Sponsored

3.6L “Tick” Rocker Arm Failure.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
Has anyone with the newer Jeep JL’s experience this problem?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DUNE RAP

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
About 50k now it's a fairly early 18. It does go away. Sounds like a lifter maybe. Been good about changing the oil. Current oil is about 2k miles.
I only have about 20,000 miles and my engine is solid. I’m trying to figure out if they came out with an updated rocker arm that has fixed the issue. This particular engine is very mass-produced so I would imagine they got it figured out.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I only have about 20,000 miles and my engine is solid. I’m trying to figure out if they came out with an updated rocker arm that has fixed the issue. This particular engine is very mass-produced so I would imagine they got it figured out.
nah, they’re still really bad. They’re easy enough to fix, not worth a redesign.

OP
OP
DUNE RAP

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
nah, they’re still really bad. They’re easy enough to fix, not worth a redesign.
Just got in contact with a Mopar mechanic and he said it’s really rare to see this failure in the JL’s. Maybe they are using different metal???

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Just got in contact with a Mopar mechanic and he said it’s really rare to see this failure in the JL’s. Maybe they are using different metal???
They aren’t. They’ve been the same in the pentastar upgrade engine since 2016. Our engines are just young.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
This was supposedly resolved several years ago and a big recall and class action lawsuit over it.

I am not aware of an open wide-spread design issue on the current 3.6L with the rockers, if you have any documentation would be good to see it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
This was supposedly resolved several years ago and a big recall and class action lawsuit over it.

I am not aware of an open wide-spread design issue on the current 3.6L with the rockers, if you have any documentation would be good to see it.
The current 3.6 is the same as the 2016 grand Cherokee engine. They still have issues, same as most makes and models. Hydraulic lifters beating the hell out of camshafts is a relatively engine problem.

There are ALWAYS class action lawsuits over relatively minor, petty problems, that only serve to fatten the wallets of the law firms that promote them.

Sponsored

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
I do know how to do it but I would not classify that as easy. All relative I guess.
Sponsored