pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I am at a Jeep Jamboree that has some steep rock climbs. Yesterday, I was working to get up one of the climbs and as soon as I'm up, the jeep starts blowing lots of white smoke. After moving forward a while, it seems to all burn off and the no longer comes out the tailpipe. No engine lights at all, jeep runs fine.

Anyone else experience this?

I also have a 2013 JLUR with the Pentastar and it's never had an issue.

FB_IMG_1616288388644.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
pokey02

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all. I will look into the catch can.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pokey02

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Money all aside, which of the two options is the best solution?

A reputable catch can, or the Teraflex Crancase Vent System Kit? 🤔

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I like my catch can - UPR

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
I like my catch can - UPR
I believe you, but in theory, if you were to be on an incline, for far too long, wouldn't it fill the catch can, right up to the brim?

The Teraflex thingy, instead of collecting the oil, it would instead dump the excess oil, right back down to the oil pan again.

I think the latter sounds like a much better solution? Do I have this right to begin with?

Thinking out loud here, anyone out there, please feel free, and correct me where I'm wrong lol

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you, but in theory, if you were to be on an incline, for far too long, wouldn't it fill the catch can, right up to the brim?

The Teraflex thingy, instead of collecting the oil, it would instead dump the excess oil, right back down to the oil pan again.

I think the latter sounds like a much better solution? Do I have this right to begin with?

Thinking out loud here, anyone out there, please feel free, and correct me where I'm wrong lol
I guess it would depend on how long. I have been on some steep inclines for some minutes (<5) and have not filled it. In normal driving it takes about 2K miles to fill it just below the diffuser, so I am in the habit of dumping mine (into a waste oil jug) every 2K miles.

If you have seen the oil that collects in the can, it contains far more carbon and is much dirtier than the oil circulating in the engine. I would not want that oil re-introduced into my oil pan, but that is just me.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Money all aside, which of the two options is the best solution?

A reputable catch can, or the Teraflex Crancase Vent System Kit? 🤔
We found that during testing that every catch can style we tested would fill up with oil pretty quickly once a high angle was reached. Once the catch can filled up, it would start pulling the oil into the intake system; and on a few tests the smoke was actually worse as it would create a syphon effect and completely empty the catch can into the intake. With our crankcase vent system this cannot happen since the oil is not "stored" in anywhere being that it is rerouted back into the engine.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We found that during testing that every catch can style we tested would fill up with oil pretty quickly once a high angle was reached. Once the catch can filled up, it would start pulling the oil into the intake system; and on a few tests the smoke was actually worse as it would create a syphon effect and completely empty the catch can into the intake. With our crankcase vent system this cannot happen since the oil is not "stored" in anywhere being that it is rerouted back into the engine.
Are videos of those tests posted anywhere (not the marketing video)?

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Are videos of those tests posted anywhere (not the marketing video)?
The only videos we have are the ones in our marketing videos unfortunately. We did the testing on our crankcase vent system out at local wheeling spots here in Utah like in the marketing video, and by using a forklift to raise and tilt the Jeep that the kit was installed on with the engine running to replicate the smoking issue.