridge battery. Thanks Jeep.

If I was into sleeping in may car, I mean, overlanding ;) I would get a battery selector switch like for a boat, and hook it up so I could select main, AUX, or both batteries. Then I would connect it to the negatives, and I would turn it to AUX when the vehicle is off for an overnight, then back to main to start, then to both for awhile to charge the AUX. Or I might even drive for 30 minutes on main after starting to recharge the main, then switch to the aux for awhile to charge it, then back to the main.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Has anyone with a 2018 that hasn’t had the TSB done. Pulled F42 and Aux. Neg. Had it start and run without issues?
Mine... no TSB... 2018 JLU Sport here... no issues after pulling F42 and disconnecting Aux negative terminal

Sponsored

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
If I was into sleeping in may car, I mean, overlanding ;) I would get a battery selector switch like for a boat, and hook it up so I could select main, AUX, or both batteries. Then I would connect it to the negatives, and I would turn it to AUX when the vehicle is off for an overnight, then back to main to start, then to both for awhile to charge the AUX. Or I might even drive for 30 minutes on main after starting to recharge the main, then switch to the aux for awhile to charge it, then back to the main.
This is what I want to do. Haven't seen anybody else really do it without expensive parts though.

Seve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I own a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon. I bypassed the auxillary battery by removing fuse F42 and removing the negative cable to the auxillary battery. Car is running fine, but my rear backup camera is now not working. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I own a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon. I bypassed the auxillary battery by removing fuse F42 and removing the negative cable to the auxillary battery. Car is running fine, but my rear backup camera is now not working. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks!
One should have nothing to do with the other. Put the fuse and cable back. Does it start working?

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
One should have nothing to do with the other. Put the fuse and cable back. Does it start working?
Is there a separate fuse for the rear camera? Maybe it got knocked loose. I'd make sure all your fuses are well seated.

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I did this as well and was working fine until this past weekend when the service ESS icon appeared again. I pulled the neg from the main battery (Odyssey brand) and upon reconnection the service ESS went away. You may try that to see if your camera restores.

Sponsored

Seve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I waited a day and my rear backup camera started working. Thanks guys.

orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Clubs

Just to be clear here, does bypassing the aux battery completely eliminate the "Start Stop System Not Ready" warning?

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Just to be clear here, does bypassing the aux battery completely eliminate the "Start Stop System Not Ready" warning?
No, it's not directly related to that warning. Bypassing the aux battery allows you to disconnect the aux battery without turning on the warning light in the dash.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

No, it's not directly related to that warning. Bypassing the aux battery allows you to disconnect the aux battery without turning on the warning light in the dash.
The biggest benefit you won't be stranded when the auxiliary battery fails. You can use your auxiliary battery jumper which many have these days or your good old battery jumper cables if you could find someone to help. Second advantage you'll never need to replace the auxiliary battery it's worthless and is a leading cause to many malfunctions.