3.6 vs 2.0 turbo?? Which is better??

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Drive both and pick the one you like best. I have a 2019 JLU 3.6 auto and 2021 2.0 JLUR. The 2019 has 31000 miles and the 2021 has 21000. I haven't had a problem with either one. I live at 7000 ft and use 85/86 octane in both and the computers vary between 20-24 mpg, depending on how heavy my foot is and how much up hill driving I've done.
Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Kind of reminds me of when it was time for a new phone and I had to decide between a nice new and improved Razor flip phone or an new phone called iPhone. I picked the Razor because it was the ā€œtried and trueā€ design. I missed out on the new technology because I didnā€™t trust it. Now, I am on my 4th iPhone and am very happy I made the move. I have had a V8 (CJ5) and a V6 (JKUR 3.8) and now, i am pretty sure a 2.0 will be in my next Jeep (JLR). I will be retiring soon and plan on doing a lot of traveling, especially at higher altitudes. The beauty of it is, if I really hate the 2.0, I can always go back to the flip phone, or whatever other option is available. I donā€™t mind doing the maintenance.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Fair enough. But... look at it this way....say you're gonna order a Wrangler and you want the automatic. If you order the 3.6 etorque, it's a $1200 option. If you order the 2.0, its a $500 credit. So, by ordering the 2.0, you'll save $1700. That, combined with fuel savings will let you buy a nice extended warranty and have money left over. Plus, by most accounts, you'll have an engine that's a little more fun to drive. And the 2.0 doesn't include the etorque anymore. I'm guessing you may have more problems with that system than with the 2.0 in general .
ETorque definitely has less problems. Itā€™s also much more costly to replace or repair if problems arise. Comparing the two against one another, ETorque is definitely the better choice. The main positive of the Auxiliary battery set up is that itā€™s easy to delete, giving the owner a traditional one battery set up. With ETorque, youā€™ll have two batteries for the life of the Jeep.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
When are two (younger/not mešŸ˜Ž ) forum members (not mešŸ¤£) going to drag race a 2.0 vs 3.6e?
I will supply the popcorn. šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
i had a 2.0 before my 3.6 w/etorque.
Off the line speed is better but I value the lower NVH, linear acceleration, and low growl of the 3.6 more. That being said, I don't think the 3.6 should be more expensive.

If you like 4banger turbos, you will like the 2.0. I realize I am more of an NA-type though.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Wheeling, trail riding, mountain roads, and interstate driving this weekend at 5500ft - 9300ft made me appreciate my turbo four even more. Lack of a better way to put it, I noticed the "lack of notice" of loss of power delivery or loss. <-- pure mastery of Engrish.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
i had a 2.0 before my 3.6 w/etorque.
Off the line speed is better but I value the lower NVH, linear acceleration, and low growl of the 3.6 more. That being said, I don't think the 3.6 should be more expensive.

If you like 4banger turbos, you will like the 2.0. I realize I am more of an NA-type though.
"Low growl" from the 3.6 šŸ˜‚

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
"Low growl" from the 3.6 šŸ˜‚
Ha. yeah - that might be too much to describe the 3.6 -especially in a vacuum.
I was talking in comparison to the 2.0's higher-pitched whooshing noises...

BlueSweet

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sahara, 15 Mustang GT, 17 Jeep Compass TH
Occupation
Registered Nurse
So this is probably been talked about before but I really want some reviews on who has what engine and how do you like it?

iā€™m going with the automatic but I was so intent on getting the 3.6 L. But I drove a 2.0 liter turbo for about 10 minutes and the low end torque and power was amazing lol. It had a lot more get up and go off the line than the V-6. And i liked that!!!

iā€™m looking to get a brand new 2021 or 2022. I do a good amount of my driving on the highway. If you have one engine over the other, how do you like it? I might do a small lift and 33s but itā€™s my daily driver so nothing too extreme. Is there one engine better than the other? Iā€™m not worried about miles per gallon, that doesnā€™t phase me one bit because my truck now gets 12 lol. But I do see the 2.0 liter turbo gets a little bit better miles per gallon but nonetheless what engine do you have and how do you like it? Thank you so much
I researched before deciding on the 3.6 L. I also spoke with multiple mechanics that I trust completely. The salesman was pushing for the 2.0 L turbo, but I went with my gut and research instead. If I was buying a vehicle for gas mileage, I wouldn't buy any Jeep. But that's just my honest opinion.

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

To some degree this is going to be subjective, and what you prefer. Neither is a bad engine, and neither have massive problem areas. Your best bet is to drive both and then decide.

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I had a 2019 2.0e and now have a 2019 3.6. Hands down I loved and miss my 2.0
it felt quick and agile, plus average 22-24 mpg which added up so I always got around 420 a tank.

now the 3.6 Feels like driving a truck in comparison. mpg is around 20 which adds up when you get around 360-375 a tank. But I went from a sport to a loaded Moab for a 10k difference so it Is what it is. However if they made a Moab with the 2.0 I would be very happy with my purchase.

although without etorque I canā€™t comment how different the 2.0 drives with the 2022ā€™s.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
When are two (younger/not mešŸ˜Ž ) forum members (not mešŸ¤£) going to drag race a 2.0 vs 3.6e?
I will supply the popcorn. šŸ˜‰
There is a video out there somewhere of 2.0 and 3.6 drag racing.

We all know Wranglers are not track or drag strip material. Still, I am surprised a car magazine or channel has not done a 2.0T, 3.6, Diesel, 4xe, 392, Sport, Rubicon, automatic, manual, drag race. Everyone knows the Hemi would win but it would still be fun to see. :LOL: Hook up test gear. Run them all at the same time on a airstrip or something with a drone video taping everything from above.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)

We all know Wranglers are not track or drag strip material. Still, I am surprised a car magazine or channel has not done a 2.0T, 3.6, Diesel, 4xe, 392, Sport, Rubicon, automatic, manual, drag race. Everyone knows the Hemi would win but it would still be fun to see. :LOL: Hook up test gear. Run them all at the same time on a airstrip or something with a drone video taping everything from above.
With our luck, it would probably be the Carwow channel doing it. 392 in 4-low and bogs off the line, 4xe jumps the gun and takes off 3 seconds early for every run. Guy in the manual starts in 2nd and doesn't know when to shift. Same weird shit happens in every one of their drag races.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer

I probably wonā€™t be able to find a 2.0 to race heads up, but iā€™m taking my wifeā€™s 3.6 Sahara to the track next chance I get because why not? I live 20 minutes from the drag strip and they do Friday night street legals. Should be good for 15ā€™s atleast
Sponsored