Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
36k with a similar (different heads) Alfa 2.0. No issues

50k with my 19 Sahara 2.0 eTorque (35’s, mods in sig) no issues.

33k on my 21 Rubicon 3.6 eTorque that is stock. No issues

Which Jeep do we enjoy driving most? The 2.0. Same mpg (within 1 mpg consistently) at this time.

I don’t get the dislike of the noise of the 4cyl. It’s retro to this former engine builder but I guess I’m used to some engines not sounding so …..quiet. I enjoy the mechanical sound. I don’t need exhaust burble unless it’s the new 392.

In the mountains, the 2.0 lost some power but the power loss in the Rubicon was much more noticeable as was the extra downshifting and rpms the 3.6 needed. Which…that makes me wonder about band /clutch pack longevity in the transmissions of a 2.0 vs a 3.6 in hilly or mountainous terrain.

One plus, if you add an engine skid, it would then be easier to change the filter on a 3.6 vs a 2.0. At least with my Asfir skid. Gets messy but I’ll be fixing that soon.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The 392.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
OP, you answered your own question in your post. You drove the 2.0 turbo and from your post it sounds like you loved it.

And yes this topic has been gone over a lot. For me, I had the opportunity before all the COVID mess to test drive 2 V6's with auto trans. And 2 2.0L turbos with auto trans. FOR ME every time I got out of the V6 and hopped in the turbo, the turbo simple out preformed the V6. If you check the online reviews about the 2 engines you will find this is the opinion of most reviews also. If this means anything to you.

Bottom line though, get what you will be happy with.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Also you might want to consider what kind of hogepog, of engine and auto trans Jeep forces you to get.
Last year, if you wanted a automatic with a V6, you had to order the etorque, V6.
Now you can order an automatic, V6 with ESS.
The 392 can only be ordered with full time all wheel drive, which has the transfer case from a Jeep Liberty, CV joints (hogepoge) and you can't buy it any other way.
In 2020, if you wnated an automatic, you had to buy the etorque 4 cylinder and in 2021 etorque 6 cylinder and dropped, etorque, on the 4 cylinder and who know what will be next!

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Last year, if you wanted a automatic with a V6, you had to order the etorque, V6.
Now you can order an automatic, V6 with ESS.
Not on a Rubicon for some reason. Selecting automatic only allows for 2.0T or eTorque and selecting v6 ESS switches the config back to manual. Pretty sure it was like that for '21 as well.

Personally, I think I'd rather deal with the ESS system versus a long-term expense of replacing the mild-hybrid battery, but if I want an automatic 2-door v6 with LED lighting and painted fenders/top, my only choice is a Rubicon with eTorque. Jeep's arbitrary limitations on options are quite annoying, but definitely something to be aware of.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Just came across your post and allow me to simply answer it- my 2019 had the 3.6 it was pretty good but once I lifted and put on the bigger tires seemed to slow down and no issues. I upgraded to a 2021 JLUR with the 2.0l 4cyl and I find it actually runs better-it's a jeep don't care about what it sounds like and would recommend it as a daily driver-mines stays on the road 50% percent of the time-no complaints- but the love on torque off-road is pretty amazing glad I change. Besides on the trails slow is go.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I concur you have to drive them both and then decide.

I owned a 4cyl. wrangler in the 90's and I didn't keep it very long. I said never again. I know, I am stubborn and the new 2.0 is a different beast.

Either one is going to get you from point A-B, but the driving experience is slightly different.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I don’t get the dislike of the noise of the 4cyl. It’s retro to this former engine builder but I guess I’m used to some engines not sounding so …..quiet. I enjoy the mechanical sound. I don’t need exhaust burble unless it’s the new 392.
Agreed. The 2.0 noise reminds me of a tractor, which in a Jeep isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I voted twice.
That's a good idea... I should open it up to multiple choice voting.

mine did at 64k....100k would have been nice
So what you're saying is that at one point you wanted a turbo? But I thought
who the hell wants a turbo

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Get the turbsky, chick's love turbos. If they say they don't just tell em they don't know what they like anyways and hit em with the boost 🤪

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
So what you're saying is that at one point you wanted a turbo? But I thought
in the reference of a Wrangler 4x4 with oversized wheels - yes who the hell would think thats logical. If you have the sport with smaller wheels and use it on the street - thats where a 2.0 turbo will earn its keep based on gas milage and torque bragging.

torque is completely relative to wheel size - you want to push a turbo like that youre begging for that warranty to be a good one.

the turbo i had was not for a off-road "trail rated" jeep .... and it was the biggest regret ive ever made on a purchase in general let alone a vehicle.

Sports car where you want to keep it fun, light, and peppy, tinker with it, tune it, mod it....yeah turbo can be great fun

Econo Car where you live in a place that taxes you based on engine size and you want pop....turbo is the future

2.0 Turbo with 34" wheels and 4x4....hell it works....til it dont.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
As has been beat to death, there is no "better" engine in the 3.6 vs. 2.0 debate. It depends on what attributes are most important to you. The 3.6 makes more torque down low, the 2.0 has better midrange. The 2.0 gets better fuel mileage. The 3.6 is quieter and more refined. Those are the facts.

These are subjective suggestions - if you don't do a lot of towing, don't obsess over NVH (like I do), and want the faster engine, go with the 2.0. If you value refinement highly (especially if you are not used to Wranglers and coming from more luxurious vehicles like I did) and are concerned about long term reliability, go with the V6. The fact is that the V6 is a less complex motor so it has a better chance of remaining trouble-free over the long term. This is all just betting though, since the 2.0 in the Wrangler hasn't been around long enough for us to say that it's particularly reliable or unreliable.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF US HERE TELL YOU THAT ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER OVERALL. Go check them both out and decide for yourself. Like I said, it's a personal preference-based decision. I chose the 3.6 because it's more refined and has a better long-term outlook. But some people don't even have "refinement" as a requirement on their list at all, and the 2.0 could prove to be even more reliable than the 3.6. So you can't let me or any one else here steer you.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The one in my driveway, duh?!

I have the 2.0T, had the 3.6 in a JKU. More than the engine, I'm in love with the transmission. JLU is superior in driveability to the JKU.
For me, I like the 2.0T. I like the exhaust noise as for me it's reminicent to my family's CJ5 and CJ3B. It's a fun drive. Got a full set of tools, a garage and consider myself at least a six banana mechanic so turbo replacement sound more like opportunity than concern.
Sponsored